Thread: Brief TR: Quail Creek/Zion/Snow Canyon

Brief TR: Quail Creek/Zion/Snow Canyon

February 12: Quail Creek/Anasazi Trail

Today Kessler, Shaylee, Kimberly and I hiked up Quail Creek to explore the canyon. Quail Creek is a beautiful gorge with waterfalls, narrows and pools and is nice at any time of the year. We had some shallow wading and we took a harder class 3 route around the first waterfall, but the going was easy until hitting Pool Falls. There was a rope hanging down the wall which served as a handline to climb the moki steps, but we decided not to take Shaylee above the falls so she waited with Kimberly.

Kessler and I climbed the rope and falls and went up canyon to a long pool of water. We then climbed high on the east wall of the canyon and climbed to the rim to admire the fine views before returning back down to where Kimberly and Shaylee were waiting. It was then a routine walk out and to the vehicle.

After completing Quail Creek, we hiked the Anasazi Trail to some Anasazi Ruins on the hillside before heading back down to camp.

February 13: Huber Wash/Petrified Forest/Chinle Trail

Today my Dad, my brother Mark and his son Josh joined Kessler, Kimberly, Shaylee and I for the Huber Wash/Petrified Forest Loop in Zion National Park. The high country of Zion was buried in snow, but without snowshoes and skis, the low land routes are still very doable all through the winter.

Huber Wash has a fair amount of mud in it, but we made our way upcanyon before eating lunch not far below the Petrified Logjam. After lunch we hiked up to the Petrified Logjam where petrified logs stick straight out of the cliff face. After admiring the petrified logjam, we climbed up the canyon wall opposite the jam and found the class 3 chimney leading up to the rim. The kids enjoyed the tight chimney and perhaps had an easier time of it than some of the adults did.

After climbing the chimney we made our way over to the Chinle/Petrified Forest Trail and followed the trail all the way down to the highway. Kessler and I walked back towards the vehicle, but got a ride part way from passing motorist. It was a great hike on a beautiful day.

February 14: Cinder Cone/Snow Canyon

Today my Dad, my brother Mark and his son Josh again joined Kessler, Kimberly, Shaylee and I and headed to the Snow Canyon area. First we climbed the cinder cone and admired the views down into Snow Canyon. We then returned to the vehicle and drove into Snow Canyon itself.

After reaching Snow Canyon, we hiked the Butterfly Trail to the Lava Flow Overlook Trail and found some lava tubes to explore. We explored two of the lava tube passages that shared a common mouth. Kessler, Mark and I made it the most far with some crawling through a tight chamber to where it opened up into a bigger passage.

After exploring the lava tube we climbed up to a dome and enjoyed the views. We then headed down to the bottom of Snow Canyon and followed West Canyon Trail to where we climbed some high domes before looping back to the trailhead.

After completing our long loop trip we headed for the rather short Jennys Canyon to explore it. It was a short canyon, but the kids had fun. After the canyon we headed for the Sand Dunes and mostly just messed around until it was time to head back for camp.

February 15: Quail Creek Gorge

Today the kids wanted to head back to Quail Creek in order to show it to my brother, dad and their cousin. We headed up Water Canyon to the waterfalls and once again to the rope climb and moki steps. Kessler, my dad and I climbed past the rope and climbed up to the inner rim of the canyon before heading back to the rest of the group. It was a nice four day trip, but was all too short.

2-12:

2-13:

(Petrified Log):

2-14:

2-15:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet! I'll have to check out Quail Creek the next time I'm down that way. That's one cool thing about Bogley- new cool places frequently come up...

nice TR and photos - I have heard a lot of good things about snow canyon lately.
    Wheres all the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Wheres all the snow?
    I was wondering the same thing. It looks like you had incredible hiking weather. Nice trip report - the kids look like they are having a great time.

Wheres all the snow
    If you mean where's the snow in "Snow Canyon", it hardly ever snows there. The canyon was actually named for Lorenzo Snow, whom was a president of the LDS Church 1898-1901.

It looks like you had incredible hiking weather.
    Indeed. Lower 60's during the day and mid 30's at night and lots of sunshine. Perfect hiking weather.

Bump, I've never been to Quail Creek. How long was that hike you took the kids on?

Bogley BigShot
    Fun. How old are the kids now? I have not been keeping track. You have 3 now? Or did you grab a neighbor kid too?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    If you mean where's the snow in "Snow Canyon", it hardly ever snows there. The canyon was actually named for Lorenzo Snow, whom was a president of the LDS Church 1898-1901.

Indeed. Lower 60's during the day and mid 30's at night and lots of sunshine. Perfect hiking weather.
    I didn't know that, trip out. I always thought it was called snow canyon because the rocks are white which is unusual for our red rock environment. *blushes*

Haven't seen the petrified logs yet, those look really cool, thanks for sharing.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quail Creek is fun! It's the Red Cliffs recreation area and is quite expanded as you can now hike around the old fort/movie set to the right just after you cross under the freeway. Mixed feelings. the mokie holes were enlarged so little ones could safely cross up the pond into the next level. Many used to turn back. the original ones were quite small hand and foot holds that went way way back in native time. Someone made them obnoxiously huge and now diamond shaped. the old faded ones are gone.
    But, little ones and others who did not trust the faded holes can now more easily go to the next level and follow the fun stream. on the next level, where the stream goes sharply to the right? go straight up the rubble scramble to a hanging valley.
    From there, walk gently down across this hanging valley to the west. then, naturally fall into the drainage. Usually dry. there is some scrambling required as you will be in a small slot that goosnecks back and forth some twenty times before dumping out on poverty flat.

Also, don't forget the other brother Erastus Snow whom the park was also named for. it was named for both of them.

Your pics are AMAZING!! I have crawled up down, all over snow canyon and the red cliff's rec area for the past 14 years.

when you go up the creek in Quail creek, look for what they call closed window arch. Scramble up the little dirt to the smooth facing. there is a pictograph made with rabbit blood at the base. Way cool.

Your little ones look like they had a blast. I should have had more kids.
    Just don't trust myself as a good provider. Never imagined ever having children.
    Me? a dad? Well, I did have a son and he is now 25 and we are really close as a family.

Here's to fun family outings. cheers! Great TR and fun read.

jerry
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

I was in Huber about the same time you were. The trail book I had said to avoid the wash when it was muddy, and a few times I wished I had listened. But it was still fun; it beats working for sure.

My kids have been bugging me to go up that cinder cone forever, and we finally did it last weekend when we were driving home from a trip to Baker Res. They didn't think it was all that cool, but I'm just glad they can now quit griping about it. "But you always say we will climb it on the way home and we never do!"

Hey, can I get directions to where you started the Quail hike?

How long was that hike you took the kids on?
    No long. Maybe 3-4 miles?

Hey, can I get directions to where you started the Quail hike?
    It starts from the campground below:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...ampground.html

How old are the kids now? I have not been keeping track

6 & 8, but with birthdays next month. This TR is from 1 year 2 months ago.

You have 3 now? Or did you grab a neighbor kid too?
    It's their cousin. We only have two kids.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.