Thread: Bike Trainer question?????????

Bike Trainer question?????????

I am looking into getting a bike trainer to start getting ready for the up coming season. Are they a good idea? Do they really help when riding season kicks in? Are they worth the $$? Thoughts?

Oh, and one of my goals this year is to go on a tuesday ride with you all.
    GO!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They bet boring rather quickly, I would rather buy a nice winter riding kit (tights, rain paints, jacket, warm gloves), then own a trainer.

Of course, they do work. Some people love to sit and spin while watching TV or DVDs. If you can't actually get out and put real miles on your bike, a trainer may come in handy. Don't go cheap, avoid magnetic trainers, fluid ones are much much better. Also get a mount for your front tire to bring it off the ground and level out your bike.

Trainers are great for staying in shape. They are totally worth it. The only problem with them is that they are SO boring. If you can make it for an hour without tearing your eyes out, you're lucky. I would recommend some rollers. They are way more fun to ride on and will really help you pedal smoother and more consistently. They are also a great way to get a good aerobic workout and burn a ton of calories.

You can get some here. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1028745_-1___

or here. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...&top_category=

They take some getting used to and it's a lot like learning to ride your bike all over again, but they are great and way more interesting than a stationary trainer. Just my 2 cents.

I used to sit on the trainer and watch Survivor figuring if they could last an hour then so could I. That said, I bought a spring closeout Minoura Mag something for $90. It was worth it but I'm also glad I didn't pay more because I don't use it more than a few times every winter.

I prefer to be on the road or trail. In spite of my decent winter setup, my eyes still give me trouble below 15
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Do it

Trainers are great for an aerobic workout, I have a kurt Kinetic trainer and like it quite a bit, beats sitting on the couch, if it were fun to do and easy than no one would be fat and out of shape.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I have a cyclops fluid trainer that I used once or twice. It has been collecting dust for about 10 years now. Too boring.

I would recommend buying cheap to begin with, as in used from KSL or Craigs or a new close-out from one of the online retailers. Try it for awhile and see if it's your thing. If you like it then you can bump up later to something fancy/better. I have a mag trainer that I bought from Performance Bike on clearance and it's worked good for 2 seasons now. This season however, I haven't even dug it out of the attic. It is boring, even if you're watching TV or a movie. I took up x-country skiing which is a much better workout and I can be to a groomed trail withing 15 minutes of my house. When I do use the trainer, I ride it in the garage. Yes, it's cold to begin with but, once you get warmed up, the temp is just right. I overheat exercising in the house, even with a fan blowing on me. I'm also not thrilled with the unnatural stresses the trainer seems to put on the bike. Maybe a roller trainer would solve that concern. I do have a couple of bike workout DVD's and the best of the bunch is Bruce's UtahMountainbiking workout DVD. It is tough and should only be ridden to a couple times a week. It will build strength and endurance. In between, do a more steady pace, mid aerobic workout to TV or a movie.
    My 2 cents.
    Are we there yet?

Thanks for everyones 2 cents.

Thank you for your input everyone. I really would like to get into biking shape BEFORE the season really kicks in so I will consider all the info. Thanks again!
    GO!

I think trainer workouts are great! I try to do one per week with a specific goal in mind. I find that the specificity of the trainer workouts are extrememly beneficial.

I like to use the Spinerval tapes - they're awesome. 45 minutes of a killer workout. My favorites are the Big Ring Strength workout, the Sufferama workout, and the Interval training workouts. The time goes by really fast and it's funny to watch the riders in their 80s hair! haha.

I wouldnt recommend a roller set up - they're hard and you spend a lot of time just trying to stay on the thing rather than get a good workout (at least that MY personal experience, I got a roller trainer for my first experience).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I wouldnt recommend a roller set up - they're hard and you spend a lot of time just trying to stay on the thing rather than get a good workout (at least that MY personal experience, I got a roller trainer for my first experience).
    That goes away. I promise. I had this problem the first 2 or three times that I used them but now I find them to be a great thing. I can get a great workout on them and have been using them just about everyday for the whole winter. A good hour to hour and a half on them and you know you have worked hard.

They aren't much good fro intervals and such though. That's why it's a good idea to have both in my opinion.

I just ride an upright bike and yep watch TV. I watch reruns of the show "charmed" on TNT in the mornings. BTW, they run at 6 and 7. No volume needed...I just play Rage Against the Machine on my iPhone. It does wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I just ride an upright bike and yep watch TV. I watch reruns of the show "charmed" on TNT in the mornings. BTW, they run at 6 and 7. No volume needed...I just play Rage Against the Machine on my iPhone. It does wonders.
    Awesome!

I'll try that in the morning.

I purchased an old road bike just for the trainer, saves wear and tear on the mtn bike.

I still dream of that hug from Alyssa Milano last year! Mmmmmmm!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I purchased an old road bike just for the trainer, saves wear and tear on the mtn bike.
    I need to do that. I just got a new trainer

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    I still dream of that hug from Alyssa Milano last year! Mmmmmmm!
    You lucky bastage!

I just got another cheap bike trainer for my birthday since I've misplaced my first one. Now the first one will magically appear in the next week.

I've put my wife's bike on it so I'm not wearing down my tread. Plus, she's got some slicks on hers, it's just a little sidewalk cruiser.

I plan on hitting it a few times a week while watching Judge Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I plan on hitting Judge Judy a few times a week.
    That's just WRONG!

Go and join a SPINCLASS. Seriously. I am the 'minority' in those classes (meaning MALE). I go several times a week at an hour a pop, Plus run the treadmill at the rec center. I highly recommend both!

Yeah, Mark keeps telling me to join him in the spinning class, he keeps talking about the scenery in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Yeah, Mark keeps telling me to join him in the spinning class, he keeps talking about the scenery in there.
    It's really quite remarkable 13 bikes and rarely more than two men at any time - and all the bikes fill up. THEN, I hit the 'pump n flex' class, the 'power abs' class, the 'circuit training' class....never more than two or three men in a full class there. I LOVE my rec center!