Thread: Subway Question

Subway Question

15 or so years ago as a Boy Scout I hiked the Subway. I would like to hike it again this year. I don't recall needing any climbing gear. It seems from the descriptions I have read here that a rope may be necessary? I recall a couple of short down climbs but nothing that required a rope(normal route, not the early entry to Russel Gulch). Am I remembering this hike incorrectly?

I have no aversion to taking a rope as a safety measure.

thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Subway REQUIRES a 60' rope for the final obstacle if doing it from the top down....

It's very possible you did it without a rope in the past.... Some years you will find old logs and stuff folks have carried up from the bottom to climb up the final obstacle and Keyhole Falls. I've also seen the pool at the base of the final obstacle be deep enough that it is jumpable, it was filled in with sand on my last trip through... I've also seen some idiots slide/jump the obstacles, broken legs/ankles are the biggest reason for SAR in the Subway..... the only dependable/safe method is to carry a rope.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Subway Question

Quote Originally Posted by jtrack79
    15 or so years ago as a Boy Scout I hiked the Subway. I would like to hike it again this year. I don't recall needing any climbing gear. It seems from the descriptions I have read here that a rope may be necessary? I recall a couple of short down climbs but nothing that required a rope(normal route, not the early entry to Russel Gulch). Am I remembering this hike incorrectly?

I have no aversion to taking a rope as a safety measure.

thanks.
    CAN be done, often, without a rope, mostly depending on who YOU are. As a 13 yr old young indestructible lad, the idea of using a rope was likely anathema. For us "silverbacks" (probably not you, yet), a rope is a good idea, and a wet suit makes the journey more fun and... etc. Sometimes there are logs at some of the drops, that make their descent easier. Sometimes not.

Yeah yeah I'm a safety nazi, no doubt. I've done the keyhole falls jump, catch and drop twice, without a rope, and sprained my ankle, twice. The landing is bad, round boulders hidden in knee-deep whitewater. No more for me, thanks. The first boulder obstacle CAN be downclimbed. Only two or three people a year (out of 1200) break their ankle there each year. Good odds, unless it is your ankle.

Tom

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a rope. My guess is this would be primarily for use as a hand line and a harness wouldn't be necessary?

Bogley BigShot
    I always want a rope!!!! :)

And don't even tall me no silver back....

That depends. Tom and Shane would probably handline the whole thing. On that last obstacle, when its wet and slippery... I like a harness.

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a rope. My guess is this would be primarily for use as a hand line and a harness wouldn't be necessary?
    Personally, I find it easier to start with either Russell Gulch or Das Boot, in which case I WILL have a harness etc, and then there is no ifs ands or buts. I would take a harness - not like it is a lot of weight. There's a cool rappel at the end, off the log (if it is still there and solid), under the waterfall - hard to do that one without a harness.

Tom

Got it. thanks.
    Oh, and WELCOME TO THE BOGLEY!!!

Tom