Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Havasupai Plans for August

Blog Entries

Havasupai Plans for August

Well, this is 3yrs in the making and I finally got reservations. Unfortunately it's in middle August. And btw this is my first time so I'm really excited about this.

We have 15 people that initially signed up for this trip and perhaps more.

Anywho, I read the trip report from Sombeech back in 2005, and was wondering if this is an acceptable plan for those who have done it. Plus, I'm researching more and plans will change as I'm sure.

We would drive down Thursday, and arrive at the hilltop - late Thursday evening. We were planning on sleeping right there in the parking lot. The next day, we would hike down the 8miles and get to our campspot and then have the rest of the afternoon and evening to play in the water and the falls. Saturday, we would be our full day down there - and we will check out Mooney, and Beaver, and the two new waterfalls - Rock Falls and New Navajo Falls.

Sunday, hike back out in the morning and drive home. Long trip - but well worth the adventure.

My questions are:
    1) How long does it take to travel between the falls - Havasu Falls to Mooney to Beaver Falls, etc.
    2) Any recommendations on what gear NOT to bring.
    3) I saw that there are water spigots on the TR, but should I bring a water purifier regardless (I usually do anyways...but just checking)
    4) Any fun spots to share and locations? The TR mentioned rope swings, but which falls are those at?
    5) Does the reservation take credit cards or checks (I haven't checked thoroughly but imagine they would)
    6) Would a GPS be helpful for navigation or anything else?
    7) Should I wear my short shorts or my speedo? heh

thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Plan on @ 11 hours for the drive. I'd really suggest heading down Wednesday night, once you get down there you'll regret the short time you have.

It's 9 miles to the campground, and you'll pass Havasu falls right before the camp.

Unless things have changed, they had a few restrictions on campfires, I think you could burn garbage but not wood.

I don't think a GPS will do you any good, there aren't a lot of different directions you can go down there.

Keep your gear in the tents from the wild dogs and squirrels down there.

The rope swing is below Mooney Falls, looking downstream it is on the right side of the island.

You can swim up to Havasu Falls, climb behind it and jump through it.

You might even consider packing a snorkel kit. It's pretty cool water.

I made my reservations via credit card over the phone.

I've been there twice and would love to go back. Despite the common site of trash, it's still one of the most beautiful places I've seen. http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961

The only problem with mid-August (besides flash floods) is that it will be hot and at any time of year, it may or may not be that good of an idea to swim in the pools.

Keep in mind that since the Indian Reservation considers themselves to be a "sovereign nation", they are allowed to do some things that wouldn

Also with the summer months, you'll run into major crowds. I think they said anywhere between Spring Break and Labor Day.

Both times I've been in April, it's been a little chilly but the water was still at a swimmable temperature.

The trees are just getting green too, and it makes for some very photogenic shots.

The second time we went down, we completely packed for swimming and snorkeling. We had snorkels, fins, masks, and yes, even wetsuits. We packed them down ourselves and just hired the mules to pack them out for us.

Now that I think of the sewage.... I dunno about "focusing" so much on swimming. But none of us got sick.

If you can swing an extra day, the hike to the confluence is well worthwhile. More fun swimming spots along the way and much fewer people.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Re: Havasupai Plans for August

Congrats, Havasu is fun!

Don't expect to get a good night's sleep on the hilltop.

I'd recommend starting the hike down and hike up as early as you can manage in August.

Havasu Falls to Mooney is a 15 minute walk.
    Mooney to Beaver...hmmm, maybe 1.5 hrs (one way).

Havasu and the new falls are above the campground. Mooney and Beaver are below. Bit of walking to go between the two.

If anyone is up for it, I'd recommend the hike all the way to the Colorado.

Don't swallow the river water or filter from the creek. Many/most will filter from the campground spring. Others drink it directly. I'd recommend filtering.

A GPS will not be very useful except to help figure out how many quarter miles until you get there. Canyon is too deep for accuracy. You should probably just leave it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    Well, this is 3yrs in the making and I finally got reservations. Unfortunately it's in middle August. And btw this is my first time so I'm really excited about this.

We have 15 people that initially signed up for this trip and perhaps more.

Anywho, I read the trip report from Sombeech back in 2005, and was wondering if this is an acceptable plan for those who have done it. Plus, I'm researching more and plans will change as I'm sure.

We would drive down Thursday, and arrive at the hilltop - late Thursday evening. We were planning on sleeping right there in the parking lot. The next day, we would hike down the 8miles and get to our campspot and then have the rest of the afternoon and evening to play in the water and the falls. Saturday, we would be our full day down there - and we will check out Mooney, and Beaver, and the two new waterfalls - Rock Falls and New Navajo Falls.

Sunday, hike back out in the morning and drive home. Long trip - but well worth the adventure.

My questions are:
    1) How long does it take to travel between the falls - Havasu Falls to Mooney to Beaver Falls, etc.
    2) Any recommendations on what gear NOT to bring.
    3) I saw that there are water spigots on the TR, but should I bring a water purifier regardless (I usually do anyways...but just checking)
    4) Any fun spots to share and locations? The TR mentioned rope swings, but which falls are those at?
    5) Does the reservation take credit cards or checks (I haven't checked thoroughly but imagine they would)
    6) Would a GPS be helpful for navigation or anything else?
    7) Should I wear my short shorts or my speedo? heh

thanks!

Lucky!

Here are my tips-

I've been down there 4 times so far and I'm sure I'll go a few more. Havasu falls to Mooney is a breeze to walk to but you've got to go down some pretty treacherous cliffs to get to the bottom of Mooney so wear some good shoes (no flip flops). Make sure you take some good Tevas or something that will hold tight to your feet too for all your water excursions.

Hike at night whenever you can but watch for rattlers at dusk and by no means hike back up that cliff to hill top in the late afternoon (Bad memories).

Beaver takes a while to get too but well worth the hike (not for the falls though). I think it's like 4-5 miles from mooney and you have to cross the river a few times. However if your down for some killer fishing, below beaver there is rainbow trout you can catch and believe me a trout tastes really freakn' good after 4 days of eating mountain house freeze dried food. I just fished with spinners like panther martins. Power bait didn't work at all for me.

Definitely bring a purifier. My sister and brother-in-law got giardia from drinking right from the spring. Big no no.

Be ware of the natives. I love em' but they've stolen my stuff before. I might even go as far as getting one of those little luggage locks to put on your tent zippers just to be safe. Squirrels will steal your stuff too and they know how to work a zipper, I've seen it.

Bring a hammock. You will praise yourself if you do, especially in august.

This is a fun one if it's still there- swim behind Havasue falls and there should be a knotch right behind it. climb up and dive in between the falls split.

My favorite part of all is floating down the river below Mooney. You just lay down and let the current take you to a little water fall. Jump in and keep going. It's really fun and relaxing.

The last time I went down there was about 8 years ago so I'm sure some things have changed so take my advise for what it's worth.

Have fun, it should be a blast.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bone
    (no flip flops). Make sure you take some good Tevas or something that will hold tight to your feet too for all your water excursions.
    Ditto. As you walk through the river, that lime crust can be a little crunchy. You also sink into it a bit and it will suck those flip flops right from your feet.

we did havasu last month on our way to some other canyons in the area. didn't see but one other backpacking group the whole time. of course, spring is still trying to bust out down there, so it wasn't the prettiest time to be there.

remember that havasu has blown out from the floods in '08, so it is hardly what it used to be. it is still very pretty, but much of the travertine is gone, and the new sandbags are just starting to crust up.

the rope swing was not there this past month. i would also recommend going down to the confluence if you can swing it.

i think it took us 4 hours down from the hilltop to the campground, and 6 hours back to the car from beaver.

Try the Little Colorado River from Big Springs to the confluence......then up to Desert View in the park. Don't have the BIG falls but a lot of travertine dams getting up to 20 feet tall. Crystal clear and blue water and NO people. Way spectacular.

I don't disagree with anything I've read. Just wanted to empasize-don't leave from camp in the morning if it can be avoided. For one, you pay an extra night and get nothing out of the following day. Second, those last 3-4 miles will be brutal in August! Consider having a full day of fun and leaving just before dusk, the hike is safe and easy with a few headlamps in the group!.....Thousands have and will continue to drink straight from the piped spring without incident. I consider the water there and swimming completely safe from experience and observation!......The campground will likely be backed, resist the urge to just grab something that will work! All the yuppie poser's stay close to the putrid outhouses, there's some great, often unclaimed spots, just above Mooney falls. Go down to Mooney, then backtrack for the best spot! You will thank me! Camp as deep in the trees, and as close to the water as possible in August!

campground will be PACKED, not backed! Have fun! Good luck! The trip is well worth the crowds, half those fools never even get to Beaver! Lots of solitude, in the mornings at Mooney, or on the trail to Beaver can be found.....A pool toy, to float on, will be nice for a nap in noon day heat!

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169
    Try the Little Colorado River from Big Springs to the confluence......then up to Desert View in the park. Don't have the BIG falls but a lot of travertine dams getting up to 20 feet tall. Crystal clear and blue water and NO people. Way spectacular.
    Have you posted a TR? I'd love any BETA!

Here is a trip we took some years back......a small side canyon of the Grand Canyon....Little Colorado River Gorge.......LOL.
    Eleven days in June, started at Cameron, AZ and ended at Desert View in GCNP, 88 miles.

Some old slides...digitizing them before they completely fade away......about 60 slides.
    I would have to dig to find the maps / other data. Once you get in the LCR at Cameron there is only a couple of ways out until the confluence.

Click=Little Colorado Slideshow

Here is a trip we took some years back......a small side canyon of the Grand Canyon....Little Colorado River Gorge
    NO WAY, that is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Here is a trip we took some years back......a small side canyon of the Grand Canyon....Little Colorado River Gorge
    NO WAY, that is awesome!
    Whoops................wasn't going to show anyone. Not many have done this trip. Thru the reservation and GCNP (they won't give you a camping permit).

Whoops................wasn't going to show anyone. Not many have done this trip. Thru the reservation and GCNP (they won't give you a camping permit).
    no problem, I've removed them from my post.

lol

Thats not what I meant.......they are in the slide show. I meant that I have been sitting on that trip for going on 15 years. Not many know it can be done. Probably the top one or two trips I have ever taken, was on my lifes list of trips!!

You can put the pics back on ...............

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Your advice will make this trip even better. I'll post a TR when we get back. But, I just hope in the meantime that my ankle will heal and I will be able to walk by then...it should but we'll see.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

About 6 of us went in 08, was one of the funnest trips we've done. It's almost like entering a different country, things are managed differently than anywhere else I've seen. It's not something that can be described, only experienced. But it's spectacular. Was sad to hear the swing is gone, we played on it for quite a while. This thread got me seriously wanting to go back...BTW, we also slept in the parking lot and it was fine but there was a lot of traffic all night. Got there at about 2 am and it never did settle down (were up by 4). Interesting to hear about the sewage, we all swam and washed and filtered and had a great time. I'd imagine August would be the hottest time of year to visit. Hope you have a good trip Name:  Havasupai 2008 016&.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  71.7 KBName:  Havasupai 2008 038&.jpg
Views: 3620
Size:  102.1 KBName:  Havasupai 2008 065&.jpg
Views: 3890
Size:  104.6 KB!Name:  Havasupai 2008 093&.jpg
Views: 3514
Size:  81.4 KBName:  Havasupai 2008 087&.jpg
Views: 3906
Size:  101.5 KB
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org