Thread: BYU to Play Texas in 2011

BYU to Play Texas in 2011

Cougars, Longhorns announce 2011 football matchup

PROVO -- In a game featuring two of college football's most successful programs over the past four seasons, BYU and the University of Texas announced Tuesday they will play each other during the 2011 season.

The Cougars and Longhorns will meet at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas, on Sept. 10, 2011. Game time and television plans will be announced at a later date.

"We are very excited to announce this game vs. Texas," said BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe. "It's a great opportunity for BYU to play a program like the Longhorns on a national stage. We anticipate a great matchup between two storied programs that are currently among the most successful in the nation. I'm really excited for our coaches, our players and the rest of Cougar Nation."

The matchup will feature two of only five programs nationally to win 10 or more games each of the past four seasons. BYU is 43-9 over the last four years while Texas has achieved a 45-8 mark over the same span.

Ohio State, Boise State and Virginia Tech are the only other teams with double-digit victories each of the last four seasons.

The 2011 contest will be the third meeting between the two schools and the first since 1988. BYU won the last contest on Sept. 8, 1988, earning a 47-6 home victory in Provo under Hall of Fame coach LaVell Edwards.

The 2011 game marks BYU's first return to Austin since a 22-17 Cougar win in the inaugural meeting on Sept. 12, 1987.

(Courtesy BYU Athletic Department)

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=272&sid=9475906

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is a crappy deal for BYU.... this is NOT a home and home deal.... this is a home and nothing deal for the Cougars. I hate "Home and Nothing" or "2 for 1" deals.... this does nothing but degrade your program and tell everyone you are not a big enough program to deserve a home and home deal.

And yes I know Utah has a home and nothing deal with Notre Dame this year.... and I think that also sucks...

Nebraska just offered Boise State a 2 for 1 and Boise told the Huskers it was home and home or nothing....

The only way to come out alright from these deals is to win big. That is another season a way from now, and it is really impossible to know what type of teams either will have. Go Cougs!

And by the way, I give BYU a lot of credit for trying to schedule strong non-conference games.