Thread: Plans Changed

Plans Changed

I had made plans to get out to Snow Canyon last sunday with Dave and Dave to do an Island in the Sky Traverse in Snow Canyon State Park. The rain/snow put a damper on the plans and both Dave and Dave had picked up late winter "crud". I was aching to get out for some hiking so I fell back to my old "standby" Angels Landing. Angels Landing is very special after a good winter dumping. Pristine, glittering and pure, but best of all.....I always find that I have it all to myself! Headed up to the park at 10AM and was parked, donning my crampons at 11AM. As I trudged in 3 inches of slushie cottage cheese toward the summit, I noticed 2 footprints ahead. The shoes worn were standard running shoes. I knew I wouldn't have to worry about them making the summit, so I stopped and re-adjusted my crampons (had loaned them to a friend a month back). While stopped, 3 young fellows passed me by dressed in blue jeans and hooded sweatshirts, no hats or gloves! Best of all they wore "skater shoes" so I knew that they certainly wouldn't go far! Well.....I caught back up to the 3 as they started up the buried chains just past Scout Lookout. The other 2 tracks had turned back long ago. I worked up the chains that they were so painstakingly uncovering from the new 8" of snow. I asked if they wished me to break trail and uncover the chains to spare their blue tortured barren hands. They obliged! Got up ahead and wondered just how far they would follow? Dropped into the saddle, looked back and they were perched on the level slabs as they watched me work up the steepening ridge, and finally dissappear into the clouds. The snow deepened each step (thank goodness) to make footing even more secure. I arrived up top and swiped a rock clear of snow to sit, have a drink, eat a bar, and then snap a few photos. Periodically am opening would spread in the low clouds to show the valley floor below and mid levels of cliffbands surrounding. After 5-10 minutes I decided to head down and then cap the day at Deans new restaurant located in Springdale. Just before starting the descent at the west end of the ridge, low and behold here comes a solitary sweatshirted, skateshoed, bluejeaned, ungloved lost soul! I was amazed! Anyway I just had to take a picture of this solo BYU student that wouldn't take no as an answer to his sunday goal of seeing "The Angels". Here are a few shots of up top, an ungloved (until I loaned him my liners) BYU Hardcore and the beauty of Angels Landing in the winter after a nice snowstorm! Cheers!

PS: The good part....I'm heading back up to the park at 6AM this morning for the next 2 days for some great training! Yee-haw!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    No snowman this time?

Bogley BigShot
    nice :)

Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    No snowman this time?
    Oh yeah! I did make a snowman this time too! It was the same place and size as last time. Just didn't take a picture. It was really wet on that last ramp into Refrigerator and I didn't want to get the camera wet.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    nice :)
    Thanks! A much needed break for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Wow! Lotta snow.
    Not as much as you'd think. It was a wet compact sort of snow this time?!

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Awesome!!!
    Thanks Felicia! Look forward to seeing you and the family this spring! Hope your recovery is coming along strong, painlessly and successfully!

Re: Plans Changed

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    PS: The good part....I'm heading back up to the park at 6AM this morning for the next 2 days for some great training! Yee-haw!
    It was a good day up at the park yesterday! Classroom for all of the morning, and then out into the field for map and compass work. It got really soggy in the late afternoon, but was a blast! Today comes classroom and GPS and map work! I really look forward to learning and understanding GPS/ Map work much more in detail!

Ha, you're having way too much fun. We were just leaving the park as you were entering. I told Yo you were probably heading to Angel's Landing.

Win

How's the new restaurant?
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Ha, you're having way too much fun. We were just leaving the park as you were entering. I told Yo you were probably heading to Angel's Landing.

Win

What is the new restaurant?

Oh yeah - and great trip Bo! Would love to do Angels Landing in the snow one day.

Love those snowy pics! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Win
    I did have a good time Win. I looked for your Jeep as I always do when passing Oscars. Didn't see it? I ate at the new restaurant for Lunch both on wednesday and yesterday. I really like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    What is the new restaurant? Oh yeah - and great trip Bo! Would love to do Angels Landing in the snow one day.
    The Flying Monkey. Josh has put together a great menu with wood fire pizzas, and sandwiches. Salads, appetizers and beer and wine! More to come! The Flying Monkey is north of the new supermarket being built and in the same complex as the new bookstore and David Pettit Gallery. Great parking, easy access and super food! My favorite so far is the baked vegetable sandwich on homade foccasia!

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Love those snowy pics! Thanks!
    Think my camera is finally "sucking-a-cumarah"!? The pink edges on the photos make me think that it's time to look at a new one! Thanks though!

Bo,

I was wanting to get down to Zion this weekend and do some hiking, I had West Rim trail and Observation Point on my list but after seeing your post there's ahellofalot more snow than I expected. Will i need crampons and stuff? Is there somewhere close by I can rent them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide
    Bo,

I was wanting to get down to Zion this weekend and do some hiking, I had West Rim trail and Observation Point on my list but after seeing your post there's ahellofalot more snow than I expected. Will i need crampons and stuff? Is there somewhere close by I can rent them?

Thanks
    My guess would be that you'd want crampons (such as Katoolah KTS's) on the switchbacks etc. where the snow from above has sloughed and filled in the cut-away trails. I also believe that up high the snow could be quite deep and a set of snowshoes would come in quite handily? I've hiked both West and East Rims in winter and postholing up top became tedious. Gotta admit though; it's nice to get up there and enjoy the solitude, and winter scenery! I have a set of Katoolah KTS's that you could borrow, but I don't know who rents them locally? I believe that you can rent Yak-Trax at Bryce, but not aware who in Springdale might rent ice traction? Maybe Tom Jones knows? I did read on another thread "Timpanogos" that REI rents crampons? Good luck and enjoy!
    Bo

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/imag...&y=600&t=34148

Check out a recent avalanche of massive rocks just west of hell's Hole!!
    wow! be careful, out there!!

Great shots! I've been on top from up at an access just south of there.
    I didn't make it all the way north to where you were. Nice to see the ponds up there/lakes. I had heard about them. Saw a fox standing in a cave,
    dead/ and standing up as if stuffed like a taxidermist's work. I thought it was alive since it was in a dead standing position.
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

oops! this should have been a post response to your other hell's hole wash hike to the notch.

Still, what an avalanche!! hehe
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers