Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing Mystery Canyon in May - some questions about ropes

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver
    Sometimes you will see the Mystery Springs rappel listed as 150' I think this includes the 30' traverse to get over to the chains. This is usually pre-rigged with webbing, but don't count on it!
    I want to cut that webbing every time i do Mystery. It seems someone places a new bolt in that location every year and it's not needed. Avoid the traverse completely by dropping strait down under the bolder where you'll find another bolt that will get you to the bottom.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've staged the Mystery Springs Rappel a lot of times. I always find lots of cool booty in that pothole/pool. From the huge chokestone to the bottom is also a reasonable downclimb for an experianced canyoneer. I've down climbed it before and many of you are better climbers than I.
    You beat me to it. That's how we used to do it in the old days until the boyscouts decided to place an army of bolts off to the left just so they can avoid a little water.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection
    AG 23: Regardless of whether the Park issues a permit (because of water levels) it's prudent to ask why ropes for simply Mystery? Pine Ck. Spry and possibly Behunin (and many others) will be knocking on the door after your Mystery venture, and will you (again) want to buy new ropes for those ventures? I doubt it. If you can find the rope off a spool, a 210 (which then shrinks) would be a first choice and a 200ft. or so 6mm pull line; or a mix of a 9m 60meter and an 8m 60meter. Tom's/Imlay 8.3 canyon fire is a nice sturdy canyon line that I can recommend. The BW Canyon DS 9mm (which is like an 8.5) could be one's 9mm line....
    "Imlay and Sterling are less expensive than pricey BW. Good Luck. Also, if you can't get into Mystery in late May, try Spry and Pine Creek - at least for starters. There you will want one or two 200 ft. lines (and in Spry another rope or pull cord).
    The Canyon Fire looks like a great rope. The only question is what length... I see Spray and Behunun described as needing 50m ropes. Is that correct?

(and none of this "well if you down-climb part way and jump the last 30 ft, all you need is a roll of duct tape and your shoelaces" stuff.)

I gather Spray and Behunun were more difficult then Mystery, so I wasn't going to try them until we had a few more canyons under our belts. (we're a bunch of noobs. We've done the Subway and Keyhole, and we're intermediate rock climbers so we're fine trying in to anchors.) Would it be crazy to try without more experience?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I wouldn't say Spry is more difficult. I think it easier. The big rappel is just a long slanting rap with one section at the end no more than 10ft near verticle.

Behunin has a couple big raps with the last one being free hanging. This rap has more consideration for rigging with enough friction to complete the rap smoothly. Important to know how to rig more friction on the fly on large raps & overhangs. EDIT: and to hang your packs from the harness on overhang near verticle.

Where you guys at, when are you going. I'd may be willing to help a couple noobs out.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I wouldn't say Spry is more difficult. I think it easier. The big rappel is just a long slanting rap with one section at the end no more than 10ft near verticle.

Behunin has a couple big raps with the last one being free hanging. This rap has more consideration for rigging with enough friction to complete the rap smoothly. Important to know how to rig more friction on the fly on large raps & overhangs.

Where you guys at, when are you going. I'd may be willing to help a couple noobs out.
    We're in NYC now. We'll be in Zion from May 26th to 30th.

But damn, with Mystery iffy due to water levels, and Pine, Keyhole and Spry all iffy with the construction, the whole trip is in doubt.

Any other canyons that might be do-able to salvage this trip?

Quote Originally Posted by ag23
    No shortage of canyons in Southern Utah.... where are you flying into?

Fat man's Misery should be in prime condition at the end of May.

Misery Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/misery1.htm

Subway should be good, apply today for permits. use the Das Boot Entrance for a bigger bang.

Subway
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway.htm

Das Boot
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/boot.htm

Yankee Doodle is close and nice, ditto Red Cave

Yankee Doodle
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/yankee.htm

Red Cave
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/redcave.htm

And to top it off... The longest slot canyon in the world is located about one hour outside Zion

Buckskin Gulch
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

Personally I think Buckskin should be #1 on every slot canyon enthusiast's list if they haven't done it already. There is nothing else like it in the world.

Easy to add anther dozen or more canyons to this list that are in or near Zion. Check out other options here

Zion Area Canyons
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/index.htm

No shortage of canyons in Southern Utah.... where are you flying into?
    We're flying in to Las Vagas for a 8 day trip - hitting Buckskin (My third time - it is an great hike!), then some smaller canyons (bull valley and others), a day in Bryce, and finally Zion for four days.

The Subway has been booked up for a while. (The Das Boot appears open until you get to the last step, then it says it is full too.)

Misery Canyon, Yankee Doodle, Red Cave all look great! Thanks!

so will I

another canyon Ice left off that will be outside the park is Birch.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The Zion Narrows Rappel (last rappel) could also be staged with a shorter rope. Just downstream there are some trees about mid-way down that would make a fair transfer station. See the pictures below....
    I've 'staged' the last Mystery Rap, and it is about 90' to a secure stance. Not advised. Those trees up there are not real strong, being on a small patch of mud on the side of a cliff.

My best guess is 115' for the last rap and 110' for the Mystery Springs Rappel. And YES, that includes the (in this case minimal) run up to the anchors.

The third-class stroll to the anchors of the Mystery Springs rappel is not "usually fixed". Unfortunately, people often leave trash in the form of a 'safety line' across the ledge. While it is probably a good 'safety line' for the party that puts it in, for subsequent parties who cannot assess how the 'safety line' is attached at the far end, I declaim that the safety of the line is highly dubious - use at your own risk. A better solution is to set up a retrievable safety line, like a retrievable rappel, for your party, if appropriate.

I'd give it 50-50 that Mystery will be available at the last few days of May.

120' is a great length of rope for Zion and elsewhere in Utah.

No, you do not need shorter ropes for the shorter rappels. The "modern method" is to use Rope Bags so that you do not coil the rope, but only pull out and use that part of the rope needed for the particular rappel. Or you can get your coiling down really well, whatever!

Tom

so will I

another canyon Ice left off that will be outside the park is Birch.

Something else to think about is, if the roadworks are an issue - if lines get long - you might be best off staying on one side of the tunnel/park for a couple of days, and the other side for a couple, and doing the canyons on each side. Better than going back and forth a number of times, and being at the mercy of line-ups (car, rather than permit).

Last I looked, Das Boot is available, but you have to make a lollipop loop, back up and out before the Subway. It's just the Subway that's full.

50/50? This year? Really? Tom, you're way more optimistic than I expected! Have you looked at your driveway lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Last I looked, Das Boot is available, but you have to make a lollipop loop, back up and out before the Subway. It's just the Subway that's full.
    Would Das Boot stop flowing by then. I would expect a flowing Das Boot is only for experts (not the place for noobs and intermediates).

Would Das Boot stop flowing by then. I would expect a flowing Das Boot is only for experts (not the place for noobs and intermediates).
    Like all canyons, depends on the amount of flow I suspect. I've done both Das Boot and Pine creek the day after flooding. Both were still flowing and I must say, they were both an absolute blast. Both had only moderate flow and doable. Not sure I would consider myself an expert but I have a lot fun trying to get good at this stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Life is Good

The Subway/Das Boot usually flows strong for about a week and than settles down to what we all know and love. And the run-off is normally earlier than May.... or at least that has been my experiance. YMMV

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    50/50? This year? Really? Tom, you're way more optimistic than I expected! Have you looked at your driveway lately?
    Sunny and warm makes me optimistic. Sunny and Warm right now, so I'm thinking it COULD be open by then.

eh?

Tom