Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good short hikes in St George area?

Any good short hikes in St George area?

I'll be in St George and will have some time in the morning for a hike. I've been to Snow Canyon and did some of the basic hikes. Any "off the beaten path" hikes in SC? Anywhere else in the St George area? I have to head back to SLC by around 1pm.
    "I'm the dude, man, so that's what you call me"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Red Cliffs Recreation Site (in Leeds, Utah, I think exit 22 or 23 on I-15). But it costs for $3 or $5 for the day. But its short, and i'm sure there is definitely a nice flow coming down it.
    http://www.utahoutdooractivities.com/redcliffs.html

or you can scramble over the rocks and "little narrows" slot canyon located on top of "dixie rock" at the North part of St. George.
    http://www.sgcity.org/parks/cityparks/details.php?id=95

Or this one idea, it's not a hike per se, but it's a paved-bicycle hiking loop around the virgin river at the south part of town. It's quite long - like 5 miles or so. It runs next to Riverside Drive and goes all the way down to Bloomington and back.

Although you've mentioned that you have been to Snow Canyon, have you explored the lava tubes there?
    If you have Google Earth (or I think Google maps will work with GPS coords too) then explore these:

PERFECT!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that. They all sound great, so out of them all, which one is the best as far as seeing something cool and a decent hike? The Lava tubes look pretty cool.

people hike turtle wall and paradise rim all the time... or you can ditch hiking and grab a bike. but I wouldn't advise riding it until saturday, because of all the rain.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

There is a really cool short hike to some petroglyphs. I forget the name but it actually says "petrogylphs walk" or somethign like that. Just take sunset all the way out past santa clara and just before you hit Ivans you'll see this petroglyph sign with with 3 huge boulders stacked on top of each other like 10 feet high making this huge gate. turn there. It's covered head to toe with ancient indian drawings. Not sure why I wasn't smiling in this pic. i swear I was happy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

7. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    ^ Anasazi is the name of the trail if I'm not mistaken

I've always enjoyed the hike to the rim-top of Red Mountain at the north end of 100 East in Ivins. It's a steep hike and fairly well beaten. Once on top, the views are pretty cool! The hike is about 8 tenths of a mile up and same down with just about 1500 feet of elevation gain and then loss. You will see Az. Strip to the south, towards the Nv. border to the west, Pine Valley Mountain to the north and Zion NP to the east. Just park at the chained gate on the dike at the base of Red Mountain and follow the trail onto the ridge.

Blog Entries

Re: PERFECT!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post that. They all sound great, so out of them all, which one is the best as far as seeing something cool and a decent hike? The Lava tubes look pretty cool.
    If it was me, I more of a exploring type of guy, not just a stroller. Meaning I rather have a interesting place to explore, like a cliff side or something, rather than a long walk("hike") in the desert. I like hiking in the desert, but it has it's time and place.

Anyways, So i would recommend Red Cliffs (if you want lots of places to explore, but you can reach the crux of the canyon (the large swimhole area) in less than 30min and still leave hours to explore the side canyons and around, etc.

The Lava tubes are fun! and one of the GPS coords I gave is longer than you think. Most people think its just a room, but it has lots of turns and smaller rooms. Obviously a flashflight is required, and I'm sure its wet and cold down there too - just warning ya.

Also, if you want a short but very strenuous hike and free, then about 1 or 2 miles north east of Snow Canyon turnoff (following that main road) you can park next to the extinct cinder cone. It's a beast to climb but pretty fun. Also, in the same area but a little to the west of the cinder cone has a few more lava tubes and a "lava arch" too. That can definitely keep you busy for 3-4 hours.

Blog Entries
    Another place that I just thought of is Gunlock St. Park. If the reservoir is overfilling, it's awesome and it's definitely not something that happens every year. Only when it snows heavily and rains heavily in Southern Utah. I saw it a lot during 2006 and it was great! Ever since that it never breached again. Although, this year (2010) might be it again, due to all the snow and water received in the area.

Update:
    I just read the recent water levels, and its about 30feet below full (apparently they drained back in 2008 due to repairs) BUT like I said above, when the snow quickly melts around March time...be sure to keep your eye on this one.

Anyways, Here's some pics I stole that show it off better than my weak camera back then:

(btw: there are 2 major falls there that over over 60feet...just to give it some perspective)

I'm keeping my eyes opened on the current water level and once it reaches the brim again, I'll be back down and bring my Rebel camera. This place is worth the drive alone.

Thank you everyone

Loved the suggestions. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but it will definitely be something you all suggested. I've got a day of work today, then going to head out early tomorrow morning for some exploring.

dude

WOW! I would love to see those waterfalls.

Oh! If you are in the Gunlock State park area? Walk over the hills for about one mile, due west, from the waterfalls and redrock spillway and look for a tall hoodoo. Walk down into the wash and turn left, down stream in this amazing little slot canyon. At the end? you will be below the spillway and on a dirt road that will either take you to the hard road, or back uphill to the spillway. A great little red slot canyon. Bonus? Petroglyphs on some of the individual black lava rocks at the end of the slot. Just get out of the wash and look at the large lava rocks and you'll see some petroglyphs.

I can meet some folks if they want to take a short Saturday jaunt?
    It'd be fun! Great easy walk with a taste of a slot canyon. Fun, easy.

Another hike? I'll post it tomorrow. A walk along the rim of the
    Virgin River gorge looking 1500 ft down at I-15.

cheers!
    jerry
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Very cool photos jman. I would like to check that out too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule
    Oh! If you are in the Gunlock State park area? Walk over the hills for about one mile, due west, from the waterfalls and redrock spillway and look for a tall hoodoo. Walk down into the wash and turn left, down stream in this amazing little slot canyon. At the end? you will be below the spillway and on a dirt road that will either take you to the hard road, or back uphill to the spillway. A great little red slot canyon. Bonus? Petroglyphs on some of the individual black lava rocks at the end of the slot. Just get out of the wash and look at the large lava rocks and you'll see some petroglyphs.

I can meet some folks if they want to take a short Saturday jaunt?
    It'd be fun! Great easy walk with a taste of a slot canyon. Fun, easy.

Another hike? I'll post it tomorrow. A walk along the rim of the
    Virgin River gorge looking 1500 ft down at I-15.

cheers!
    jerry
    Jerry,
    and to think that I was the one that "discovered" that small slot...haha. I've been back there many times when I was a student at Dixie. Had lots of time to explore and the weekends. When the the spillway was flowing it was my FAVORITE spot in St. George to go. Although, I have never seen the petroglyphs you mentioned. Cool!

Where does the Gorge hike start?

Hi, jman! there are several hikes in the Gorge. I like the one I posted on today. But, there are others. Shivwits arch, Seahorse arch, Migrant's Cove, Mt. Bangs, Figure 4 canyon. Once you follow any of the dirt roads out of Bloomington, heading southwest and up into the hill country, you can get out anywhere there is a cliffband and start a long day hike either direction and return back to watch the sun set over the gorge. the other side is accessed by the gypsum mine and black rock mtn in the Paiute wilderness area. road closed in winter, over 7,000 ft. So, some exploration is well worth it. Lots of dead ends, bruised kidleys, and then....bingo!
    Like the road out of the old mine on hwy 91. Take the road over and into the valley heading down to the western valley. Too sad about the burnt out areas. Including the joshuas all toasted in the joshua tree preserve area.
    all that remains is the plaque dedicating it. too sad.... but, back up the valley and see the huge anticline. then, turn at a small side road and from Bulldog pass, on you map, there is a rough side road that goes all the way down the wash a true jeep trail!! then, you set right over the gorge in a very remote setting at a huge pouroff!

So, go for it! Just watch the weather, take lots of supplies, etc etc...
    have fun!!
    The Killers

Wow jman, those are some great waterfall photos. Does anyone have a GPS route for this area?

Another fine spot is located on the dirt road between Dammeron valley and Gunlock; Cowboy pottie or Camelback. A slickrock bowl where, if you hike up to the area between the camel humps, you will come to the famous cowboy pottie, a huge deep swirled sinkhole in the slickrock where eons of visitors have etched their names into the rock. I usually don't like that sort of thing. but, this actually looks quite artie.....

Drive into Dammeron Valley from St. George and just before you come to the huge cinder cone (Veyo Volcano) turn left off the highway onto a dirt road. Travel 4.8 miles, following a pipeline, and you will come to an electric station building at the bottom of the hillside. Cross the little creek that the pipeline has created and turn immediately to the left, toward the only redrock candy corn looking formation in the immediate distance across the
    deep, basalt wash. Travel only a hundred yards to the end of the road and the sign with the trailhead. Travel a couple hundred ft down the steep basalt on a trail into and crossing the wash, toward the slickrock. Keep heading
    up and you will eventually come to a huge bowl with two camel looking humps to your right. Some call this the gunsight because if you scramble up between them, you will line up exactly with a set of chimney rocks a mile or more away to the east.
    Great place! In fact, I've seen the local spa wagons with their boot campers there.....hehe
    "nice hike" says I.....
    "HIKE???" says the spa leader? the Von Trapp children don't HIKE....
    they.......MARCH !!" hee hee
    The Killers

Nice thread. I was also just searching for some ideas for this area.:)

We just did that last hike that Jerry mentioned but did not go up to the "humps" as we were short on time. A beautiful area, the cross bedding is terrific and would be amazing during a Monsoon storm! There a was spa van at the TH. saw the marchers on the rim of the bowl. Thanks for the Beta.

I think Kokopelli learned this from Bo.:

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

22. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    While in Gunlock, search for meteorites with a magnet on a stick ;)

http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/...meteorites.htm

Jessica