Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.10 Canyoneer SAR

Five-Ten has a new shoe out called the "Canyoneer SAR".

Built for professional water rescue teams, this shoe is all about fast-water safety. Composite toe, built-up rands, and a snug, comfortable fit. Based on the #1 canyoneering shoe in the world - everything you need, nothing you don
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Am I the only one who thought of donating a pair to Wayne county search and rescue?

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Am I the only one who thought of donating a pair to Wayne county search and rescue?

OH NO YOU DI-IN'T!!!

Blog Entries
    at least it's not bright bright bright bright pee yellow.....

Damn. I just got the cool-kid shoes. It'll be like Jr high again; I'll still be wearing Bermuda shorts when everyone else has switched to hammer-pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Damn. I just got the cool-kid shoes. It'll be like Jr high again; I'll still be wearing Bermuda shorts when everyone else has switched to hammer-pants.
    hammer pants....
    Life is Good

Anybody know where you can buy these in the Salt Lake Valley? If not and have to buy online how many sizes bigger are most people buying them to fit neoprene etc?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Anybody know where you can buy these in the Salt Lake Valley? If not and have to buy online how many sizes bigger are most people buying them to fit neoprene etc?
    I like it snug - and upgrade to 1/2" bigger for the neoprene.
    But I would believe most people do one size bigger just to give plenty of space.

oh, and that was speaking for the 5.10s not the SAR edition. BUT I'd imagine it fits all the same.

How do these shoes hold up to all the normal wear and tear of canyoneering? For that much money I hope that they would last a long time!
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chungy22
    How do these shoes hold up to all the normal wear and tear of canyoneering? For that much money I hope that they would last a long time!
    Quite well. Hard to say with the SAR version, as it has not been produced yet. But the normal Canyoneer2 is quite durable. I go through 1 to 1-1/2 pairs a year, so I get about 70 canyon days out of a pair.

Tom

I was on the hunt to replace my 510's three weeks ago. 510 had these on back order until the end of the year. I ended up buying the pee yellow 510's at IME.
    Paul French
    pfrench.net

Ok, how about an update on these? Is the only thing that is different on these is the color?

SAR 5-10's road test

I have been wearing these for 4 months now, about out of tread. a few notes- you need to seamseal/shoegoo the toe stitching before wearing as the toe does not have the yellow shoes moulded and recessed stitch line- the stitching is surface and fully exposed. on the other hand, this new toe piece does wrap around all the way to the buckle strap, eliminating one of the most chronic wear spots on the old shoe, the space between the edge of the smaller toe cap, and the buckle strap. (you're welcome)
    the safety toe was to meet some osha requirement, I am advised, but, for me at least, it is a huge problem. It makes the toe larger, higher, and uncompressible, so it does not climb as well as the Canyoneer. But the REAL problem, and it is a real problem, is that the the hard toecap tears the hell out of my toes. Even with thick wool socks. I end up with three bloody toe knuckles on each foot after a day of their rubbing against the hard toe cap. I ended up having to buy some expensive specialty toe protectors "FootSmart Digi Cushions" to avoid having bloody and painful toes from wearing the shoes, even from a single day. With multiple 4,5, and 6 day trips this year, I could not have survived without the toe protectors, which are a nuisance to use, but have saved my feet, and the trips. Maybe its just my feet, and not everyone will have this problem, but trust me, it is not a problem you want. As a matter of fact, I bought two pair of these, from the factory, when they very first came out, and would be willing, happy, to sell the second, brand new pair for a C note to anyone who can wear a size 12 and is interested in giving them a shot.

rick t

I wish I wore size 12 as I would definitely take these off your hands. I'm guessing the plastic toe box will all come down to where you foot flexes. Hopefully, I won't have this issue, but you never know. I will most likely try a pair, but wear them around the house non stop to see if the same thing happens to my toes.

I'm sure that someone will take you up on your C note offer.

SAR

Looking at the picture shane posted above it would appear that the current SAR does have the recessed seams on the toe cap, like the Canyoneer. Apparently mine were early production shoes and the moulded toe cap had not yet entered production. I shoegooed my threads, right out of the box, so this has not been an issue, but its good to see they have updated it.

rick t

Hmmm, I think Michael can best tell his experience himself, but since he is now on a trip, I

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Sounds like the SAR is a shoe to avoid!!!!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Sounds like the SAR is a shoe to avoid!!!!
    That has been the general consensus.

One of the things that makes the Canyoneer work is the softness of it. But the SAR version has a semi-rigid shank that makes it a rock of a shoe. Unfortunately not so stiff as to prevent all bending; the generous, rigid toe box then comes down on the backs of the toes and chews things up.

So it is great to see 5.10 trying new stuff, but...

Might work well if you are not hiking very far.

Tom

5.10 Canyoneer SAR Retailers?

Where can I find these at the price you mention?