Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shakespeare and Englestead

Shakespeare and Englestead

I have an Englestead trailhead question; but first an explanation.

I am planning a trip through Englestead this summer. The wives, who have gone with us into a canyon before, are feeling intimated by the long entry rappel, and have decided to hike down to the first big drop, but return back to the vehicles. We are planning on rigging from a tree at the canyon
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I've only hiked in from observation point area we were able to drive a little closer than the east observation trail head. I have not hiked in from the other trailhead, old logging road, but talking to people who have it was very straitforward and easy. You can find a good discription in Tom's book in the shadyurl link below.

http://5z8.info/double-your-wang_r1n4j_inches-now

Also noticed you want to set up the rappel at the head of the canyon (tree E in the link below) insted of canyon left (tree B). Be careful about the core shot edge there at the head of the canyon (tree E). Unless one of the girls up top know how to feed out rope as you rappel to change the rub points on the edge I'd recomend using the standard anchor or bringing a long piece of old carpet for rope protection that one of girls can clean up at the end.

Latest Rave: Anchor and Rigging Quiz
    shady url link
    http://5z8.info/nsfw_o2p0y_racist

if you got room me and my 290 rope may like to come along.

Re: Shakespeare and Englestead

[quote=taatmk]I have an Englestead trailhead question; but first an explanation.

I am planning a trip through Englestead this summer. The wives, who have gone with us into a canyon before, are feeling intimated by the long entry rappel, and have decided to hike down to the first big drop, but return back to the vehicles. We are planning on rigging from a tree at the canyon
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The Mystery Trailhead hike is shorter and steeper, and quite poorly defined, thus requires considerable navigation skills and/or luck to use efficiently. From the North Fork road, the walk is longer, but less steep, and the navigation easy. AND the driving is shorter and easier. So I think the North Fork road is the better approach.

I've got 300' ropes if you need one, Kerry.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Also noticed you want to set up the rappel at the head of the canyon (tree E in the link below) insted of canyon left (tree B). Be careful about the core shot edge there at the head of the canyon (tree E). Unless one of the girls up top know how to feed out rope as you rappel to change the rub points on the edge I'd recomend using the standard anchor or bringing a long piece of old carpet for rope protection that one of girls can clean up at the end.

We are thinking of doing it from "Tree E." I will be the last one down and am planning on adjusting the rope rub point as each of us descends. Your statement about the "carpet" has given me an idea though. My wife works at a Granite School District Headstart preschool and has lots of little carpet squares that her kids use to sit on the tile floor. I see myself "borrowing" one (or a facsimile) to use at the entry rap lip. Good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    I've got 300' ropes if you need one, Kerry.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom. One of our group has acquired a brand new 325 footer.

[quote=taatmk]I have an Englestead trailhead question; but first an explanation.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    No canyon in the world should be deemed a "fair trade" for you having to sit through a Shakespeare play. I would have to say, in the "MAN" handbook this is clearly reason to get your card revoked.

Don't listen to them man. You do WHATEVER you have to so that you can get to a canyon. There is no shame in earning the blessing of a spouse to do a canyon. Just remember the #1 rule. We don't talk about what we have done.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    You do WHATEVER you have to so that you can get to a canyon.
    I live by one rule in life.... NEVER BEG.... unless sex is involved.....

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Maybe two cultural experiences can get them to haul the rope back up so you do not have to haul it all the way thru. We paid a couple of college kids to shuttle our trucks and then haul the rope back. 2 100's is alot nicer then one 300' once your down the big drop.
    Two 100'ers WOULD be nicer, except for the 120' rap down the flute, which might not be so nice. Caveat Emptor.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Maybe two cultural experiences can get them to haul the rope back up so you do not have to haul it all the way thru. We paid a couple of college kids to shuttle our trucks and then haul the rope back. 2 100's is alot nicer then one 300' once your down the big drop.
    Two 100'ers WOULD be nicer, except for the 120' rap down the flute, which might not be so nice. Caveat Emptor.

T
    Ok 2 120's. Whats 20 ft among friends.

Kerry,

If your wives are a maybe on going you could show them the pictures of when we went thru with 2 families. The first rappel is by no means something to take lightly but if you have a fireman belay at the bottom it is a pretty straightforward rappel. There are alot of pictures in this post but Englestead is towards the end. Still is my wifes favorite canyon.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...ght=englestead

Mark

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Don't listen to them man. You do WHATEVER you have to so that you can get to a canyon. There is no shame in earning the blessing of a spouse to do a canyon. Just remember the #1 rule. We don't talk about what we have done.
    Never, ever, discount close to 100yrs of life's travails.
    SAY NO TO SHAKESPEARE

The next weekend you'll be doing laundry and the dishes, after that the vacuuming and dusting.........

It can all start with one little trip to the "theater", put a stop to this nonsense now.

Am I at risk of emasculating myself by admitting that I have taken trips down to Cedar specifically to attend the Shakespeare Festival? And that these trips were taken of my own volition and without any feminine urging?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx
    Am I at risk of emasculating myself by admitting that I have taken trips down to Cedar specifically to attend the Shakespeare Festival? And that these trips were taken of my own volition and without any feminine urging?
    My ol' friend Bill writes a mighty mean play, let me tell ya. Jes cuz the crusty and grumpy old men can't stand a little culture does not mean the Bard cannot be appreciated. I'm with ya, xxnitsuaxx (Chinese?), Say it Loud and Say it Proud - the Bard kicks A.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    The next weekend you'll be doing laundry and the dishes, after that the vacuuming and dusting.........

It can all start with one little trip to the "theater", put a stop to this nonsense now.

No, no, no. You guys have got it all wrong. You might be playing with the wrong game plan here.... :)
    Its not about getting an "equal trade," but about making an "investment." Sitting through a little Shakespeare will reap many dividends to come. I can get a lot of return on such an investment......
    Take sitting through a chic flick with the little wifey for example. Its the equivalant of several action/dramas in weeks to come.

If your wives are a maybe on going you could show them the pictures of when we went thru with 2 families. The first rappel is by no means something to take lightly but if you have a fireman belay at the bottom it is a pretty straightforward rappel. There are alot of pictures in this post but Englestead is towards the end. Still is my wifes favorite canyon.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...ght=englestead

Mark
    Mark,
    Thanks for that link. I will show it to them. I know one of the wives for sure would probably go if the others did, but for the others its iffy.

Kerry