Thread: 2010 Football Recruits

2010 Football Recruits

Wednesday is the biggest day of the year in college football....

I notice BYU is offering no JC players.... which means they feel they have no immedate weakness.... or.... they are planning on doing some rebuilding over the next two years.... BYU is also currently over the 25 player limit of commitments. That means they will have to gray shirt several players (send a few boys on missions)....

It looks like Utah has a lot of speed committed....

And you Utah State guys are going to love Keegan Anderson, the kid has some serious skillz....

BYU
    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...2010&School=10

Utah
    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...2010&School=88

Utah State
    http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitli...010&School=311

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BYU pulled Kona Schwenke's offer after he tripped to ND over the weekend, so they have one less commit than the list shows.

Also, inevitably, someone doesn't qualify, which is why they tiptoe the fine line of scholarships. There was also reason to believe Unga was leaving, and he's now staying, so that is another schollie.

They'll figure it out. It's been Bronco's modus operandi for 5 years now.

Also, I heard the Utes had a bunch of Texas kids decommit. What's up with that? Why aren't they signing more than 19 players?

Also cool to see Maka Unufe sign with the Utes. He's a Provo kid, who only played one season. He's got mad skills, saw him twice this season. I think BYU would've offered him too, and loved to have him, but he would've had to sit a year to get his academics in order. I could see that guy doing some serious damage, and he totally flew below the radar for every school. Never went to summer camps and what not. Dude is tough though. They rank him at 3 stars, but he might be more...

How many Stars a kid gets is not always a good indicator.... I see it all the time... a 4 star kid gets offered by Texas or Florida and suddenly the websites have him rated 5 stars... I've also seen good kids fly under the radar for similar reasons... Keegan Anderson might be a good example, top grades, descent size, descent speed, great vertical leap, the kid can play, catches anything in his zipcode... but everyone figured he would go play for Utah or his ol' man so none of the big schools chased him very hard....

As for the 19 Utah scholarships... I'm guessing its part of a strategy some coaches follow which is "Don't offer just to be offering".... I also believe scholarships can be banked.... but for the record USC only has 13 offers out, Ohio State 18, Nebraska 19, so the Utes are in good company....

^That's because the rest of the USC offers are handled by the boosters :)

Just watched VJ Fehoko sign his LOI and put on a Ute hat...sweet... And we just got Terrell Reese.

I just returned from the Cougar Club lunch where we were introduced (via video) to the new recruits. I like what I saw and heard from Bronco and the other coaches!!! What I liked most is that after two years, the MWC is in good position to be added to the BCS if the BCS must continue. I do wish the MWC would trade Wyoming for Boise State. Now that would make for a fun football season.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    How many Stars a kid gets is not always a good indicator.... I see it all the time... a 4 star kid gets offered by Texas or Florida and suddenly the websites have him rated 5 stars... I've also seen good kids fly under the radar for similar reasons... .
    I think Bronco must have been reading Bogley. He said a very similar thing. I think of All American Dennis Pita -- a walk on.
    Life is Good

Utah, BYU and Boise have all pulled a couple rabbits out of the hat this time around.

I was looking at the BCS agreement the other day... and if the MWC keeps things up they become an automatic BCS conference.... but here is an interesting kicker... if they are not going to qualify they can add Boise to the conference and than they also get to count Boise's record.... so... I think the MWC will stand pat and see if they can qualify... and only add Boise if they need the final boost and Boise will put them over the hump....

That's just my guess of how things will go down over the next two years....

All-Name Team update

Now that New Orleans quarterback Munchie Legaux has signed with Cincinnati, we know where all the members of the 2010 All-Name Team are headed.

Honolulu safety Wave Ryder will attend Utah State.

Gulfport, Miss., athlete Furious Bradley will attend Southern Miss.

Temple, Texas, tailback Lache Seastrunk will attend Oregon.

Calhoun, Ga., quarterback Nash Nance will attend Tennessee. Nance's teammate, Da'Rick Rogers, also will attend Tennessee.

Loganville, Ga., tailback Storm Johnson will be a Miami Hurricane. Tulsa would have been the only other acceptable school for a player named Storm to attend. OK, maybe Iowa State.

Charlotte, N.C. linebacker Prince Shembo will attend Notre Dame.

Toquavius Gilchrist, a linebacker from Butler County Community College in El Dorado, Kan., will attend South Carolina.

Cary, N.C., defensive end Fre'shad Hunter will attend NC State.

Miami offensive lineman Jose Jose -- the player so big they named him twice -- will attend Central Florida.

Of course, this year's names were only a warm-up for the greatest recruiting name of all time. In 364 days, Miami defensive end God's Power Offor will sign with some lucky program.

So where do five-star recruits go, you ask? Here's a breakdown by conference.

1. SEC (10): DE Ronald Powell (Florida), DT Sharrif Floyd (Florida), DT Dominique Easley (Florida), WR Da'Rick Rogers (Tennessee), RB Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina), RB Michael Dyer (Auburn), ATH Spencer Ware (LSU), OT Shon Coleman (Auburn), S DeMarcus Milliner (Alabama), S Matt Elam (Florida).

2. Pac-10 (9): OT Seantrel Henderson (USC), WR Kyle Prater (USC), S Keenan Allen (Cal), ATH Robert Woods (USC), DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa (UCLA), RB Dillon Baxter (USC), DE Chris Martin (Cal), WR Markeith Ambles (USC), RB Lache Seastrunk (Oregon).

3. ACC (3): OT Robert Crisp (NC State), CB Lamarcus Joyner (Florida State), LB Christian Jones (Florida State).

4. Big 12 (2): DE Jackson Jeffcoat (Texas), LB Jordan Hicks (Texas).

5. Big Ten (1): DE William Gholston (Michigan State).

Boise beats Notre Dame for safety
    From SI.com

For all of you who keep saying that Boise State needs to beat the big boys, here's a win for the Broncos. Wednesday, they beat Notre Dame for a player.

Jeremy Ioane, a safety from Punahou High in Honolulu, signed with Boise State on Wednesday. It appeared Ioane, a former high school teammate of Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o, was South Bend-bound after visiting the Fighting Irish this past weekend.

Boise State won't get anywhere near the top of the recruiting team rankings, but here's betting the newest Broncos win a whole bunch of games during their careers.

OK.... so I was reading the paper this morning and I noticed every coach in the country has the best class ever....

Just once I'd like to see... our 2010 recruiting class sucked, we didn't get any of the kids we really wanted, none of the in-state players wanted to play for us, but we did lead the country in no star recruits....

At least there wouldn't be a lot of unreal expectations on your program....

Yes, and the coach that admitted to the crappy recruits would soon be an assistant coach at the Jr. College level.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Yes, and the coach that admitted to the crappy recruits would soon be an assistant coach at the Jr. College level.
    This is a pay me now or pay me later deal.... if you get crappy players you are just stringing out the inevitable.