Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us YOUR ride:

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Yes and no. Giant owns the overseas factory but, Trek owns their own machinery within the factory and has complete control over production. Trek is also the last big bike manufacturer still wholly owned by an American company, the same family that started the company back in 1976. Even Specialized sold 49% of it's company to a company out of Taiwan a few years ago. That being said, they all make good bikes and I think you'll love your new Giant!
    Straight from Wikipedia...

Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd. is a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer that is recognized as the world's largest bicycle manufacturer. Giant has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, the Netherlands, and China.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Bicycles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

...and we're both still correct. Giant is the largest manufacturer (does that necessarily make them the best then?). I was only trying to point out that Giant does own the factory but Trek owns their own machinery within that factory and has their own Trek employees overseeing production. I'm sure the lowly machine/assembly workers are employed by Giant. There's just more to a blanket statement stating that Giant manufactures bikes for Trek. Trek is also the last bike company that still builds their higher-end carbon frame bikes and carbon wheels in their own factory in the US (Waterloo, Wisconsin). Anyway, as a part-time Trek store employee, I have to put in a plug for them when I can!
    Switching lines of thought, what do you think of the 27.5" wheels now after a couple of rides?
    Are we there yet?

Yeah, I don't think Giant has the brand power of the other brands either. I looked at Trek, Cannondale, Salsa, Specialized, Scott, Santa Cruz, Pivot and you end up spending a bit more and don't get as much for the $$$. You pay for the name like anything else. I general like to pick the sexy or lesser known brands, but I couldn't beat the price on this one and I cant spend an insane amount on a bike. Too many other hobbies!

I still haven't been on the trail yet!!! I'll be riding tonight after some family commitments. If anybody wants to hit the trail around 8-8:30pm, then give me a holla.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Giant has the brand power of the other brands either. I looked at Trek, Cannondale, Salsa, Specialized, Scott, Santa Cruz, Pivot and you end up spending a bit more and don't get as much for the $$$. You pay for the name like anything else. I general like to pick the sexy or lesser known brands, but I couldn't beat the price on this one and I cant spend an insane amount on a bike. Too many other hobbies!

I still haven't been on the trail yet!!! I'll be riding tonight after some family commitments. If anybody wants to hit the trail around 8-8:30pm, then give me a holla.
    I bought a sexy, lesser brand-name bike before (Ellsworth) and regretted it when it came time to submit a warranty claim. The bigger name brands typically have better warranties and honor them with less hassle. I have owned Ellsworth, Giant, Trek, Specialized and Cannondale in the past and have broken them all in the same place- where the top tube meets the seatpost tube. Because of my height, I just put an incredible amount of torque in that spot. Ellsworth was the worst for a warranty claim and Trek has been the best (least amount of hassle with pretty much no questions asked).

I'd be interested in riding at that time tonight! Lights?
    Are we there yet?

My current stable. My wife says I have a problem.........

6" 27.5 fun bike. Hardtail steel 29er. Disc brake road bike.

7. Likes accadacca, tallsteve liked this post
    I'd be interested in riding at that time tonight! Lights?
    Yep, you'll need lights. Meet in the same parking lot (EQ) at 8:30pm? I'll message you my number in case I can ride a touch earlier.

Rain starting at 10pm into tomorrow and snow Wednesday. Damn!

I just picked up a little single speed commuter bike for $200, new. I'm happy with it so far, cruising the paved trails. It's got the flippable hub to go fixie.

10. Likes tallsteve liked this post

Nice! I like that Giro helmet and it's one we sell at the shop. I got the new Smith Forefront helmet as my Christmas gift from the bike shop owners. I feel like a black Stormtrooper!

Name:  Smith Forefront.PNG
Views: 568
Size:  155.0 KB
    Are we there yet?

I'm thinking seriously about getting this Electra cruiser bike for puttering around the neighborhood, along with the matching helmet. Whaddya think?

Name:  Tiger Shark Bike.PNG
Views: 544
Size:  97.4 KBName:  Tiger Shark Helmet.PNG
Views: 558
Size:  194.9 KB
    Are we there yet?

...or maybe this one:

Name:  Ghost Rider.PNG
Views: 556
Size:  232.4 KB
    Are we there yet?

Maybe this thread needs to be changed to "Show Us Your Biking Gear". I like biking gear. I like trying new and different things. I've been using a Cateye Stealth 50 GPS computer device the last couple of years. The Stealth 50 has been stellar with no issues whatsoever. It's a true GPS device and I've been able to track my rides in non-cellphone service areas like AF Canyon. What the display lacks is detailed ride info like elevation gain. Detailed ride info can be seen AFTER uploading the ride data to Strava but, only after uploading, and the device has to be plugged into my PC to upload. I've been looking at getting a new device. Price range wise, I narrowed it down to the Garmin 520 and the Wahoo Elemnt, both are newer devices. Anyway, the Wahoo rep came to my bike shop yesterday and gave the staff some training. I came away impressed with what this device can do so, I bit the bullet and ordered one from the rep. I won't go into huge detail on features, suffice it to say that the device setup is all controlled from your smartphone. With just a few flicks on the smartphone app, you control what's displayed on the device and, it's true GPS- you don't need to have your cellphone with you on your ride. Very cool features and better mapping than what Garmin has. Plus, the price was right. The Elemnt retails for about $430 with the heart-rate chest strap. My store employee price direct from Wahoo was $165. Ahhh, the advantages of working a couple hours a week at a bike shop!

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/new...premacy-46530/

Name:  Elemnt.PNG
Views: 548
Size:  117.3 KB
    Are we there yet?

Nice! I like that Giro helmet and it's one we sell at the shop. I got the new Smith Forefront helmet as my Christmas gift from the bike shop owners. I feel like a black Stormtrooper!

Name:  Smith Forefront.PNG
Views: 568
Size:  155.0 KB
    Hows is the forefront?

It feels light, but how does it ride?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    Hows is the forefront?

It feels light, but how does it ride?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I really like it. It is light but, not as light as my high-end Giro. The light / GoPro mount is nice to have and the retention system is flawless. I can tell already that once summer comes, it may be too hot to ride with. That's the been the biggest complaint with online reviews.
    Are we there yet?

I just ordered the Shimano XT 1x11 drivetrain for my Superfly. Anyone else running 1x11? I went with the 30 upfront and 11-42 in the rear.

Name:  1x11.PNG
Views: 528
Size:  230.2 KB
    Are we there yet?

I just kitted out a friends bike with XT 1x11. I was surprised how "cheap" the XT stuff is compared to SRAM. Set up very easily for this hack mechanic as well.

I am currently on XO1 1x11 and really like it. I have 2 chainrings, one is a 28t for really big climbing days and early season stuff. I also have a 32t oval chainring that I'll put on there when I'm back in shape. It's gonna be a while though........

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    OUCH! Achilles tendon snap?
    POP goes the weasel.

Oh man, I've been fearing that. What are the signs, are there any that it could happen soon? Where were you when it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Oh man, I've been fearing that. What are the signs, are there any that it could happen soon? Where were you when it happened?
    For me, no signs whatsoever. I was just playing racquetball. I was sprinting forward to get a ball and it just went when I pushed off that back foot. It was a classic audible pop and felt like somebody hit me with a lead pipe.

Surgeon said there's really no way to know when they're gonna go. Overuse/overtraining can contribute. If you have an active tendinitis it can weaken the tendon. If you have gone thru a period of inactivity then jump right into athletics without easing back into it can be an issue.

Again, for me I have been working out all winter (racquetball twice a week). I don't think I had been overdoing it and I wasn't having any tendinitis symptoms. So, how's that for a vague answer?!?

24. Likes whansen liked this post