Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Show us YOUR ride:

I ride a 29er hardtail. I had it at 23lbs ride weight with pedals and everything. Not bad for an XXL size bike. This past summer I swapped out several of the crazy lite components for a more comfortable riding experience which, honestly, I've enjoyed much more. I put on heavier, beefier tires for better handling and grip on rough trails. I swapped out the carbon racing saddle for one with more cush for my tush. I swapped Eggbeaters for Candy's. Carbon frame, wheels and handlebar still keeps it fairly lite, it's just not where it used to be. The photo is how I have it set up today. The bike rocks on the CC trails. During the summer though, I stay up AF Canyon for the most part and often wish for full suspension. Being older, I'm thinking I'll probably go full suspension in the next year or two.
    I'm glad to see Fezzari has upped their game. It's a solid bike now. They also got rid of their awful warranty which, up until 2 years ago, read "The warranty is void if you race OR TRAIN TO RACE".Name:  Bike.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  106.8 KB
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  IMG_0414.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  130.8 KB

Ahhh...new tires and a new chain. Ready to rock, baby.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

4. Likes devo_stevo, accadacca, blueeyes liked this post
    Looks like I never mentioned it here, but I picked up a new ride back in December... Fezzari Signal Peck.

Aren't the bikes these days amazing? I was perusing this thread and looking at everyone's ride from 8,9,10 years ago and those things are like dinosaurs compared to what's being produced these days.

The wider hub spacing, along with the demise of the quick link really set it off.

The Yeti I have (pictured above) is absolutely incredible...it's like a rocket ship. I find it hard to believe that several years from now I'll look at that picture and think "Wow, look at that relic"! How much better can they get?
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

7. Likes accadacca, blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Looks like I never mentioned it here, but I picked up a new ride back in December... Fezzari Signal Peck.
    now that you have a few rides on the fezz... how is it?

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    So far I'm liking it a lot... I need to drop 10 pounds so I can compare my times to last year. My Salsa was an awesome bike so it's not a huge improvement.

10. Likes double moo liked this post
    New rear hub day. I have a nice carbon wheelset. The rims have been bullet proof and do make for a more comfortable ride. I've just never been happy with the rear hub, though. Sloppy engagement- too much play before the pawls engage. Where I really noticed the sloppy engagement was when climbing a techy trail or pedaling through rock gardens. It really bugged me. So, I just had the rear wheel rebuilt with an i9 hub. Did my first ride on it Saturday. Instant engagement is a huge improvement plus the hub weighs nearly 100 grams less. Win, win!

Name:  Wheel Hub Rebuild 2019.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  i9 Hub.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  79.6 KB
    Are we there yet?

12. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    New rear hub day. I have a nice carbon wheelset. The rims have been bullet proof and do make for a more comfortable ride. I've just never been happy with the rear hub, though. Sloppy engagement- too much play before the pawls engage. Where I really noticed the sloppy engagement was when climbing a techy trail or pedaling through rock gardens. It really bugged me. So, I just had the rear wheel rebuilt with an i9 hub. Did my first ride on it Saturday. Instant engagement is a huge improvement plus the hub weighs nearly 100 grams less. Win, win!

]
    Plus the benefit of sounding like a swarm of bees coming down the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Plus the benefit of sounding like a swarm of bees coming down the trail.
    Haha, yeah. Maybe I can ditch the handlebar bell now! Honestly I thought it'd be louder than it actually is. Kinda digging it...for now.
    Are we there yet?

I now have answers.... My new Fezzari Signal Peak is lapping closed circuits at 6% faster then my 2012 Salsa Spearfish II. The Salsa was considered a very nice XC bike when I bought it new in 2012. If I recall the Salsa retailed new for $3200, which is at least comparing apples to apples with a Signal Peak.

That means what was once a 5:00 minute lap is now a 4:42 lap time.... or what was once a 60:00 minute lap is now 56:24. Those numbers are huge improvements. I could maybe be off 1% either way, but it doesn't matter as those are still incredible improvements.

I have kept a ridiculously detailed log of various lap times, over the past 10 years, that includes both racing and training. My logs take into account conditioning, my weight, track conditions, yada, yada. I'm an engineer by trade which basically means I'm a numbers geek anyways. I've worked as the team engineer on various race car teams over the years so I have a very good handle on lap times, how to calculate them, and how to see where the improvements are. Just thought I'd mention that so you could understand these are just not fanboi wishes.

Anyhoo.... I thought some of you would find that of interest. Take it for what it's worth, but understand I'm extremely happy with my new Signal Peak.

Name:  Fezzari.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  Salsa.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  139.6 KB

16. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Nice. I've been looking at getting a full suspension frame and moving all my parts over since they are all fairly new. I've looked at the Fezzari. The problem I'm running into is the choices for a short travel, x-country frame in an XXL size is extremely limited. I've pedaled a bunch of XL sizes at different bike shops and they just don't fit. So far it's coming down to the Rocky Mountain Element or the Santa Cruz Tallboy. I like the Tallboy better but, no one has any stock on them until July or August.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

Sweet new ride
    So they've gotta take their hand off the wheel to brake? I'm guessing this model was in surplus the next Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    So they've gotta take their hand off the wheel to brake? I'm guessing this model was in surplus the next Christmas
    No. That’s got the classic foot brakes. Looks legit to me.

Edit: never mind. I didn't look at it close enough. Didn't see that it was an actual ad for a Drag brake.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

23. Likes accadacca, tallsteve, devo_stevo, Sombeech liked this post
    Mo Powah...

Name:  20190619_191857.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  113.8 KB

Pivot Shuttle... awesome to ride so far. Extra weight is carried low, combined with the 2.8 tires and downhill PRs are falling. Shuttle yourself back to the top and roll it again.

25. Likes tallsteve, Sombeech liked this post

Mo Powah...

Name:  20190619_191857.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  113.8 KB

Pivot Shuttle... awesome to ride so far. Extra weight is carried low, combined with the 2.8 tires and downhill PRs are falling. Shuttle yourself back to the top and roll it again.

Looks like a nice ride, I can tell you those Maxxis tires are better than the Schwalbes that came on mine. Those are next on my list.

Most of all, you'll love that you don't need an Ibuprofen 800mg when you get home from a ride, and when you wake up the next morning. Ebikes let us ride longer and more often.

29. Likes tallsteve liked this post