Thread: Canyon Suggestions for Early March

Canyon Suggestions for Early March

I'm looking for suggestions for canyons to run in early March. We will have three days available, and are coming in from Denver (so SE Utah will be most practical). We have moderate canyoneering experience (I've probably done around 35 canyons) and more mountaineering experience, but neither of us have done canyons in the winter. Still, I guess I'm saying we would feel comfortable with such conditions. In fact, I'd say we would prefer canyons where an ice axe and/or crampons would be required (something similar to Echo in the spring comes to mind). We just don't follow the message boards enough and simply don't get out enough to know the most interesting options out there. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Canyon Suggestions for Early March

Quote Originally Posted by The European Death Knot
    I'm looking for suggestions for canyons to run in early March. We will have three days available, and are coming in from Denver (so SE Utah will be most practical). We have moderate canyoneering experience (I've probably done around 35 canyons) and more mountaineering experience, but neither of us have done canyons in the winter. Still, I guess I'm saying we would feel comfortable with such conditions. In fact, I'd say we would prefer canyons where an ice axe and/or crampons would be required (something similar to Echo in the spring comes to mind). We just don't follow the message boards enough and simply don't get out enough to know the most interesting options out there. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Not much response to this, perhaps because... hard to say. Winter has a rare strong grasp on Utah Canyon Country this year. The accident in Larry Canyon in November has (hopefully) put a damper on folks's desire to 'bring it on' in the winter season...

There are very few to zero canyons where having an ice axe and crampons provides anything more than another way for you to draw your own blood. Rarely would it solve the problems resulting from the snow and ice that currently blankets the canyons.

First off, you will likely need to stay close to the paved highway, as 'sane' travel off pavement, even with full capable vehicles, will vary widely with the location, altitude, time of day and a desire to return to work on a timely basis.

Got big honking wetsuits? Or drysuits?

Basically, conditions we had at Freezefest persist. Dial it back, all the way. Go do VERY EASY canyons that you know well, and can engineer your way into and out of. I was thinking Dragonfly in Arches might be good - but I've only done it once, so hard to say. I would not do Mid-evil Chambers, because I'm not sure you could get out to the final arch safely - the slickrock might be snowed over.

There's two brew-pubs in Moab, aren't there????

Tom

With southern Utah getting pounded with snow lately it's hard to recommend an area. I'd probably go where the snow isn't

Here are some live camera's to help monitor the snow.
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/

Looks like Moab might be melting out a little.... no camera for Bullfrog/Hanksville that I could find....

Here are a couple more camera's that are useful. These are UDOT's

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/mosaic/udot_cams.php

Look down in region 4 to see real time pictures from the San Rafael Swell and Cedar Mesa.

And here is a live camera from the Bullfrog Boat Ramp
    http://www.nps.gov/glca/photosmultim...frogwebcam.htm

There is a camera to all the Powell marina's on the Bullfrog page.

Anyone been to the North Wash or Moab recently? I am getting some serious spring fever, and I want to spend as many days as possible during my spring break canyoneering (mar 16-20). I am hoping that southern utah will warm up, melt, and drain out by that time...

On a related note - anyone interested in doing some canyons Mar 16-20? I can take most the week off because of spring break, but my usual partners will not be available to go with me till the weekend, and I want to leave early in the week.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Thanks for all the info, guys.

It is with a heavy heart I must report my winter canyon trip is cancelled. Not all hope is lost, however, as our plans have now simply changed (we are going ice climbing in Colorado instead). I wish there was enough time to do both trips, as I think the canyons would be really interesting at this time of year (on top of there being potentially great photo opportunities). This is something definitely on my radar, though, so I'd love to hear any trip reports during a similar timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    Anyone been to the North Wash or Moab recently
    I was in Moab this weekend and there was still ridiculous amount of snow in Arches and Island in the sky.

Wow - thanks for the update, and awesome pictures.... I am really hoping things warm up enough to allow a pleasant time during mid march.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space