Thread: Coach Jim Boylen thoughts?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Coach Jim Boylen thoughts?

What's your thoughts on Coach Jim Boylen?

Personally I like him better than Ray Giacoletti. I also like that he is a promotor/chearleader of the program & school. As for his coaching abilities. At the start of last season I didn't think he had HC in him but after a poor start in the preseason/first few games the team did well, won the conference, won the conference t. I change my opinion and liked him a lot as a HC.

After this season not so sure . . .

Curious to know if the Zoobies love him as a coach as much as Utes loved Gary Crowton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You need to give a college coach 5 years to see his true abilities. Recruiting is a major part of college ball and after 5 years a coach should only have "his" players in the program. I don't follow basketball much, but I believe Boylen's team this year is very young, at one time didn't he have 4 freshmen on the floor in the Zoobie game? If so, that will pay off big down the road....

Not feeling so good at the moment. During the game the other night I saw a layup drill for the cougs. I must have watched a dozen layups and then I just shut it off. I also saw the Utah players trying to play a one-on-one game and I could have swore I saw others player in red on the court. The defense was terrible too...just brutal. A true smachdown, horror on the hill, trainwreck, you name it. Coaching if you ask me...

Face it, Utah is a Football school and the tide turned back in 04.

I agree with 5 year stuff and this was a major rebuilding year with freshman loaded team. Hopefully things improve.

What I don't like is the defence. That's what I liked about Ricky. No matter how good the other team was he could hold the game close with his defence game plan. I know Ricky is long gone, old news, living in the past. It's just the one thing I would change, just like a team that can play defence.

If it's defense you like that I guess the bright side of the BYU games was that Utah did hold the Zoob's to 10 points under their season average. utah is still a team rooted in D.

I quite enjoyed the game.... (you just had to know I'd show up and comment)

I particularly liked the Boylen press conference after. I'd like to know the history between Boylen and Monson from the SL Trib. Funny, but the Trib is ususlly a wee bit anti BYU so what happened to tick-off Boylen?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card

I particularly liked the Boylen press conference after. I'd like to know the history between Boylen and Monson from the SL Trib. Funny, but the Trib is ususlly a wee bit anti BYU so what happened to tick-off Boylen?
    well Monson was probably baiting him for a quote. it's a legitamate question on what his thougth was about his team opening the 2nd half with 12 straight misses. Monson got his quote but not the quote he was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

well Monson was probably baiting him for a quote. it's a legitamate question on what his thougth was about his team opening the 2nd half with 12 straight misses. Monson got his quote but not the quote he was looking for.
    Ya but... what was up with the "nice of you to come every two years."
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

Ya but... what was up with the "nice of you to come every two years."
    maybe because Monson is a columnist and not a beat reporter. Only reason Monson is there to interview you is because your hot or your not. I think it was clear before the first question the story why Monson was there.

I actually kinda like Boylen. I don't think he is a bad coach. His players just looked terrible across the board. This time of year it is hard to get up for games knowing you really have nothing to play for other than 5th or 6th seed in the MWC tournament. I though Boylen called timeouts at the right time, appeared to try line up after line up, etc. I am not sure what he may have done to prepare the players for the game but it looked like Boylen was the only one ready to go. The rest of the team just looked like they were going through the motions, except the freshman Henderson. I think Henderson started the game wayyyy too emotional which took him out of it, 1 for 7 shooting.... Also, BBall is a game of runs. Utah really didn't have any. And holy cow, BYU's Lloyd Jr. is fast. I think he took the Utes by surprise. I kinda like our (BYU's) 3rd string point guard. But back to Boylen, I gotta tell you, I wish they would put a camera on him and do a picture-in-picture the whole game. I have never seen a more expressive mug on a coach. I think Mr. Ransom would call his face something like "a face made for cartoons."
    Life is Good

I actually kinda like Boylen. I don't think he is a bad coach. His players just looked terrible across the board. This time of year it is hard to get up for games knowing you really have nothing to play for other than 5th or 6th seed in the MWC tournament. I though Boylen called timeouts at the right time, appeared to try line up after line up, etc. I am not sure what he may have done to prepare the players for the game but it looked like Boylen was the only one ready to go. The rest of the team just looked like they were going through the motions
    what the clique saying: you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. unfortanatly for a HC you have lead a horse to water and have to make it to drink.

Utah basketball: Boylen candidate for Iowa's top

Utah basketball coach Jim Boylen, who just completed his third season with the Utes, has been identified as a candidate for the University of Iowa coaching job.

Boylen, when reached Wednesday, wouldn't comment on the position, stating he was "thankful to be the coach at Utah."

"I'm excited with what we are building and trying to recruit point guards and shooters now," he said.

Boylen, whose Utes finished the season 14-17 in his third season as head coach, signed a five-year contract in May that pays him $850,000 annually, with the possibility of it increasing to $1 million with incentives.

Boylen went 42-25 in his first two season and led the Utes to the MWC tournament title and a share of the regular-season title last year.

Iowa director of athletics Gary Barta announced last week that Todd Lickliter wouldn't be retained after three losing seasons, including a 10-22 mark in 2009-10.

Both Memphis and Arizona made inquiries into hiring Boylen last year, before he was rewarded the new contract which represented a 55-percent increase from his original five-year deal which paid him $550,000 annually.

Utah athletic director Chris Hill refused to comment on the situation, stating he "never discusses job searches."

If Boylen terminates his contract voluntarily in the first or second year of the contract, he must pay the university a fixed sum of $750,000.

From the Trib: http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14750811

So what is going on with the Utes??? Five players bailing on the program?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=635&sid=10304029
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    So what is going on with the Utes??? Five players bailing on the program?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=635&sid=10304029
    Do you blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Do you blame them?
    I don't know if I do or not. Can I blame them? That is the question. Is it Boylen? Is it bad chemistry between players? Is it wimpy players who can't handle a losing season and can't man up and get to the gym in the off season? Are they pretty boys (like Henderson strikes me as being) who can't fight through a bit of adversity? I would like to know.
    Life is Good

BYU certainly has some pretty boys...

I usually like to see a coach get at least 5 years with a program.... but right now Boylen looks like the captain of the Titanic.....