Thread: TR: Whitney Pocket / Gold Butte

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

TR: Whitney Pocket / Gold Butte

For our annual Cabin Fever trip, we took our new truck and 5th wheel toy hauler on its maiden voyage.

Normally this time of year, we've gone down to Logandale, NV (about 30 minutes further south), but this time we thought we'd see what the Whitney Pocket / Gold Butte area looked like.

We departed Salt Lake in snow and low 30's on Thursday. Upon arrival in the Whitney Pocket area, the temps were high 50's/low 60's and full sunshine with no clouds to be seen. As the weekend progressed, temps hit a high of just under 80F on Sunday.

This sign is a bit deceiving as it was still 15 miles from Whitney Pocket and at least 30 miles from the actual Gold Butte location.

The kids climbing on a big sandstone formation

Our camp as viewed from the sand stone hill

Sign pointing to our first stop, The Devils Throat

The Devils Throat: A huge sink hole.

Rock hounding at Gold Butte. This area has the largest collection of crystals I've seen.

Riding a wash that we thought would take us to Lake Mead, but the trail was closed a few miles from the Lake (as were all the others we encountered).

Indian Artifacts we found along the wash

Camp on the first day

My youngest clowning

In the end, it was still great to get away, but it was disappointing that virtually every trail that seemed destined for Lake Mead was closed and fenced off. Not sure why dry washes would be fenced off, but the BLM seems great at fencing areas off and not so great at indicating legitimate trails or destinations.

Attached is our Garmin Tracks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like you had a good time. I headed out there Saturday to have a look. Found out it was about 30+ miles so turned around. How far back in did you go before you set up camp? I'm suprised to see your pictures with rock formations etc. in them. Driving back in there is pretty ugly.
    We rode around Mesquite Friday and Saturday. We were pretty dissappointed with the area. Just washes and jeep roads. My 8 year old gets bored just racing up a wash.
    It's funny you brought up Logandale, we headed down that way on Sunday. That area was a blast. It's like Moab on a much smaller scale with the Badlands of Wyoming thrown in. Sure were alot of ToyHaulers camping in there.
    I'm sure you loved the weather, couldn't of been better.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Looks like you had a good time. I headed out there Saturday to have a look. Found out it was about 30+ miles so turned around. How far back in did you go before you set up camp? I'm suprised to see your pictures with rock formations etc. in them. Driving back in there is pretty ugly.
    We rode around Mesquite Friday and Saturday. We were pretty dissappointed with the area. Just washes and jeep roads. My 8 year old gets bored just racing up a wash.
    It's funny you brought up Logandale, we headed down that way on Sunday. That area was a blast. It's like Moab on a much smaller scale with the Badlands of Wyoming thrown in. Sure were alot of ToyHaulers camping in there.
    We camped just near where the pavement ends on Gold Butte road. Agreed, that "road" was ugly for dragging the heavy 5th wheel in. We went in about 20+ miles and were less than 1 mile from the actual Whitney Pocket location.

Wow! Very cool! I would take those temps. I am getting spring fever and its way too early for spring fever.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    We camped just near where the pavement ends on Gold Butte road. Agreed, that "road" was ugly for dragging the heavy 5th wheel in. We went in about 20+ miles and were less than 1 mile from the actual Whitney Pocket location.
    So loaded with toys etc. how did it tow on the freeway etc?

Much better than empty. GCVRW was just under 28k pounds. I filled the 100gal water tank, the 30 gal toy fuel tank, had 3 ATV's in the garage and all our gear and I was still under my front/rear axle weights.

Dropped it off for service today (in Layton), and again empty, it tows like a bronco.

Much better than empty. GCVRW was just under 28k pounds. I filled the 100gal water tank, the 30 gal toy fuel tank, had 3 ATV's in the garage and all our gear and I was still under my front/rear axle weights.

Dropped it off for service today (in Layton), and again empty, it tows like a bronco.
    My small 23' is the same way, without the water tank full it is a pain to tow.

Where did you buy it in Layton?

My small 23' is the same way, without the water tank full it is a pain to tow.

Where did you buy it in Layton?
    Sierra RV in Sunset.

I'm looking forward to a non-dry camping trip next. Hooking up 50amp, water, etc and not pulling through rutty roads/trails will be nice. I'm thinking that will be the Fillmore KOA for our Spring ATV trip through the Tushars.

So after your first adventure is it to big when towing or worth it when you get your mansion on wheels to the camp spot?

So after your first adventure is it to big when towing or worth it when you get your mansion on wheels to the camp spot?
    Undecided. I know for a fact that some of the dry camping spots we've frequented with our 32' Class-C (due to height and length of the new rig) are no longer accessible.

I'll hold judgment until we hit the Richfield KOA, the Paiute trail system and the San Rafael in fall.

I don't think we can park in our normal spot in the San Rafael with this setup. I'll be further educated by the end of summer.

Additionally, I'm curious to find out if the KOA's we've used support 50amp. We've been 30amp for the past 4 years and I wasn't aware that any of our powered locations even had 50 amp service (not that I cant buy yet another power adapter).

I do think we may have gotten too large a trailer, but that's what the wife wanted. I was fine with a 32' that I could have towed with my existing Ram 2500.

looks like fun. we've had great weather here lately ! boo rain. i see they got rid of the vandalism on the wash panel, but it is forever changed behind that slight "haze". last i was there some shithead had drawn a penis over the pet's at the top right.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    looks like fun. we've had great weather here lately ! boo rain. i see they got rid of the vandalism on the wash panel, but it is forever changed behind that slight "haze". last i was there some shithead had drawn a penis over the pet's at the top right.
    There was still obvious vandalism. A few bullet holes in some panels and some faded names (Rob something..) scribbled into the panels as well.

Re: TR: Whitney Pocket / Gold Butte

In the end, it was still great to get away, but it was disappointing that virtually every trail that seemed destined for Lake Mead was closed and fenced off. Not sure why dry washes would be fenced off, but the BLM seems great at fencing areas off and not so great at indicating legitimate trails or destinations.
    Weird. There wasn't a sign a couple of years ago when we were able to follow the main wash thru the tight stuff right down to the tamarask near Lake Mead. We followed a 4 wheeler trail right up over the ridge and back to a dock.
    Check out http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15224
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Re: TR: Whitney Pocket / Gold Butte

We followed three washes that based on my TOPO would take us to Lake Mead. One each, the trail was closed. On the last wash, the trail wasn't only closed, but completely fenced off and blocked with rail ties, fencing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc

Weird. There wasn't a sign a couple of years ago when we were able to follow the main wash thru the tight stuff right down to the tamarask near Lake Mead. We followed a 4 wheeler trail right up over the ridge and back to a dock.
    Check out http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15224

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! I have always wanted to explore that area. Great pictures as always.

James

I you work your way one main road to the East (Pacoon road), it goes all the way to "Hells Kitchen". My dad used to fish there in his later years, and I went with him a few times.

We were out there a month or so ago, finding the cache "On The Edge" and placing a few. It is a looong way from anywhere out there. Just don't go in the middle of the summer, and don't go alone. No cell phone coverage, and you may not see anyone for days.
    Coach Steve

"Not all who wander are lost"

Somewhere outdoors, where you wish you were
    Brute,

What kind of crystals are are Gold Butte? Sounds interesting.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kd7kmp
    Brute,

What kind of crystals are are Gold Butte? Sounds interesting.

Kevin
    Don't know for certain (I'm not a rock hound), but an old fart out there told me that the vast majority can be "melted-down using Mercury" to produce/extract Gold.

All I know about them is that my kids made my RV 100 pounds heavier by bringing many back. They've been soaking them in a salt water solution for the past 2 weeks (to clean them, I guess).

There's a rough trail that leads to the very top of the mountain where the existing mine is.

Somewhere outdoors, where you wish you were
    Sounds cool. I used to drive to Vegas every week for work and often wanted to head out to Gold Butte. I may have to go check it out. Thanks.

Kevin