Thread: Farmington Bay Shootout - 2010

Farmington Bay Shootout - 2010

So, I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I will likely be out of town for the next few weekends, so my chances of seeing the farmington bay eagle show will be small this year.

That said, I'd be interested in heading out sometime this week to check out the action. But even if I don't attend, this can serve as a reminder to everyone else to get out there and see them. Usually, the best action is the first week or two in February, though it sounds like a few are already out there.

I prefer the afternoon light out there, and would be interested in heading out Friday afternoon, if anyone is interested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I went out to Farmington Bay yesterday afternoon. Roughly 20-30 eagles out on the ice on the large impoundment east of the road. Quite a bit of open water. Since I was there mid day it is hard to tell if there was much action in the morning or evening. Quite a few people cruising the dikes considering it was a weekday afternoon. No sign of feeding so I suspect that carp poisoning has not begun. I had the impression that hunting season is still open, but I'll try to check later to see.
    RP

thanks for the update. i'm heading up today. apparently the poisoning happens this week. but, this is the only day i can go, so...

sounds like it's still too early. lots of open water doesn't bode well though either. usually best when there is limited amount of it to concentrate the eagles.

I had some time to kill today so I checked it out from about an hour around noon. I saw 1 eagle, lots of hawks, lots of water and lots of people.

Quote Originally Posted by apcronnelly
    I had some time to kill today so I checked it out from about an hour around noon. I saw 1 eagle, lots of hawks, lots of water and lots of people.
    i never made it up this weekend as i was selling my car. sounds disappointing thus far.

hopefully it will pick up when the fish show up.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Quote Originally Posted by apcronnelly
    i never made it up this weekend as i was selling my car. sounds disappointing thus far.

hopefully it will pick up when the fish show up.

Your selling your car? Does it come with a disclaimer about being your rolling house for a few years? Isn't that like the moab farabee's jeep rentals going to the auction in Denver as clean low mileage units?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Your selling your car? Does it come with a disclaimer about being your rolling house for a few years? Isn't that like the moab farabee's jeep rentals going to the auction in Denver as clean low mileage units?

Mark
    hahaha. come on man, gimme some credit. it had 210k miles on it, and i'm an upfront kinda guy. it was priced accordingly...

you are gonna laugh the next time you see me roll up to party in a honda civic however. the days of the ghetto-bago are over....

but gas mileage is sweet!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I went on Saturday when I had to bow out of the canyoneering workshop because I was sick. Not a lot of people. Saw a lot of active Hawks. Saw 5 bald eagles (2 on the ice 3 on a branch together) that never moved. Also saw one golden eagle (or juvenile bald couldn

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark

Mark
    hahaha. come on man, gimme some credit. it had 210k miles on it, and i'm an upfront kinda guy. it was priced accordingly...

you are gonna laugh the next time you see me roll up to party in a honda civic however. the days of the ghetto-bago are over....

but gas mileage is sweet!
    Bet you can get a screamin deal on a corolla, gas mileage may not be to great when the PEDAL is stuck to the floor. But You won't need cruise control.
    Sorry I hijacked the thread.
    Mark

Farmington Bay

I was at Farmington Bay last night. Fewer eagles visible than my last visit. Hundreds of pounds of carp had been dumped and spread over the ice at the SW corner of the big impoundment east of the main north-south road. No sign of eagles around them though.
    RP

Was out there today from 2pm to 4pm. Not much action at all. Most eagles - I counted about 10 - were 100 to 200 yards out, on the edge of the sporadic ice west of and between the two bridges. The ice was more prevalent further south, with the HUGE amount of dead carp dumped on the ice at the southeast corner of Unit 1 (as previously reported by RP). LOTS of seagulls. NO eagles. A few harriers making the rounds on the east side of the dike road. Maybe try in the mornings...
    Scott Mikkelsen

Photohound, FWIW I was out at Farmington at Sunrise on Sunday and the eagles were no better than you described. I came back later in the morning but there was no change. That doesn't mean it won't be great at another time. I am hoping to head there tonight or tomorrow night and possibly Friday morning depending on what I find. I figure Saturday will be a total zoo!
    RP

I went to Farmington Bay yesterday afternoon and actually had good light. Unfortunately, nothing to shoot. About a half a dozen eagles so far out that binoculars were necessary to see that they were eagles. Lots of gulls on the carp which do look fed upon. Not real encouraging for this year.
    RP

Anybody go to Eagle Day?
    Scott Mikkelsen

I went Sunday. Some eagles were on the carp but the light was poor and the eagles were generally not real close-better than in the recent weeks but nothing compared to last year. I planned to go this morning but it sounded like Farmington would be fogged in so I didn't try. I'm hoping it will pick up in the next several weeks but the warm weather may make it a lost year for eagle photography.