Thread: Imlay Heaps for canyon backpacking

Imlay Heaps for canyon backpacking

It's time to replace some old packs in my family. I've got a trip this spring to Buckskin Gulch and looks like it will involve a lot of water this year. So that is weighing in on my choices along with the idea of having a pack that would be more suited for canyoneering trips.

What is the collective wisdom of having an Imlay Heaps that would be used when backpacking as well as canyoneering? It's a bit small for a normal backpacking pack and maybe not as comfortable? For most day-trip canyoneering the Heaps is going to be overkill too.

Maybe I'm better off just putting a lot of grommets in my oldest backpacking packs for Buckskin and getting new backpacking packs for whenever I'm not wading through deep water.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I had the same dilemma, but mine was caused by the necessity of my student loans going to tuition instead of gear. I put grommets in the bottom of my old climbing pack and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it held up. There are quite a few good suggestions from those much more knowledgeable than I here

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19917

If you end up getting one of the packs and finding it doesn't quite work for you, feel free to donate it to my "keep Austin geared up" charity. Just ask me for more info
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

This is a picture of me and my backpack. It's a good backpack. But buying a backpack like mine will not make you a better canyoneer, it will not give you mega skills, and it certainly won't make you handsome like me. It will only mean you have a backpack like mine. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    This is a picture of me and my backpack. It's a good backpack. But buying a backpack like mine will not make you a better canyoneer, it will not give you mega skills, and it certainly won't make you handsome like me. It will only mean you have a backpack like mine. That's it.
    Trick question. It will give you all those skills and good looks. Don't be fooled by Ice's quote. It is really a pop quiz.

My next backpack will be Imlay. Not only because of Ice, but because I saw the awesomeness first hand last year and was sold!

You are right about it not being a perfect backpacker backpack. I have decided to buy one backpack for each hobby. That way I have a good bp for canyoneering and I don't trash my backpacking backpack.
    The man thong is wrong.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Imlay Heaps for canyon backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen
    It's time to replace some old packs in my family. I've got a trip this spring to Buckskin Gulch and looks like it will involve a lot of water this year. So that is weighing in on my choices along with the idea of having a pack that would be more suited for canyoneering trips.

What is the collective wisdom of having an Imlay Heaps that would be used when backpacking as well as canyoneering? It's a bit small for a normal backpacking pack and maybe not as comfortable? For most day-trip canyoneering the Heaps is going to be overkill too.

Maybe I'm better off just putting a lot of grommets in my oldest backpacking packs for Buckskin and getting new backpacking packs for whenever I'm not wading through deep water.
    You can rent Heaps packs down at ZAC. Not sure how much they charge. 435-772-0990. If you end up liking it, you can take the rental as a credit toward purchase.

Tom

Some good suggestions along with the dashed hopes of being as handsome as iceaxe with one deft purchase. Oh well, I'll deliver the bad news to my wife tonight

Yes the trade off of sport-specific gear and cost is clear. But I guess I'm also asking this particular upcoming trip and the 3 days of walking down the Paria after Buckskin. Would you take a canyoneering pack on that route if you knew there would be deep wading in Buckskin but then had to still walk out to Lee's Ferry when it would likely not deep for most of the rest of the trip. I guess there still can be some short deep crossing of the Paria right after the confluence, but certainly the last 2 days shouldn't have deep water.

Assume you owned or could use and modify with grommets any pack you wanted. What would you choose for that trip?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Some good suggestions along with the dashed hopes of being as handsome as iceaxe with one deft purchase. Oh well, I'll deliver the bad news to my wife tonight

Yes the trade off of sport-specific gear and cost is clear. But I guess I'm also asking this particular upcoming trip and the 3 days of walking down the Paria after Buckskin. Would you take a canyoneering pack on that route if you knew there would be deep wading in Buckskin but then had to still walk out to Lee's Ferry when it would likely not deep for most of the rest of the trip. I guess there still can be some short deep crossing of the Paria right after the confluence, but certainly the last 2 days shouldn't have deep water.

Assume you owned or could use and modify with grommets any pack you wanted. What would you choose for that trip?
    i personally would not take a Heaps pack, simply because I have many backpacks, and the Heaps is heavier than my regular "light backpacking" setup. I can't remember what the heaps weighs off the top of my head, but I think it's around 4.5 pounds? my 50 liter backpack is around 2 pounds.

that said, if any kind of rugged build or durability is concerned, the heaps will outlast everything else. and it will shed water quickly and effectively. so if it is something you will use for OTHER trips, not just the paria trip, I'd take it in a second.

then again, i own every ICG pack except a heaps, because I usually don't need 50L of canyoneering pack for my canyon trips. however, there are a handful of guys doing overnight canyon trips, and the heaps is the only way to go for them.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

All those pictures of people wading mudholes up to their neck, with their packs on their heads - for naught?

I've only done Buckskin once, and we had no wading over waist deep, if that. I'd suggest using a regular backpack, unmodified, with drybags or trash compactor bags. Unless you get it right after thunderstorms, I think you will have few if any deep wades.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    All those pictures of people wading mudholes up to their neck, with their packs on their heads - for naught?
    No I saw those and grokked that most folks, most of the time are fine carrying their packs or even never have to go in water above their waist.

I'm a little concerned after reading the report from that wacky moon rock thief, the fact that the Paria is running at an 80th percentile cfs for this time of year so far and also thinking about my wife who would likely prefer to use hiking poles for stability.

No worries, I appreciate the insights and sage advice.

I've taken my nice, light, expensive backpacking pack that I swore I would never take canyoneering on exactly one canyoneering trip. Took it through Heaps before I owned a canyon pack big enough to fit all my gear... It has never been the same since. I curse myself for taking it every time I use it now, rods sticking out, holes wearing through the bottom. One trip took at least two years off its life. YMMV but, Imlay packs are very good. A heaps pack is heavier than your standard lightweight backpacking pack but the trade-off is durability. Imlay packs are bulletproof compared to a lightweight pack. Ideally you want a pack for each because canyoneering is much harder on packs than wandering through the mountains.

Let me start by saying that I HATE my backpack. I have an Osprey and I have never "grown" to like the dang thing.

That being said, I used the pack when we did Buckskin and overnighted at the confluence. It was very dry and there was never an issue about getting wet.

Years ago, we did the entire trip from Whitehouse to Lee's Ferry. At that time we did not know anything about canyoneering etc. We used regular backpacks and wrapped all our stuff in trash bags. Although we did travel through a lot of water, there was never a reason for the pack to get wet from the river. It did rain and hail on us several times. Of course, one in the group tripped and fell into the river and soaked their sleeping bag.

I have backpacked the Narrows for the last 3 years and each time I have used my Osprey (with everything dry bagged) even though we spend a lot of time swimming in the Virgin.

Here is why I wear a regular pack:

I like to have the pouches on the sides of the pack to stash food and drink so that I do not have to stop all the time if I want a snack. The canyon packs do not have outside pockets.

On longer multiple day hikes, I like to be able to shift the weight of the load around to avoid hot spots. I shift the weight from the hips to my shoulders and then back again. I find this hard to do with the canyon packs. With the canyon packs, I can never get all the weight off my shoulders.

Suggestions:

Use dry bags for whatever you do not want to get wet.

Instead of worrying about grommets etc., when I get out of the water, I just bend over (head down towards knees) and let the water run out the top of my pack. It only takes a couple of seconds.

...just my two cents.

I love my ICG pack and took it through Buckskin last year. We did it as a through hike. My Mystery was awesome the two times we were above waist deep in water but a bit overkill. Definately not required. From now on - I'm saving my ICG stuff for Zion and using regular backpacking gear for other stuff.

Well for my immediate need to replace my backpacking pack I've gone with an Arc'Teryx Naos. It was kinda pricey though I found a big discount on line. It's got a very cool suspension that pivots and it is bomb-proof and waterproof.

Best of all today my company's stock just took a big jump up and I've now got some more disposable gear $. Looks like that IGC Heaps may be in my future as well

Well for my immediate need to replace my backpacking pack I've gone with an Arc'Teryx Naos. It was kinda pricey though I found a big discount on line. It's got a very cool suspension that pivots and it is bomb-proof and waterproof.
    Basically a dry bag with no protection from abrasion. Once one of these rigs gets a hole poked in it, they'll be a very poor choice for a long, wet canyon.

Where they'd shine is rainy, wet weather.

I kinda looked at them, but, not for canyons. Too high a risk of getting a hole in them, then you'd be screwed.

IMHO...

-Brian in SLC

Understood. These will be my backpacking packs not my canyoneering packs. I wouldn't thrash them in a technical canyon. With a little windfall coming my way I can now get some ICG packs as well.