Thread: Ouray CO Canyoning Guidebook

Ouray CO Canyoning Guidebook

Sweet..... A guidebook on Canyoning Ouray Colorado.

Will this be out in time for the 2010 Ouray season???..... which from the video in the other thread I'm guessing runs from about August 1 to August 31?

I also noticed the choice of words.... Canyoning and not Canyoneering or the Aussie Canyoner....

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Yea I watched the video in the other thread too and it looks like quite the bunch in one area. Gotta love Class C!

I'll be keeping my eyes out for this book too...

Nice work Mike! Can't wait to see it!

Is that Bear Creek on the cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Will this be out in time for the 2010 Ouray season???..... which from the video in the other thread I'm guessing runs from about August 1 to August 31?
    August is the prime time, watch the afternoon thunderstroms though! The season's length will depend on the snow pack. When the water gets low enough, it's game on until it starts to freeze in the fall. Keep an eye on the river levels; then get the canyons in while you can!

-Brejcha

The book is almost done (I'm on the last edit pass now), then layout and then to the printer. My goal is to get it out before the 2010 season, barring anything unexpected.

The Ouray season varies. August is high season, and that bleeds into September. Many of the smaller basins are descendable in July. We've been in canyons in late September and into October, but there can be some ice glazed on the rocks. In less-than-average years we've been into canyons in mid June. In above-average years the bigger basins never got low enough to descend, even in August. And then you have these people, who descended Corbett in April...

The big problem is summer rain. Ouray canyons flood a lot, and even a small rise in water levels can be dangerous, because the creeks pick up small stones which become missiles in waterfalls. More than once have we been in otherwise manageable water levels, but running for out lives because of falling rocks in the water...

Yes, that photo is from Bear Creek, from a scouting trip back around 2003 or so. We called that drop La Capella and I think it is one of the prettiest waterfalls near Ouray. If you don't mind some bushwacking you can climb from the bottom pretty far up Bear, into the Quartize Corridor where you are finally stopped by the falls at the head of the narrows.

M

that's great, mike. hope the rest goes smoothly

Here... I'll do a little pimping for MD.

The book "Ouray Canyoning" can be ordered here for $16.95.
    http://www.canyonsandcrags.com/servl...nyoning/Detail

I don't think the book is actually in stock yet so your order could be a little slow...

Looks like the front cover has been redesigned from the first post in this thread.

Name:  FrontCover..jpg
Views: 626
Size:  34.8 KB

Mike anticipate shipping them to me sometime next week. Will begin delivering orders as soon as they arrive.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Yes, it is out! Rich should have them in stock in the next day or two. You can also get them at Mt Sports in Ouray. Other stores will carry it within the next month or so.

You can see previews at:

http://www.coloradocanyons.org/ourayguidebook.php

Yes, the cover changed. Unfortunately my chosen picture wasn't high enough resolution for my taste, so I went with a different one. The new picture is of the same drop as the old one - it is one of the most photogenic stretches of canyon around.

I hope to be in Ouray for at least part of the rendezvous this August, so I hope to see everyone there!

M

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd View Post
    Yes, it is out! Rich should have them in stock in the next day or two. You can also get them at Mt Sports in Ouray. Other stores will carry it within the next month or so.

You can see previews at:

http://www.coloradocanyons.org/ourayguidebook.php

Yes, the cover changed. Unfortunately my chosen picture wasn't high enough resolution for my taste, so I went with a different one. The new picture is of the same drop as the old one - it is one of the most photogenic stretches of canyon around.

I hope to be in Ouray for at least part of the rendezvous this August, so I hope to see everyone there!

M
    Nice, very nice.

Tom

The guidebooks are in stock now. We will start filling orders today.

http://www.canyonsandcrags.com/servl...nyoning/Detail
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Now available at Canyoneering USA:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...age=1&featured

Tom