Thread: Winter Camping with Scouts

Winter Camping with Scouts

I just found out that the Spruces campground is closed to winter camping. Anyone have a good alternative for a scout winter camp? The closer to Lehi the better.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Winter camping is (or was-call the NFS) permitted in American Fork Canyon in the summer picnic areas.

East Canyon is also open for camping in winter.

Outside the campgrounds, there are some good campsites in the foothills of the Lake Mountains on the west side of Utah Lake, but muddy roads might be a problem.

Skull Valley is a popular scout camping place in winter, but it's not very close to Lehi.

Diamond Fork/Spanish Fork Canyon have winter camping as well (unless things have changed).

As scouts we used to camp in Ophir Canyon, but I'm not sure if it's still allowed. Maybe someone else has more updated info.

Mapleton Canyon has some decent spots.

We go to 5 mile pass. In winter it can get really muddy though. We stay on the south side of the road.

We also stayed at the Heber Valley Girls Camp this year. You can get a cabin for really cheap and then we just played in the snow and snowshoed the next day. If it is your klondike camp then it is cheating!

on a side note. Is snowshoed a word?
    The man thong is wrong.

This is not close but our troop goes to Crystal Hot Springs up to Bear River. Swim in the hot springs and then freeze to death in a tent, what more could you ask for.

Re: Winter Camping with Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I just found out that the Spruces campground is closed to winter camping. Anyone have a good alternative for a scout winter camp? The closer to Lehi the better.
    What activities are you looking for? Cross country skiing, snow shoeing, hiking, igloos....? Snow or no snow? Gear brough in by snow mobile or are you wanting to car camp or snow shoe or Xcountry ski in?
    Life is Good

Thanks everyone. We're a bit short on leadership, and my advisor has a bad knee, which limits our options a bit. I think we'll bag the camp and just snow shoe up to donut falls on saturday, and do a camp in March.