Thread: Getting ready for 2010

Getting ready for 2010

I'm getting geared up for this backpacking season. Every year I get lighter and lighter (read, smarter). This year I'm going to try a soda can alcohol stove. Picked up an REI Ti tea kettle as well. I'm also going to try a nylon tarp and ground cloth instead of a tent. Also going to pack it into an REI Flash 50 (don't need that 4500ci pack for an overnight trip).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good stuff, but isn't it a bit late to get ready for 2010?

The beginning of 2010 was almost two months ago.

Anyway, I hope you have a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Good stuff, but isn't it a bit late to get ready for 2010?

The beginning of 2010 was almost two months ago.

Anyway, I hope you have a good year.
    Well, not getting ready for 2010 (though, I think I still need to do that as well)... getting ready for backpacking season for 2010. For me that will start when central Utah starts to warm up at night. I'm hoping around the middle of March. After that, it's when the snow melts in the Uintas and Big/Little Cottonwood canyons in SLC.

I just ordered by silicon impregnated tarp (8x10 for about $70 shipped). I'm really looking forward to trying it instead of a tent. The tent I use is very nice, at around 2 1/2 pounds but the tarp is about 13 ounces.

I'm also switching from a Nalgene bottle to a disposable 16 ounce water bottle. Saw this mentioned on youtube. Really makes sense. Nalgene bottles are nice but the disposable bottles are lighter and can be just as good.

My cardio has never been very good (I think it's just genes) so I need any advantage I can get.

That tarp is taking quite the chance during bug season in the Uintas.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller
    I agree. From what I've hear that only lasts a few weeks and I've usually just avoided it. If it's close to that time I'll just take the tent but for the other times I'd like to try the tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by tcope
    Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller
    I agree. From what I've hear that only lasts a few weeks and I've usually just avoided it. If it's close to that time I'll just take the tent but for the other times I'd like to try the tarp.
    don't take the tent.. just go to wally world and pick up a bit of netting to take with you and hang over the ends of your shelter.. it will cut out most of the bugs and won't weigh as much as your tent will..

what kind of alcohol stove are you using? if you are really thinking of going UL you should spend some time just reading over at http://practicalbackpacking.com more backpacking information there than you can shake a stick at.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee
    what kind of alcohol stove are you using?

This was my first one. I've made a few others (different designs) since.

Received my tarp in the mail today (1 day mailing from from Las Vegas... gotta love it!

I went with the 8x10' tarp as I did not think the smaller one would be large enough. Man, this 8x10 is _plenty_ big. I'd say it would cover 3 people plus gear. Picked up a few nail tent spikes from REI and I should be set. I picked up my light weight tent and held them side by side. No comparison. The tarp is just soooooo very light. It's costly (I guess the silicon adds a lot to the cost) but I think it's worth it.

I just need to pick up some Tyvex for under my pad. Does anyone know where I can find a small piece? I know I might be able to hang out at a construction site and bum some but does anyone know of a local place that might sell a 7' section? I know Home Depot and Lowes sell long rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by tcope
    Received my tarp in the mail today (1 day mailing from from Las Vegas... gotta love it!

I went with the 8x10' tarp as I did not think the smaller one would be large enough. Man, this 8x10 is _plenty_ big. I'd say it would cover 3 people plus gear. Picked up a few nail tent spikes from REI and I should be set. I picked up my light weight tent and held them side by side. No comparison. The tarp is just soooooo very light. It's costly (I guess the silicon adds a lot to the cost) but I think it's worth it.

I just need to pick up some Tyvex for under my pad. Does anyone know where I can find a small piece? I know I might be able to hang out at a construction site and bum some but does anyone know of a local place that might sell a 7' section? I know Home Depot and Lowes sell long rolls.
    I just got done ordering some 1.3 OZ sinlon from seattlefabrics to make my Tarp.. I am going a little bigger with a 10X12 so that I have enough room to close it up completely in nasty storms (it sucks being tall as my 8X10 just doesn't cut it). as for the Tyvex i would just bum some from the construction guys :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"