Thread: Plans Changed (again) Another day on Red Mountain

Plans Changed (again) Another day on Red Mountain

Sunday Feb. 28th plans changed again. Hoped to do the Island in the Sky Traverse, but decided to hike Red Mountain Trail, Dave and I started at maybe 10:30AM just off of Rt. 18 between Diamond Valley and Dammeron Valley. The first 2.5 miles of the hike are pretty un-eventful as the trail winds upward through the junipers and pinions on a very rocky (ex-4wd road) trail. Soon the viewpoint perched on Snow Canyons northern flank comes into grasp. This newly deemed BLM Wilderness begins to open up and show magnificent terrain as we continue west and south to my happy place on the massive slickrock fields perched above Snow Canyon to the east of us and far below. The recent rains had filled the many desert tanks with crystaline water and just re-inforced in my mind why I so dearly love this place. We skirted the edge on the field for 1 mile south and then found our way across the plateau until finally descending toward Tuacahn. This descent route shown as "Gunsight" on the Red Cliff Desert Reserve Map is very interesting with some slotting, scrambling, knife-edge ridge adventure; it has it all. This is the same route that the poor soul "trail runner" diverted accidently to before falling and needing a helicopter rescue. (you may remember seeing it in the news with the helicopter perched on a small tower?) Anyway we bumped into Dave (the other Dave) on our way down and enjoyed a nice trip down together. Here are a couple pictures of the trip. Most taken on the slickrock plateau. Cheers!
    Bo
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Plans Changed (again) Another day on Red Mountain

Hi Bo! I love your photos! Especially #395 and the one at the end, that slickrock lake is beautiful! Is this Snow Canyon near Ivans? I was just there a couple of weekends ago - got rained out of Zion and took the kids over there to hike (in the rain). What I saw of the place was beautiful!
    Is this hike over there? Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Sunday Feb. 28th plans changed again. Hoped to do the Island in the Sky Traverse, but decided to hike Red Mountain Trail, Dave and I started at maybe 10:30AM just off of Rt. 18 between Diamond Valley and Dammeron Valley. The first 2.5 miles of the hike are pretty un-eventful as the trail winds upward through the junipers and pinions on a very rocky (ex-4wd road) trail. Soon the viewpoint perched on Snow Canyons northern flank comes into grasp. This newly deemed BLM Wilderness begins to open up and show magnificent terrain as we continue west and south to my happy place on the massive slickrock fields perched above Snow Canyon to the east of us and far below. The recent rains had filled the many desert tanks with crystaline water and just re-inforced in my mind why I so dearly love this place. We skirted the edge on the field for 1 mile south and then found our way across the plateau until finally descending toward Tuacahn. This descent route shown as "Gunsight" on the Red Cliff Desert Reserve Map is very interesting with some slotting, scrambling, knife-edge ridge adventure; it has it all. This is the same route that the poor soul "trail runner" diverted accidently to before falling and needing a helicopter rescue. (you may remember seeing it in the news with the helicopter perched on a small tower?) Anyway we bumped into Dave (the other Dave) on our way down and enjoyed a nice trip down together. Here are a couple pictures of the trip. Most taken on the slickrock plateau. Cheers!
    Bo
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    glad someone is getting wish it could be me.

Re: Plans Changed (again) Another day on Red Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Hi Bo! I love your photos! Especially #395 and the one at the end, that slickrock lake is beautiful! Is this Snow Canyon near Ivans? I was just there a couple of weekends ago - got rained out of Zion and took the kids over there to hike (in the rain). What I saw of the place was beautiful!
    Is this hike over there? Sounds great!
    Hi Randi! Next time you're in the area let me know and I'll show, or at least point out some really nice hikes. Yes, the hike shown is in the area of Snow Canyon State Park. It is mostly located just north of Ivins on the newly deemed BLM Wilderness on top of Red Mountain to the north and west of SCSP. SCSP has established trails, ie. 3 Ponds, West Canyon, Jennys Canyon, Petrified Dunes, Lava Tubes, etc. etc, and is a bit limited to mostly the canyon floor. Red Mountain on the other hand has thousands and thousands of acres of exploring to do. Lots of slickrock, and canyonated terrain. In the image below the blue dots mostly centered show SCSP and to the left, above and below left shows a portion of Red Mountain plus Ivins. The white in the picture shows expansive slickrock fields. It's a great place to hike, backpack and canyon and best of all it's just minutes from SG. I live in Ivins and can literally walk 3 blocks and hike .8 miles/ 1500' vertical and be standing on top of the mountain. I really love this place and the solitude it offers so close to home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    glad someone is getting wish it could be me.
    Is getting? Oh! You mean getting out!? Heading back up to Red Mountain (or elusive Island in the Sky traverse) again this coming weekend. Give me a jingle!