Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When will it be spring?

.... today was the first day that felt like spring to me....
    Over here, it's 42F outside right now, making this the warmest day of the year so far. The snow is starting to melt as well. This morning was 5F, so nights are still slightly chilly, but it feels like spring. A snowstorm is supposed to hit tomorrow though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Yes sir.... today was the first day that felt like spring to me.... I was outside at lunch.... 50 degrees, no snow, and sunny.... so I dug out my maps and my to-do list and started doing some planning.....

Holler when your ready to do 2 new(to me) canyons near Moab. The backroads are going to have to do some serious drying out. A guy could get "lost" if not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Holler when your ready to do 2 new(to me) canyons near Moab. The backroads are going to have to do some serious drying out. A guy could get "lost" if not careful.

The roads are the only thing holding me in check right now.... last time I was out I left the self serve car wash $15 lighter and the poor car wash attendant in tears.

I guess Iceaxe should have waited for a littel bit! Here in Orem today we have already gotten about 8" of snow today. I don't know how Southern Utah is looking, but this seems like it is going to make the snow stay around for another few weeks!

I am pretty sick of this snow! Just yesterday I was saying, "Yes, it is finally warming up." I guess I just forgot that we are in Utah and the weather is impossible to predict. I just hope it will warm up soon!
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Whats the damage around town from this latest storm? Moab? North Wash? The Roost? I am really hoping to get out somewhere in Utah next weekend (April 9/10), but am hoping to stay mostly dry with moderately pleasant camping...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    Whats the damage around town from this latest storm? Moab? North Wash? The Roost? I am really hoping to get out somewhere in Utah next weekend (April 9/10), but am hoping to stay mostly dry with moderately pleasant camping...
    Snowing HERE tonight, though it IS 40 degrees out. Mt Carmel, 5000 feet.

T

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    In two days, we've gone from the warmest day of the year to several inches of snow on my lawn.

In my usual late April / early May camping location, there's usually only 27" of snow on the ground. Today, there's over 54" of snow on the ground. Unless it gets really warm, really quick, I think most of the mid-to-Southern Utah locations will be inaccessible until late July, early August!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

We have 8.5" so far and still snowing..................

Snowing here too, but the snowpack here (and in northern Utah) is pretty dismal this year. It's Southern Utah and far south Colorado that have been getting all the snow (before today at least). Check out the snowpack numbers for either state:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=134181&nid=149

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf

It's going to be a bad river river running season for much of UT and CO.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Well the Narrows finally got above 120 CFS. There was a 3 day short thaw in 2008 around this time. Real thaw melt off started two weeks later in April for both 2008 & 2009. So hopefully this is an early melt off.

There is a lot more snow in the Narrows Headwater compared to this time last two years, about 150% averaged from all sensor sites data. That is an increasing trend from the previous times I calculated this. This could mean the narrows don’t open until after early June. So the sooner Kev leaves the sooner the narrows open.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    So the sooner Kev leaves the sooner the narrows open.
    Yeah, thanks! That's totally how I see it happening... Well, I'll be done in Zion on May 24; after that, I'll be heading elsewhere, so the floods will be free to recede.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Yeah, thanks! That's totally how I see it happening... Well, I'll be done in Zion on May 24; after that, I'll be heading elsewhere, so the floods will be free to recede.
    Maybe renting inter tubes from ZAC and floating the Virgin might be awesome!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Does anyone know if there is still snow waiting to melt around the North Wash area, or can I go back to my normal routines of watch the forecast for a week or so before I go to see if there should be much water in the canyons? Looks like the weather should be decent this weekend, so I am hoping that means good weather for canyons, and not warming up and melting snow and leading to really wet canyons...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Your gonna have to learn to like water........
    We have had 2" in the last 2 hours and still snowing hard.
    This will undoubtedly find it's way to North Wash.

I am getting there - I am excited to get in to some wet canyons, just in the summer time, when a dip in some water will be refreshing. Says the high on saturday around the North wash will be in the 60's the rest of the week, reaching 72 on saturday. I guess I will just prepare my whiny friends that they may get there toes wet and cold...

Does anyone know if there is still snow waiting to melt around the North Wash area
    There was no snow in the North Wash area when I was there a few days ago.

Anyone know how to check recent precipitation? I use the National Weather service spot forecast to see temperatures and expected rain or snow, but I am not aware of anywhere it records what actually happened. Is this avalaible somewhere?

Think I found it. I thought I had seen it before. If I am reading it correctly, and it is accurate, looks like the recent storm only put a 'trace' of precicipitation on the ground (around the north wash), and it should be a good weekend to be out.

Anyone know how to check recent precipitation?
    I do, but did you already find it?

If not, here:

http://www.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=slc

Choose "daily data for a month" and scroll down to your weather station of choice.

Aha - that is much better. Now I am assuming that the first 3 columns are max, min and average temperature, but what is HDD, CDD, and the difference between Snow & Snwg? Is Pcpn precipitation? Thanks for the link though - that is extremely helpful!