Thread: My First Mountain Bike Ride

My First Mountain Bike Ride

I just ran into some old pics. Notice the rental I'm riding. It was Scott, Jason and I on Gooseberry Mesa.

That cliff's edge pic has my Klein in it so it must have been the next year.

What was your first trail?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was trying to remember when they actually made a parking area with the red cinder rock and cedar posts for the Gooseberry trail. I think that it was about 2000. I had a difficult time arranging a meeting location for the start of the trail system prior to that. I wish that I had some pics from 1991 riding the green valley loop on my Giant iguana ridgid bike.

My first ride was on Paradise Rim/Turtle Wall, only 3-4 years ago. Can't remember how long ago it was offhand.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    My first ride was up Art Nord ok really I just hiked my bike up it and rode down. But by the end of the first season riding a mtn bike i was riding up that trail with no problems that was 3 years ago. After the first time I would hike my bike up Ice Box Canyon and then ride down Art Nord. I thought everyone riding down Ice Box was crazy!!!! Now I love coming down Ice Box I even made that really steep section this year. Still can't make the one switch back.
    Chere'

Ha, awesome! I remember that ride. My first ride was prolly Wasatch Crest in 1989-90 time frame. I was riding an 18 speed Bianchi.

Wow, you guys take some pretty hard core first rides! Gooseberry, Crest...

My first time ever on a mtb was about 16 years ago - it was on a local trail in Ann Arbor (MI). I could barely ride straight on the trail, it was ridiculous! That was an old Cannondale. Then I got a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp and put clipless pedals. My first ride on clipless was Slickrock! Man, I bit it bad trying to get up one of the steep hills - stalled out, couldnt unclip and went ass over teakettle right back down! Ahhh, the good old days!! :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Not our first ride, but first time riding the Slickrock trail, circa 1990.

Bikes: Schwinn Mirada - No suspension, toe clips, skinny knobbies, cantilever brakes, above-the-bar thumb shifters (only the rear was indexed).

Riders: No helmets (what are those?), t-shirts, acid washed jeans (with pant clip), tennis shoes, fingerless gloves, 20 years younger.

Seems primitive now. But know what? We still had a blast.

Kris - that's classic!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Awesome photo, Kris! That's about when I started riding Moab as well. My first mtn. bike (if you could call it that) ride in Moab was Porcupine Rim. There was no such thing as suspension- front or rear. I felt like I had been run over by a truck when we got done. The next year I rode it on my same Trek 1000 bike but had added a brand new front shock- a RockShox 1.5" elastomer travel rig. Man I thought I was in heaven!
    I think the first off-road ride I did was up one of the Cottonwood Canyons but don't remember for sure. It would have been '88 or '89.
    Are we there yet?

Classic pics.

My first taste of anything remotely resembling single track was Ricks Canyon in 1984. I was a starving student with no camera on a boat anchor heavy Sekai. I never made it down to ride the Slickrock Trail until 2001 or 2002. (long story including years of voluntary poverty on the 13 year plan for a BS degree)

My riding companions were hoping to see me bonk both times.

Too bad I let 'em down.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Sweet

My first ride was on a specialized hard rock, complete rigid front and back, up the indian trail before they outlawed bikes, road from roy to ride it. roughly 1992 or so.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

My first if I remember right was on a route in Brigham City that we used to call the "bomber run". It was a lot of fun but the first part of that trail is now part of a gravel pit and is blocked off by a newish subdivision. Part of the trail is still there though and you can get to a lot of places on those trails.

I still remember my first bike. It was a GT Outpost Trail with no shocks or nothing. That was in 1993. Good times.

My first mountain bike was a 1982 Diamondback ridge runner. I got it from my uncle in 1984. I rode on the foot trails in the Pine Valley area in Southern Utah. I also rode it in the hills where Santa Clara heights and the Dixie downs area now exist. I remember not even being able to touch the ground as it was a very big bike. I wish that I had it now, it may have been worth something.

Photography was just turning to color back when I was riding my first bike BUT my first real 'mountainbike' was a Diamondback - complete rigid frame, a gear rack on back, and a BioPace crankset ...and I thought I was stylin'!

I remember the biopace ring. I had a 52 tooth and I thought that I could pedal faster than anyone. I soon found out that a smaller rear cassette gear is what really makes the differance. I had the biopace ring on the Diamond back as well as the Giant. Seems like Schwinn was selling them on some models back in the mid 80's. Time fly's by fast !