Thread: Unpaved Road to HWY 12

Unpaved Road to HWY 12

Has anyone ever taken one of the unpaved roads from hwy 89 to hwy 12 in south Utah? Are they doable in a 4 wheel drive? I was hoping there would be a shortcut from Kanab to the Escalante area. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Unpaved Road to HWY 12

Quote Originally Posted by PirateQueen
    Has anyone ever taken one of the unpaved roads from hwy 89 to hwy 12 in south Utah? Are they doable in a 4 wheel drive? I was hoping there would be a shortcut from Kanab to the Escalante area. Thanks.
    There are a few that are doable in a 4 wheel drive, not going to be a huge shortcut but would give you a better view :),

Cottonwood canyon road is doable (depending on how wet it is
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.617294&z=11

same with the route through the smokies
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,2.469177&z=9
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

If I remember right a couple died a few years back by attempting the Cottonwood Road in winter. They became snow bound and died of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    If I remember right a couple died a few years back by attempting the Cottonwood Road in winter. They became snow bound and died of exposure.
    ya that is true.. like any offroad adventure you must be prepared for the shortcut that lasts a few days :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

When it's dry, Cottonwood Canyon road is angrily washboarded, but otherwise fine. Took it in my Grand Am in 2008...

Has anyone ever taken one of the unpaved roads from hwy 89 to hwy 12 in south Utah? Are they doable in a 4 wheel drive? I was hoping there would be a shortcut from Kanab to the Escalante area
    Sure. The Skutumpah Road is the quickest way. It begins just eat of Kanab and goes to Cannonville along the Pink Cliffs and is quite scenic. It's the one that passes right over the Bull Valley Gorge. It can be done with a passenger car after anywhere form mid March to mid April or so, but if it is wet or snowy it should be considered to be a 4wd road only. Sometimes the road is impassible in winter, even for 4wd's.

The Cottonwood Canyon Road mentioned is also a scenic one, but it's not a shortcut to get from Kanab to Escalante and is actually longer distance wise than taking the highway (if you were traveling from Page to Escalante or SLC to the Paria for example, it would be a shortcut, but not to get from Kanab to Escalante). The road can be bad if it's really wet, but it typically opens up earlier than the Skutumpah Road.

The Smoky Mountain Road mentioned is also interesting, but it would definately take much longer than the other mentioned routes, including the highway. Still, it's interesting.

Thanks all for the info! It helps my planning out enormously!

We actually drove Cottonwood Road in the rain and made it fine. There were a few clay sections that were tricky but otherwise alright. In a heavy pour, it would be not so good. The view at the end of our drive was nice.....

FYI - I drove on Skutumpah last week and it is currently under a foot or so of snow, and untouched by plows beginning right after the Deer Springs Ranch. There's a few pretty good mud pits prior to that.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Bogley BigShot
    Skutumpah is worse when the snow is actually melting on a warm day and I have to assume that Cottonwood is the same. Bo and I have done roads like that in the winter and it was scary! Not advised.

Are you talking Cottonwood or Skutumpah. Both drives are great. I like entering the Staircase in Glendale on the Bench Road which turns into Skutumpah and ends near Cannyonville and Bryce Canyon.

While both of the mentioned roads are more exciting to drive, I'm not sure I would consider either a shortcut. Maybe mileage but as for time... Maybe I just drive like an old lady though...Also there are many of places to stop and take pictures , especially on Cottonwood Canyon road, which adds to driving time...

Bogley BigShot
    I totally agree! It takes much longer to go through the Staircase rather than up US-89!

As far as I know, CCR is closed at the moment because of a rockslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up!