Thread: Planning for a 5-day Trip to Superstition Wilderness, AZ

Planning for a 5-day Trip to Superstition Wilderness, AZ

Hello, All,

I'm back to the forums again, this time looking for some beta from the locals on the Superstition Wilderness for a 5-day backpacking trip. My boyfriend and I drove through there last fall and thought it would be a great place to go back and explore!

So now we're planning to go there for five days in late March. I am reading all the trail material and books I can find, but I'm wondering what the best route would be. We would like to do a huge loop or a series of loops or maybe hike in and base camp and then do a series of day hikes. We'd prefer to hike 10 - 15 miles/day and elevation gain and challenging trails are not a problem (so that would be about 60+ miles for the five days we are out there). We like stuff that is very scenic, off the beaten path, remote and not places where people normally go. We love mountains and canyons especially.

Also, we will have a regular passenger car, so I think trailheads requiring access via 4WD or rough roads might be a problem.

So, here are my questions:

• I can determine through my guidebooks which trail heads are accessible, but which are safe from vandalism, etc. or is there much vandalism to worry about?

Will water be a problem in late March? I'm not sure what kind of winter y'all have been having out there.

I'd like to do some off-trail routes, but how reasonable is that given all the prickly plants and cacti?

Are the trails generally sandy or rocky? I had massive shin splints when I hiked in Grand Gulch in November -- we weren't prepared for the sandy trails. I guess I'll have to do more calf exercises!!

So what are your choices for truly scenic, challenging and somewhat remote trails in the Superstition Wilderness?

Thanks in advance,
    Lucinda

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Planning for a 5-day Trip to Superstition Wilderness, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia
    Hello, All,
    So now we're planning to go there for five days in late March. I am reading all the trail material and books I can find, but I'm wondering what the best route would be. We would like to do a huge loop or a series of loops or maybe hike in and base camp and then do a series of day hikes. We'd prefer to hike 10 - 15 miles/day and elevation gain and challenging trails are not a problem (so that would be about 60+ miles for the five days we are out there). We like stuff that is very scenic, off the beaten path, remote and not places where people normally go. We love mountains and canyons especially.

Also, we will have a regular passenger car, so I think trailheads requiring access via 4WD or rough roads might be a problem.

So, here are my questions:

• I can determine through my guidebooks which trail heads are accessible, but which are safe from vandalism, etc. or is there much vandalism to worry about?

Will water be a problem in late March? I'm not sure what kind of winter y'all have been having out there.

I'd like to do some off-trail routes, but how reasonable is that given all the prickly plants and cacti?

Are the trails generally sandy or rocky? I had massive shin splints when I hiked in Grand Gulch in November -- we weren't prepared for the sandy trails. I guess I'll have to do more calf exercises!!

So what are your choices for truly scenic, challenging and somewhat remote trails in the Superstition Wilderness?

Thanks in advance,
    Lucinda
    I have travelled quite a bit of the Supes, but not all of it yet:

Good books: Hikers Guide to the Superstition Wilderness by Jack Carlson
    Good website: www.hikearizona.com

For your questions: water is always a worry, but we have gotten fairly good rains, including a decent storm this last weekend, I would expect you to be able to find water, but you should also know the reliable sources in the area, which are, unfortunately, quite spread out.

Off trail routes: without knowing your experience, off trail routes can get you into trouble, but they can also be great, I would advise caution and yes, there are lots of prickley and painful problems you will face throughout the Superstitions, both on and off trail.

Vandalism: Occassionally a problem just about everywhere, but try to be smart, just don't leave anything visible or valuable in your vehicle.

Trails: nearly everything is rocky and tough on the ankles, the Dutchman might be the only exception.

Favorite Trails: Rogers Canyon from Rogers TH to Angel Basin, Bluff Springs, Reavis 109 South Trailhead to Ranch, Frog Tanks, Fireline to Circlestone

Great off trail routes: Peters Canyon, Fish Creek,

Seldom visited: Peters Trail, Two Bar Ridge

Car accessible trailheads: First Water, Tortilla Flats, Tortilla Rd @ Apache Trail, Peralta,

Iffy THs: North Reavis TH

High clearance needed: Tortilla TH (Ranch), Rogers TH, Woodbury TH, Miles TH, Campaign TH

If you are not familiar with the area I do strongly recommend having both map/compass and GPS (and knowing how to use both.)

PM me if you have any more questions.

Thanks, Nonot. That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. My boyfriend and I also do orienteering and he is addicted to the GPS, so we always have map, compass and GPS. The book you recommended is one of the books I've been studying.

Rocky terrain is better than sandy...it took me a couple of weeks to get over the shin splits I acquired at Grand Gulch. I'm used to rocky, not sandy!

Thanks again.