Thread: shuttling

shuttling

I'm developing some plans for a East to West High Line Trail trip across the High Uintas. Car spotting looks like it would be a pain though due to drivetime distances between trailheads (Chepeta TH to the High Line TH = about 4 hours). Anyone had any good luck hiring someone to shuttle for them? I was thinking some college student might be willing to take some cash and pick me up as I drop a vehicle at the exit TH and drop me at the start TH. We did this years back on a Paria Canyon trip and it worked out nicely, but I forget if how we hooked up with the "shuttleer". I was thinking craigslist or something might land me some help, however, I remember when we hired the Paria shuttle dude how ironic it would be to pay someone a hundred bucks to steal the car. Putting out an add might solicit that sort of douchbaggery.Thoughts?

Also, if you're interested in the trip, I'd love the company. I'm looking at late July/early August and it will be a 5-7 day trip (approx 65 miles).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i'm interested in joining you. though i'd prefer an earlier time, like late june.

I could probably do late June... probably a good deal of snow left on the passes that early. I've never been up there that early, but I'm certianly open to it.

I might be interested in joining you as well.. let me know what dates in the end for sure so I can get it on the calendar :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Doing Army stuff June 5-20 so June might be difficult for me...
    But of course I'm interested in the trip as well.

I'm always down to have someone pay my gas to drive to the Uintas. If I'm in the state this summer I'd be more than happy to shuttle y'all.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx
    I'm always down to have someone pay my gas to drive to the Uintas. If I'm in the state this summer I'd be more than happy to shuttle y'all.
    Good to know. I'm glad to pay your gas and then some. l will let you when we get some firm dates to see if you're available.

Speaking of dates, a 25 June (Friday) departure would probably work for me... or the week following is a holiday weekend and that would save me from burning an additional day of leave. Don, is all of June bad for you or just the 5th-20th? I don't really care when; I'm just looking forward to some good trips this summer. I was so busy in 2009 that I didn't make it out for any long excursions. I was pouring over my Uinta maps last night. It's been a few years since I've been up in there. Hope it works out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Not all of June but that weekend would be the first weekend after annual training for two weeks and I'm sure I'll want to spend the weekend with the Ev. Plus, as much as I'd love to spend my birthday in the Uinta Mountains I assume E would want to do something for his dad's birthday (the 26th).
    If it's a 5-7 day trip maybe we should look at a map and figure out some way I could meet up with you after that weekend...

Are you guys sure you can hike the highline trail that early in the year? We had Scout camp last year at Steiner around the 14th of June and there were pretty serious drifts all over the place. Just wonderin.
    With the way this winter is going you may be able to go the first of May. I was up to Bear River snowmobiling and it is still pretty bleak.

Mark

I attempted to do this on the July 4th one year and it was not possible. The Rocky Sea Pass was a complete cliff of snow and wasn't safe. The next year I went up to Dead Horse Lake the last week of June and that pass was also very dangerous.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Are you guys sure you can hike the highline trail that early in the year?
    You can, but an ice axe is recommended in an "average" year for Deadhorse Pass and sometimes Rocky Sea Pass at that time of year. Other passes aren't so much a problem.

This year is drier than normal so far.

The biggest problem in late June however is mosquitoes. Unless it's a heavy snow year (which means they won't be out yet), late June has thick clouds of mosquitoes.

Good to know. Might push it back to the July/Aug timeframe. We'll see how it shapes up. Right now, we're looking at just under 80% snowpack up there.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsco
    Good to know. Might push it back to the July/Aug timeframe. We'll see how it shapes up. Right now, we're looking at just under 80% snowpack up there.
    I did Kings peak last July 16th and 17th, and the weather was perfect.. 30's at night and 70's in the day. I was told that there was snow still on the pass up until a few days before.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Budget constraints have denied my Army course in July. I'm thinking July or August (Keeping in mind that Dave is playing SLC on the 17th of August) would work better for me than June...

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Budget constraints have denied my Army course in July. I'm thinking July or August (Keeping in mind that Dave is playing SLC on the 17th of August) would work better for me than June...
    I may be out of town a little in July, but there still should be a good week in there for me. I should know more by this weekend and then maybe we can talk specific dates.