Thread: Snowshoeing to the haunted cabin (with several pics)

Snowshoeing to the haunted cabin (with several pics)

A very brief Trip Report is below:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-obj...-trip-log.html

I'll have more photographs later.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Did Kessler really hear a "ghostly creaking"? Because that would freak me out. Well done again Scott. You sure are an inspiration to the rest of us!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Did Kessler really hear a "ghostly creaking"?
    Sure, but I don't think a little creaking would be all that unusal in a cabin built 128 years ago and that is ravished with winds at 11,490 feeet and which has snow on the roof.

I'm getting spooked just thinking about it :)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I finally added all the pics.

Anyway, TR below:

FEBRUARY 27

Kessler and I had this weekend saved for a trip up to the Section House Cabin up on Boreas Pass (11,490 feet/3502 meters). Kessler was excited because the cabin is supposedly haunted.

The section house is perched right on the Continental Divide and was built in 1882 as a railroad stop for the railroad between the mines of Leadville and Georgetown. It has been fixed up so that modern day skiers and snowshoers can use it. The minimum distance of any route to the hut is 6.5 miles/10.5 kms each way.

In the morning we started up the trail in good, but cloudy weather. It was a slow, but uneventful snowshoe up to the hut. Along the way we met two other climbers whom accompanied us the rest of the way to the hut.

There were other people staying in the cabin as well. Kessler played twister with some of the other group and we told ghost stories before going to be.

At night, Kessler heard ghostly creaking around the cabin, but I slept OK.

FEBRUARY 28

Kessler and I debated rather to try and climb a peak or not in the morning. Kessler decided he would rather head back down the mountain and the weather appeared to be deteriorating anyway. The weather started out good, but slowly deteriorated as we descended. At one point we heard some loud thunder.

The weather deteriorated to near blizzard conditions at times, but we made our way down the mountain without any problems. It was a nice trip.

If anyone wants to see the photos in full size or read the captions, click below:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/6078...7-28-2010.html

Awesome. Actually that is my next location.. watch for me then..

Very nice report and pics! Lovely shot of Quandary Peak.

Back when I lived in Denver, I made quite a few visits to that area (and Hoosier Pass, not far away). Never reached Boreas Pass in the winter, only the summer. Hoosier is another story...my best winter adventure around there was a January ascent of Silverheels from the Pass.