Thread: Single strand vs double

Single strand vs double

From what I see in this forum, most of you prefer single strand raps. Even when the rap is short enough to do it double, you talk about using a biner block and going single strand. Why is this? I've been a climber much longer than I've been a noob canyoneer, and I would have never thought about going single strand. Are there benefits to it or is it just a way to distinguish yourself from the climbers who are too permafried from doing bowls at the top to figure out how to rap single strand?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I dunno about the rest of em, but if the rappel is just 1/2 lengeth of my rope then I'll double strand for sure. It's the easiest, yes it's a bit slower descending but it sure beats biner blocking it and using a pull cord.

If the rappel is longer than 1/2, then the obvious choice is to use a pull cord. But even if I'm a tad short from making it a double strand, then I'll look at my options and try lengthening the webbing and making it a retrievable anchor (unless its a bolted rappel). That's just me though...

I apply the KISS principle

Double strand is usually used on short raps or if an extra rope is above.
    Single strand allows you to have and extra rope for emergencies.

Depends on the person and the situation.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Double strand is usually used on short raps or if an extra rope is above.
    Single strand allows you to have and extra rope for emergencies.

Depends on the person and the situation.
    Having extra rope for emergencies is the main reason to go single when you have enough for double. So that's when it depends, as Jaxx says, on the party and the rappel. If I was with a fast competent party, doing easy rappels, I'd be perfectly happy with a double strand. If a new, uncomfortable rappeler was descending, in a tricky spot, then it would be good to have an extra length on top, especially with a larger party, and extra people on top.

Look for some of the discussions here on rescue situations:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19575

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17488

Single strand is important when rappeling into water (especially when hydraulics are involved), as it allows you to set your rope length. Rapping double into flowing water and having excess rope underneath you at entry can turn into a bad situation, real fast. Not really a big concern on the CP, but an issue in many other areas.

For a more CP context, the single strand also allows you to set a contingency anchor. Very helpful when you can't see the bottom of the drop, or there are objective hazards involved. This is sort of an extension from the rescue element noted by others here.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Pros & cons for both SRT & DRT. For me it depends on the situation and multiple factors for each rap (clean pull issues, friction needs, group level, rope diameter, wet or dry rap, class C canyon, etc) on if I use SRT or DRT.

Some situations I like to use SRT: if the pull is iffy, class C, wet disconnects, contingency anchor is needed, rescue haul rope need up top (second rope can accomplish this too).

some other threads this is talked about in

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13482
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8326

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost
    Single strand is important when rappeling into water (especially when hydraulics are involved), as it allows you to set your rope length. Rapping double into flowing water and having excess rope underneath you at entry can turn into a bad situation, real fast. Not really a big concern on the CP, but an issue in many other areas.
    Yes, glad you reminded me of that. That's very true. Don't go into water with excess double strand.

And when you go single strand it's important to always set the rope lengths on top IE. If you have a 40foot waterfall, and your rope is 100feet. You could double, only leaving 10 extra on both ends (risk, variable) or you can set the rope on a single strand at 45feet, and leave the rest of the rope on top attached to your pull cord.

Like as what's said before, every rappel is different. Gotta prepare for the different dynamics.

I really really really don'tlike to rappel double strand. Seems like the ropes are constantly getting twisted, too much friction, just an all around pain in the arss if you ask me. It's so very easy to set up a retrievable releasable figure 8 block (even for a girl-LOL). I also like to have the option of being lowered if needed. Jusst the way I like to do it
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Read this thread and then we can chat:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19594

There is a reason most the accidents and death's involve biner blocks on skinny single ropes