Thread: Is there any rappelling up Hobble Creek Canyon

Is there any rappelling up Hobble Creek Canyon

I have been asked to take some scouts rapping this summer. They are camping at a new scout camp up near the top of Hobble Creek canyon. I know Rock canyon pretty well but I havent done much in the Hobble area. I was wondering if the Mapleton boys knew of some good spots or anyone who knows anything about that area. Thanks
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not sure about Hobble Creek but it's not that much further to Diamond Fork canyon and there's some cool stuff, even some red rock, up there. Plenty of stuff to climb and rap.
    Hobble Creek will connect to Diamond Fork, dirt road but it's always been nice in summer; took my old Geo Prizm over that road plenty of times.

Re: Is there any rappelling up Hobble Creek Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    I have been asked to take some scouts rapping this summer. They are camping at a new scout camp up near the top of Hobble Creek canyon. I know Rock canyon pretty well but I havent done much in the Hobble area. I was wondering if the Mapleton boys knew of some good spots or anyone who knows anything about that area. Thanks
    Mapleton Boy here. Skip Hobble Creek and go up Spanish Fork Canyon to the Diamond Fork turn off. Go past the campground a mile or two and on the left side of the road is a parking area and rest room. There are 3 or 4 really good places to rap there. I know there are some good new bolts too. I have taken many, many a boy and girl there to teach them how to rap. there are varying sizes of raps too.

I have gone up Hobble Creek on both forks many times and I must admit, not a lot up there with decent access or decent rock to rap from.

As for the new scout camp, I am not familiar with that. I better get in the truck this spring and check that out and I would be happy to suggest possible locations but my memory is that there aren't a lot of decent places in Hobble Creek. Which fork is the Scout Camp on, left or right?
    Life is Good

I have a similar questions; I'm looking for any rappeling sites in or near Utah county that I can take scouts to for practice, starting ASAP. The problem I have is that all the sites I know will be snow covered for the next 3-4 months. We need to start now in order to be ready for summer camp.

Quote Originally Posted by chillman
    I have a similar questions; I'm looking for any rappeling sites in or near Utah county that I can take scouts to for practice, starting ASAP. The problem I have is that all the sites I know will be snow covered for the next 3-4 months. We need to start now in order to be ready for summer camp.
    Maybe see if you can get permission from a School building to head up the roof and rappel down the side of the Gymnasium outside wall ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Maybe see if you can get permission from a School building to head up the roof and rappel down the side of the Gymnasium outside wall ?
    Life is Good

Go to a climbing gym. Hansen High Adventure has rap platforms and is, I believe, less expensive than the Quarry. That would be my first suggestion. When I was doing this with young men, we started in the church gym and did it off the stage. Then we hooked into the basket (can't say I would recommend that again. Forgiveness not permission was granted... ), then we went to climbing gyms, finally, when the snow cleared, we went to Sp. Fork canyon. By the way, the red rocks at Diamond Fork are south facing so the snow is off that spot pretty quickly in the spring. Good luck.
    Life is Good

hey.. that was serious. I've done that a few times. It's free.

I have also rapped in the school but liability wise they wouldn't let you. I am not sure what fork it is up.. but i assume the left.. I will hopefully get some more info as we get closer to summer. Thanks about the Diamond Fork info I think we will head up there.
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

I know this is a bit late but there's a place called the drone wall up right fork a ways. It's a popular rock climbing place but you could probably rig it for rappelling too. I don't remember how to get there off the top of my head but I could look it up if anyone is interested.

AF canyon and Rock Canyon come to mind for sites within Utah County. If you go up AF and turn left toward Tibble Fork, there is a nice cliff at Echo picnic area that is easy to hike to the top. Just be aware that this is a REAL cliff. It is about 60-70 feet and becomes completely free-hanging. It is a great place to practice, but if it was me, I would get them started on something a lot smaller first. We have had to catch people on bottom belay here.