Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessing Anasazi Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Shane, you screwed up my post (!).
    Dang.... I'm sorry about that.... the quote and edit button here on my master control panel are right next to each other.... and if I push quote really fast while moving my curser across it sometimes snags edit. To make matters worse the quote and edit screen look exactly the same when they pop up.... It's not the first post I've messed up accidently and It will not be the last....

Or we can just go with.... Stupid Moderator....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree they are probably using the Archaeological Resource Protection laws. It's just not what I expected to find when I first started looking for an answer.

And for your other question.....

But, wow, that's pretty interesting. So, you refuse. "Sorry ossifer, I don't want to take any test right now."
    Yeah.... if you want a good understanding of a DUI read this:

http://www.utah-dui.com/

Lots of really interesting information. Fun to read... particularly the Survival Tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I agree they are probably using the Archaeological Resource Protection laws. It's just not what I expected to find when I first started looking for an answer.

And for your other question.....

But, wow, that's pretty interesting. So, you refuse. "Sorry ossifer, I don't want to take any test right now."
    Yeah.... if you want a good understanding of a DUI read this:

http://www.utah-dui.com/

Lots of really interesting information. Fun to read... particularly the Survival Tips.

I have defended hundreds of DUI's and I have yet to see one person follow the advice of Mr. Neeley. Just doesn't happen. See, the beer convinces people that they can pass the tests and that they will get out of there faster. Nope. What usually happens is that the suspect does the field tests, realizes he is in trouble and then refused the breath/blood tests. At that point, that is just about the worst thing to do. Then the prosecutor will use the argument to the jury that "if he wasn't guilty, then why didn't he take the test." Nail in the coffin. Field sobriety tests are enough to convict particularly if there is a driving error or pattern. BTW, all the driver's license penalties have just changed. I will try to post them if anyone is interested.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    BTW, all the driver's license penalties have just changed. I will try to post them if anyone is interested.
    Scott, I'd be interest in knowing the law.... what originally led to my research on DUI was I pulled out of a restaurant after dinner with the wife and a cop pulled me over for not using my turn signal. First question the cop asked was "have you been drinking".....

This lead me to an instant realization.... and a quandary.... correct answer would have been "yes, I had ONE beer with dinner", but I figured that is also the same answer every DUI in town used and I didn't feel like doing a sobriety test on the side of the road and I also surmised that I didn't need to volunteer information. So I answered "we just had dinner", which was the truth and dodged the actual question.....

Anyhoo.... no harm, no foul, the cop just told me to start using my signals and let me go.... But the next day I called a lawyer buddy and asked how I should have answered the question. He pointed me to Neeley's survival tips page....

I also find the games the cops play (with all crimes) very intriguing..... it reminds me of what a crooked used car salesmen once told me..... "You buy maybe 10 cars in your life, I sell 10 cars every week. Who do you think has the upper hand in any deals we make?"

from 47 CFR

Sec. 7.4 Prohibited acts and criminal penalties.

(a) Under section 6(a) of the Act, no person may excavate, remove,
    damage, or otherwise alter or deface, or attempt to excavate, remove,
    damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located
    on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a
    permit issued under Sec. 7.8 or exempted by Sec. 7.5(b) of this part.

Sec. 7.31 Scope and authority.

The regulations in this subpart are promulgated pursuant to section
    10(b) of the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (16 U.S.C.
    470ii), which requires agencies to develop rules and regulations for
    carrying out the purposes of the Act, consistent with the uniform
    regulations issued pursuant to section 10(a) of the Act (subpart A of
    this part).

----

So BLM or the Park Service has the authority to develop a rule that would protect an archaeological resource. A rule might be no climbing into such sites. It's not a reg so you won't find in the CFRs but the regs provide the agency the authority to establish the rule to further the protection of the resources. So if you break the rule, you break the law. Then again I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    public lands or Indian lands
    as in India?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I also find the games the cops play (with all crimes) very intriguing.....
    "The American police are involved in psychological warfare against those Americans who don't frighten them with imposing papers and threats." -Jack Kerouac

Last time I was pulled over it was because my bike rack was partially obscuring my license plate. When Officer Percival said he could smell alcohol on my breath I reminded him that saying so was SOP for anybody that was chewing gum when they were pulled over. He looked at me like I had just shot his dog.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Quote Originally Posted by erial
    public lands or Indian lands
    as in India?
    http://www.bia.gov/

I had an experience near the Dry Fork TH on Hole in the Rock road. I saw a couple college age kids moving the "No Camping" signpost a couple hundred yards farther out from the TH! (This eliminates a few great camping spots)....When they were finishing I asked who they were. USU students was the reply, they were intern's for SUWA or some such, had not ties to the BLM or any other presiding authority in the area. They were in charge of some study, and unilaterally decided it would be wise to move the blasted sign!.....There's moron's that ruin the ruines ;) but there's some out of control activists out there that will do anything without authority.....

Another experience: BLM had a ORV usage in the west desert years back. The girl that conducted that study, sited bald eagle nests as reason for trail closure recommendation at a handful of areas where there are no eagle nests. When called on it by multiple rancher's and trailrider's, she admitted to her supervisor that she hadn't actually seen the nests, but had been told there were some.

I also love that our tax $$'s paid for a huge FBI sting that collared a bunch of 70-80 y/o Blanding residents for possessing artifacts that they've had for years!....That said, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on theifs, and vandals that are ruining protected lands now!