Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogley Snowshoeing WinterFest 2010

Bogley Snowshoeing WinterFest 2010

Had a great time, thanks to those who organized this, and Joe & Heather for showing us the trail.

Here was the original weekend plan:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19891
    Attached Images Attached Images                      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool - looks like a good time! But who's that guy in the blue shirt? Looks kind of like someone I know, except he has clothes on.

I wish I would have packed up a snowboard on my back, that was some good powder coming down.

I had a great time....seriously out of shape, but good times nonetheless...

HAHA!!! Great time this weekend. Wow I am whooped! Or maybe it's the beer. Going to bed now. Thanks to everyone for showing up and playing along.

ps- Kev, I got the GOOD pics. Possibly rubbish bin quality.

enjoy...
    Attached Images Attached Images              

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    That was fun!
    Chere'

What a blast! Wish I could have been there - SOMEDAY the timing will work out for me.

Where was the hike??
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Great hike and great company. We need to do it again. I like that ridge.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    What a blast! Wish I could have been there - SOMEDAY the timing will work out for me.

Where was the hike??
    We missed you at dinner!

We ended up hiking Guardsmans Pass. ( I think) Just above Brighton. I really like that hike. It was mentioned that next year we would like to make it to the peak (I have no idea the name of the peak we want to conquer, help please??).

So next year NO 12 mile hike the day before, earlier start, same place and I think the bar is out. We were all too tired after dinner to make it to the bar. Does that mean I am getting old???
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    So next year NO 12 mile hike the day before, earlier start, same place and I think the bar is out.
    If there could be no uphill next time, that'd be great too.

Looked like fun!

Given the amount of "activity" in the Mill Creek area yesterday, specifically the Gobblers Knob/Wilson/Alexander areas, how tuned in were you folks to the avalanche hazard?

I couldn't tell from the terrain you guys were hiking in, but, was it lower elevation stuff low down in the Mill Creek area?

Or, did you get up fairly high, and, travel on east-north-west facing aspects? How steep were the slopes you traversed and travelled under?

Take care out there!

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Hey Brian, we stayed on a well traveled ridge top. There was one section that had some major N facing wind drift, but we stayed well away from the cornice on the top wind eroded side. On the descent, we hit one open hill, but it was only 20 degrees in steepness, and as far as I know, has never slid.

There was really no exposure to any slide paths on the ridge top. Plenty of scary stuff just a few hundred feet down on both sides, but we obviously had no desire to drop into the steeps.

Elevation of the trail is ~400 - 1400 feet higher then the Brighton parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    Elevation of the trail is ~400 - 1400 feet higher then the Brighton parking lot.
    Plenty high enough. Hmm. Wouldn't a figured it be that high.

Where did you guys go?

Kinda always curious when I see groups out in the backcountry in the winter, especially snowshoers, and if they are clued in to avy terrain, etc.

Have pretty strong memories of the gal that was buried up Butler Fork a few years ago. Used to see her and her friend all the time, always huge, pie eatin' grins, pleasant on the trail with a "hi" or "nice day". Super deep burial. Amazing that she survived...(deepest survived burial in U.S?).

Anyhoo...

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

According to the topo I picked up we hiked the north ridge below the peak just north of Clayton Peak....just south of Guardsman Pass. Well traveled hiking area in the summer. I am SO HOOKED! Here's some video of our descent: