Thread: Mystery and Russell Gulch/Subway Video

Mystery and Russell Gulch/Subway Video

Hey all, I've finally put together a short video slideshow of a couple of canyons back in October. Don and I did Mystery on the 13th, then Bret joined us for Russell Gulch and The Subway on the 14th. Here are some of the photos (didn't really take any video on the trips):

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Wow! VERY nicely done.

Tom

Excellent!!

I like the choice of music.

DIG! DIG! DIG!

Indeed I did! Great job Kev.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Thanks, guys! The music - first song is (part of) "Tick Tick Boom" by The Hives, and second is "Losing Streak" by The Eels.

Nice, I am ready for winter to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Thanks, guys! The music - first song is (part of) "Tick Tick Boom" by The Hives, and second is "Losing Streak" by The Eels.
    Which means its probably not long for the you tube scene...

Good editing. I like how you synced up the music and pic's.

What program did you use?

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Which means its probably not long for the you tube scene...

Good editing. I like how you synced up the music and pic's.

What program did you use?

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC
    Yeah, I get videos bumped now & then, but some stay. I'm hoping these aren't big enough to attract attention. I have to go have a look at the music they have available for free & find some good stuff next time I'm going to make a vid.

Thanks, Brian. I use Pinnacle Studio v12. It's quirky, but has great editing down to the frame level. Some pretty good effects, dissolves, transforms etc. Lots of gimmicky ones that I never use. Kind of fun to play with, though.

Thanks, Brian. I use Pinnacle Studio v12. It's quirky, but has great editing down to the frame level. Some pretty good effects, dissolves, transforms etc. Lots of gimmicky ones that I never use. Kind of fun to play with, though.
    It seems to kinda be "the way". Have to say I really enjoy these videos. Kinda makes the old slide shows a thing of the past.

I've attempted a couple but sans sound. Having good music (or, even fair) really spruces them up.

Takes some time and effort, though. I'd imagine, like anything, once you get it down, its not too bad.

Even splicing in kinda low res crappy digi camera video really makes them shine, too. I try to run video off my point and shoot digi camera more often. Makes a trip more memorable and I think folks get a better feel for things.

Pretty neat!

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    It seems to kinda be "the way". Have to say I really enjoy these videos. Kinda makes the old slide shows a thing of the past.

I've attempted a couple but sans sound. Having good music (or, even fair) really spruces them up.

Takes some time and effort, though. I'd imagine, like anything, once you get it down, its not too bad.

Even splicing in kinda low res crappy digi camera video really makes them shine, too. I try to run video off my point and shoot digi camera more often. Makes a trip more memorable and I think folks get a better feel for things.

Pretty neat!

-Brian in SLC
    I'd say that those 2 videos (joined into one for YouTube) took about 6-8 hours of work over the last 3 days or so, starting with selecting the better photos from the folders and consolidating them, then fooling around to put 'em in place, put in a little zoom or pan or something, drop in dissolves, time the fades, etc. I think the next couple will go quicker (a few more trips to do from October.) I was pretty out of practice, having not done anything like this for a year or two.

Yes, I totally need to take more video, too. I've been meaning to do so, but never seem to actually do it.

Funnily enough, my wife won a little Sony HD camera last month. It's called the "Snap" up here - in the States it's called the Webbie or something. Shoots up to 1080p video, on a Sony memory stick. Grabbed an 8GB card and a couple of spare batteries, and I'm looking forward to carrying all 120g of it through some canyons in the spring... Not waterproof, but pretty small and tuckable/liftable. I'd love a waterproof one, but hey, for the price of free, plus about $40 for the card and batteries, I'm pretty happy.

Like you say, people get a better feel for things with video. It's amazing to look at (and listen to) the video from a tight slot - the darkness, the claustrophobic echoes, and so on - even from a point and shoot.

Sweet, Very nice!! Looks like a you guys had a blast.

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    Very nice Kev!!!