Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e-harmony sued for not offering gay and lesbian services

e-harmony sued for not offering gay and lesbian services

Sombeech posted this in another thread and I thought it was interesting, wondering what others opinion was on the subject, might be the wrong forum, sorry if it is.

The founder of E-harmony was sued and FORCED to offer gays and lesbians the same services he offers to straights. Where will it end?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454904,00.html

It

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Re: e-harmony sued for not offering gay and lesbian services

[quote=Thomas]Sombeech posted this in another thread and I thought it was interesting, wondering what others opinion was on the subject, might be the wrong forum, sorry if it is.

The founder of E-harmony was sued and FORCED to offer gays and lesbians the same services he offers to straights. Where will it end?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454904,00.html

It
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Just like waiters at Hooter's

I'm sure this thread is likely to turn ugly, like most of the threads about homosexuality on this site... but in good faith I'll share my opinion.

This article highlights my problem with gay marriage. I have no problems with people being homosexual, or civil unions. But I do have a problem with reverse discrimination, and forcing your beliefs on others. What legal grounds would anyone have to sue a website for not being the type of site they want? How long after gay marriage is nationally legalized will organizations (like Churches) who disapprove of Gay Marriage be sued for discrimination. How long until these organizations have their right to perform marriage taken away?

I personally don't agree with nazi organizations, communism, or University of Michigan fans. But I would never try and sue these organizations to offer my opinions in their meetings. Nor use legislation to change what they offer on their websites.

If I want to buy a hamburger, I wouldn't sue Starbucks for not offering hamburgers in their stores. I would go to a place which offers hamburgers.

As I said before, I'm sure this will turn ugly but I'll just say that I'll bet some of you believe this is a great step forward for gay rights, without being concerned what a huge step backward these types of stories are for freedom. It is ironic to me that a group of people whose long time argument has been that people should be able to do whatever they want, would sue someone for running their business the way they want.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Dan, please stop making sense and being reasonable, and START FLAMING!

If it was me, I would create a POS website and then clamin it was a financial disaster and shut it down after investing $28 of offshore labor.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

Richard- I love you man!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I'm sure this thread is likely to turn ugly, like most of the threads about homosexuality on this site... but in good faith I'll share my opinion.

This article highlights my problem with gay marriage. I have no problems with people being homosexual, or civil unions. But I do have a problem with reverse discrimination, and forcing your beliefs on others. What legal grounds would anyone have to sue a website for not being the type of site they want? How long after gay marriage is nationally legalized will organizations (like Churches) who disapprove of Gay Marriage be sued for discrimination. How long until these organizations have their right to perform marriage taken away?

I personally don't agree with nazi organizations, communism, or University of Michigan fans. But I would never try and sue these organizations to offer my opinions in their meetings. Nor use legislation to change what they offer on their websites.

If I want to buy a hamburger, I wouldn't sue Starbucks for not offering hamburgers in their stores. I would go to a place which offers hamburgers.

As I said before, I'm sure this will turn ugly but I'll just say that I'll bet some of you believe this is a great step forward for gay rights, without being concerned what a huge step backward these types of stories are for freedom. It is ironic to me that a group of people whose long time argument has been that people should be able to do whatever they want, would sue someone for running their business the way they want.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said (big surprise, hehe). But in this case I hold the e-harmony guys responsible too. They folded. As a large busness, you are always going to have people sueing you for really stupid stuff. He probably did some number crunching and decided "meh, it will cheaper just to add the service and not fight it, and maybe we can make some money off the fags in the process". Where as a church is going to draw a "line in the sand" and fight tooth and nail to uphold their belief system. They have deep coffers, expert legal advice, and heartfelt convictions behind them. So while no doubt the gays are going to start sueing and forcing their beliefs down everyone's throats the second they get a chance, the end result will be much different than some business guy deciding it wasn't worth it.

I have no doubt the church would win such a battle and the sooner we fight it the better. So I still have no problems making civil unions legal. And think the fear based reasoning is still unfounded. the boy scouts still kept the gays out right?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

Richard- I love you man!
    Ok- now it's getting ugly!

I'm sure this thread is likely to turn ugly
    Ahhh, have a little faith

I agree. See? Not ugly! Next thing you know, straight folks will be suing GayChubbyDating.com to get equal treatment.

I mostly agree with what you're saying Dan, but I'll play devils advocate and ask the questions;

-What service do 'nazi organizations, communism, or University of Michigan fans' offer to the general public that they are denying to you?

-I quite like the starbucks/hamburger argument but from the opposing perspective they are saying that the service a dating site is offering is 'the opportunity to meet someone to date'. Offering the service and denying a group access to the service seems discriminatory, doesn't it?
    For instance; they don't deny the service to mormons who chose to only date people who also choose to be mormons because that's discrimination, right?

Also, the slippery slope argument is often brought into these discussions in the same way it has been brought into this thread; 'if gay marriage is legal they will sue to be gay married in my church where gay marriage is considered a sin.'
    My suggested solution is this; the government should get OUT of the business of marriage. They should offer a civil union type of contract to any consenting adults who want it. Hetero, gay, or poly amorous unions, it's not the business of the government to decide who can be in what kind of relationship. This government contract is where your legal rights in the relationship come from. Tax breaks, hospital visitation and medical decision making, parental rights, inheritance, all of the rights that now come from marriage. The civil contract is NOT a marriage, is not called a marriage.
    Marriage is then moved into the realm of religion. If you want to get married according to whatever religion you choose you go to that religion, meet their standards of conduct or just pay the pastor or whatever, and get married. That marriage, without the civil-contract holds no value in the eyes of the law while conversely the civil-contract without marriage hold no value in the eyes of whichever god you choose.
    Whatever the religion, they are then free to select who is allowed to marry in their church according to their traditions and beliefs, without any legal rights being prevented to any citizen.

Keeps you off that slippery slope and seems fair to me. Who objects and why?

Specialized is the biggest Mountain Bike brand in Utah right now. But those jerks won't sell me a Rocky Mountain or a Kona.

I know they're great bikes, I've got documentation right here! Take a look at the stats, look at the components!

I know I could go elsewhere, perhaps places that are authorized Kona bike dealers, but Specialized is the biggest name right now. Why wouldn't they be respectful enough to sell me a Kona? Do they think they're better than me, a Kona fan?

Jerks.

Even though there are many places I could buy a Kona and take them on a test ride, I WANT SPECIALIZED to sell me a Kona! In fact, there are 2 bike shops next door that sell Kona's, why don't they get with the program? Everybody's doing it.

by the way, it wasn't me who started the original discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Offering the service and denying a group access to the service seems discriminatory, doesn't it?
    Not at all. Gay people are still welcome to traffic their site, but they just don't\didn't focus on the homosexual market.

Quote Originally Posted by Don

For instance; they don't deny the service to mormons who chose to only date people who also choose to be mormons because that's discrimination, right?
    Seriously, Don. If I came across a business who wouldn't sell to Mormons (which is not what I think was happening with eHarmony at all), I would simply go to a different business. That is how a free market is supposed to function.

If it bothered me, I would tell all my Mormon friends to stay away from that business.

I don't know how many of you watch "Lost" but one thing that is great about that show is the great character depth gained by viewing the different experience in people's life which proceeded the Island and affect their decisions they make. If we had that going on, you guys would know that A) I am not homophobic and this isn't me being "against" anyone and B) I have been discriminated against in the work place and was passed up for a job for which I was BY FAR the most qualified because I didn't drink and wouldn't fit in for the bar scene. Did I sue that employer? Nope. Instead I went to work for someone else (making more money and not having to put up with those types of politics).

I don't plan on responding more to this thread, because I have been doing a great job lately of avoiding the "passionate" threads and don't want to get sucked back in, so I'll just again say that I believe that people should be able to do what they want (and run their business how they want).

OK - so which one of you is going to sue Bogley to mandate a gay chat forum?

Quote Originally Posted by The European Death Knot

We ALREADY have a Politics section.

I'll be sending you some PM's check out the girth and let me know. Me and Iceaxe meet every Thursday with James and you're welcome to join us.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

I heard that is why Bogley changed from UUtah. Some other users in other states were suing uutah because they didn't include people from other states. In the end it turned out ok but it was a little shaky at first
    The man thong is wrong.

I find this interesting as Eharmony is very selective. I know people who couldn't get eharmony to do a match for them, though I don't know the reason. I know that eharmony strives to be a reputable company that works to find long term relationships.

What's to stop someone from sueing eharmony because they won't find them an extra marital relationship. Such as Ashley Madison. I find it hard to believe that there is not an alternative gay/lesbian match service.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice