Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing Mystery Canyon in May - some questions about ropes

Doing Mystery Canyon in May - some questions about ropes

Hey,
    I'm doing Zion's Mystery Canyon in May, and I'm trying to figure out what length of rope to buy. I checked a couple of guides, and they list the longest rappel as between 110' and 135', and they aren't clear if that includes the height of the rappel and the distance the to anchors, or if it's just the rappel length.

So how long of a rope do I need?

Also, I know people often bring a shorter rope for the shorter rappels. Any suggestions how what a handy length for that is?

-AG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Doing Mystery Canyon in May - some questions about ropes

Quote Originally Posted by ag23
    Hey,
    I'm doing Zion's Mystery Canyon in May, and I'm trying to figure out what length of rope to buy. I checked a couple of guides, and they list the longest rappel as between 110' and 135', and they aren't clear if that includes the height of the rappel and the distance the to anchors, or if it's just the rappel length.

So how long of a rope do I need?
    Last rappel is the longest at 120 feet. So, you'd need two 120's. Or, 120 for rappelling and 120 for a pull cord.

Easiest is to just carry two 50 or 60m ropes, and, use one doubled for the shorter rappels.

I'd be more worried about water levels in the Narrows in May...you might not get a permit? Could be really high flow by that time....

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Sometimes you will see the Mystery Springs rappel listed as 150' I think this includes the 30' traverse to get over to the chains. This is usually pre-rigged with webbing, but don't count on it!

My crew does Mystery with a 210' and a 120' although you will have to tie the 120' or 30' of something to the bottom of the 210' in order to pull it all down on the last two rappels. If you tie the bottom of the 210' rope to the top of the rope bag, the tie-on is very easy to do and can be done before you even start the rappel. Obviously these rope lengths will not work if you rappel double strand.

We rap everything single strand and never use pull cord. It is a good idea to use the ACA's recommendation of required rope = 3x the longest rappel. 120 x 3 = 360' The 210 + 120 only gives us 330' so we bring along lots of webbing in case we need to extend the pull by 30'.

Hope this is not too much techno-babble and have a great trip! Brian is right, you might not get a permit in May if the Virgin is running high. It probably will be, considering the insane snowpack down there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Last rappel is the longest at 120 feet. So, you'd need two 120's. Or, 120 for rappelling and 120 for a pull cord.
    I can verify everything Brian told ya. 115' is the actual length of the max rappel so 120' ropes give you plenty of extra for knot tying and stuff.

And FWIW: I've actually measured the rappels in Mystery. Mystery Springs (second to last) is 115', Zion Narrows (last) is 115'. All other rappels are 50' or less.

I'd be more worried about water levels in the Narrows in May...you might not get a permit? Could be really high flow by that time....
    I'm guessing there's probably less than a 5% chance of getting a permit by the end of May. Earlier in May? 0.000001%

"It would take a miracle." - Miracle Max

Good luck, though, the canyon's a beauty! (I've got a reservation for May 23 - hope it works out!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    I'm guessing there's probably less than a 5% chance of getting a permit by the end of May. Earlier in May? 0.000001%

"It would take a miracle." - Miracle Max

Good luck, though, the canyon's a beauty! (I've got a reservation for May 23 - hope it works out!)

5%? Really? ouch. I checked out of the average flow rate records and figured I had a better then 50/50 chance. Has it been a heavy snow year?

I have mine for the 27th, so lets for a early spring.

Quote Originally Posted by ag23

5%? Really? ouch. I checked out of the average flow rate records and figured I had a better then 50/50 chance. Has it been a heavy snow year?

I have mine for the 27th, so lets for a early spring.
    Some info reading: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...=20434&start=0

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    I think the Snotel data is more applicable, shows 173% of average:

http://tinyurl.com/yfuxuhg

Tom
    above is a quote from an earlier thread from data bout 1 month ago: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200169

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    using the data from Don's link the snow pack above normal % has decreased from 173% to 165% (note this month nrcs switch from % of average to % different from avg I've converted to keep the measurement the same as % of average) but the snow totals are still more than 2008 & 2009. About the same decrease for Narrows headwaters. Still sticken with my prediction later than 2009 around June 3-5th. This all depends on snow storm snow volume this month and when the thaw starts (late march, early april, or late april).

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Still sticken with my prediction later than 2009 around June 3-5th. This all depends on snow storm snow volume this month and when the thaw starts (late march, early april, or late april).
    I'm going to go with the third, cuz that's the day I fly back to Vancouver!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Still sticken with my prediction later than 2009 around June 3-5th. This all depends on snow storm snow volume this month and when the thaw starts (late march, early april, or late april).
    I'm going to go with the third, cuz that's the day I fly back to Vancouver!
    It's official then. Isn't that really how that happens, always just the day after you leave.

FWIW, last time it snowed this much the narrows didn't open till June. How warm it gets and how early etc... will determine what happens this year but I'm just sayin. We did Imlay that year just after the narrows opened. Keeping the suits on and floating most of the hike out was great fun, just let the rocks hit your feet before your butt!

Floatin the narrows in the first part of June is the only way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Just do the last rap with a 60m rope doubled, it's not that difficult to do it short a few feet of rope.

Quote Originally Posted by nonot
    Just do the last rap with a 60m rope doubled, it's not that difficult to do it short a few feet of rope.
    With this method, you end up exactly 34 feet short.

Not sure about that math...

Shane says 115'. Lets see, with a 60m rope, that's 200' give or take a couple.

Toss in, say, 5% elongation...

My math says you'll only be 10 feet or so short.

Given that some rope manuf's cut their ropes a bit long...

I dunno. I'd do it with a single 70m rope, for sure. I'd measure any 60m fairly closely. Some shrink an amazing amount when wet....

If you did come up short, I'd imagine a talented climber type could probably find a way to carefully down climb....(!)...

There's rumor that a SLC guy climbed up to the last rappel from the river. Tom might know (DH?).

-Brian in SLC

I get it now, we're talking apples and oranges here. You are correct for a double rope rappel. You'd end up about 10 feet above the river with neither end touching the ground.

I was talking about how short the pull side would be on a blocked single rope rap. Even with stretch on a 200 ft. rope, (which I forgot to include the first time) it'd be about 25 feet off the ground.

But this whole conversation is sort of stupid. Why not just bring enough rope? That ten foot climbdown/jump/fall into murky water is not a good idea.

If someone climbed up from the bottom, that is quite a feat. That wall can be one slippery mofo!

AG 23: Regardless of whether the Park issues a permit (because of water levels) it's prudent to ask why ropes for simply Mystery? Pine Ck. Spry and possibly Behunin (and many others) will be knocking on the door after your Mystery venture, and will you (again) want to buy new ropes for those ventures? I doubt it. If you can find the rope off a spool, a 210 (which then shrinks) would be a first choice and a 200ft. or so 6mm pull line; or a mix of a 9m 60meter and an 8m 60meter. Tom's/Imlay 8.3 canyon fire is a nice sturdy canyon line that I can recommend. The BW Canyon DS 9mm (which is like an 8.5) could be one's 9mm line. Back to Mystery: Ropes/will be a function of how many people in your group, what weight of rope you are willing to carry and in part, what your experience level is. I'd have extra length of rope for the Mystery Springs "pull" and if you have more than 3 on your trip I'd have at least two ropes 120 or more, that can be used prior to Mystery Springs so two groups could keep moving. Last year at the first rap, my buddy and I came upon a couple from Seattle. (This was their first ever CP technical canyon - they said they were climbers.) They asked if we wanted to pass through (rap on their rope), I looked at their line, felt it and said NOPE! It was a 200 ft. white hardware rope - that died on them 2 raps later. (they used our ropes thereafter) Also note; ropes, when rapped on, exposed to water and gunk will shrink, and they wear out. Presently I'd only trust static 'poly" canyon lines from Imlay, BW & Sterling. (I also have nylon PMI ropes for "special niche canyon situations.) "Imlay and Sterling are less expensive than pricey BW. Good Luck. Also, if you can't get into Mystery in late May, try Spry and Pine Creek - at least for starters. There you will want one or two 200 ft. lines (and in Spry another rope or pull cord).

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver
    If someone climbed up from the bottom, that is quite a feat. That wall can be one slippery mofo!
    Heard tell. Was apparently on that Turville video for OLN or some such. They wanted some video of the last rappel and didn't want to expend the effort to do the whole canyon.

Speakin' of ropes...yeah...my only trip through Mystery was solo and I humped two old 60m ice climbing ropes up from the bottom. Didn't seem too bad.

-Brian in SLC

For what it's worth.... the Mystery Springs Rappel (2nd to last) can be staged and the longest rappel ends up being about 75'. If you stage the rappel you want to drop into the pool/pothole behind the huge chokestone. You will find two bolts with hangers hidden back under the chokestone.

The Zion Narrows Rappel (last rappel) could also be staged with a shorter rope. Just downstream there are some trees about mid-way down that would make a fair transfer station. See the pictures below....

I've looked at staging the Zion Narrows Rappel but never done it. I had the info filed away in my memory for an emergency situation. I've also heard the story about climbing Mystery Falls and figured they went up where the trees are. I looked it over and figured a good climber could do it.

I've staged the Mystery Springs Rappel a lot of times. I always find lots of cool booty in that pothole/pool. From the huge chokestone to the bottom is also a reasonable downclimb for an experianced canyoneer. I've down climbed it before and many of you are better climbers than I.