Thread: Escalante - Canyon/Packraft/IK Spring '10

Escalante - Canyon/Packraft/IK Spring '10

The escalante is shaping up to run pretty good this spring, based on very early snow data at the widstoe snotel location. I've been dreaming of a float/canyon trip down there.

So this is my call for any and all who want to try and make it happen... I'm thinking late May, maybe June, depending on what happens with the melting.

Anyone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You know I will be there if it flows and I am not on a permitted river.

alex, you got mail...

p.s. how much does your canoe weigh? can we haul that thing up crack in the wall? or would you want a boat shuttle on the lake?

It's pretty heavy to backpack it. I could carry the boat alone, but not all the rest of the camping crap with it.

It's 62 lbs.

I'd probably shoot for the boat shuttle. Since all the crap is washed off from Lake Powell receding it might be pretty cool to go to the lake. Plus I read there is some more whitewater close to the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    It's pretty heavy to backpack it. I could carry the boat alone, but not all the rest of the camping crap with it.

It's 62 lbs.

I'd probably shoot for the boat shuttle. Since all the crap is washed off from Lake Powell receding it might be pretty cool to go to the lake. Plus I read there is some more whitewater close to the lake?
    If it flows REALLY high, it'd be fun. I think in most conditions it's a huge ass-dragger. The river cuts a huge delta for a couple miles to the lake that tends to be shallow and braided, from what I understand.

62 pounds is, um, a lot of weight to get out of there. If you went that way, you'd almost certainly have to get a boat shuttle.

Well, plan as you see fit, if it works for me, I will join ya. If not, there are other rivers to flow.

The river cuts a huge delta for a couple miles to the lake that tends to be shallow and braided, from what I understand.
    There used be be a big log jam as well that was "nearly impossible" to get through. Do you know of the log jam is still there?

Like Dan, i have explored the options of doing a slot/float rip down the escalante. Never has happened due to flow levels. Even on a good year there is a lot of portaging. From the research I have done, a solid canoe would be a nightmare. Inflatable kayaks are the only feasible way to do it from what I understand. That gives you the option of packing them out Coyote Gulch or having a boat pick you up. I would opt for the boat. Anyhow I would definitely be down for a trip if the snowpack cooperates

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    The river cuts a huge delta for a couple miles to the lake that tends to be shallow and braided, from what I understand.
    There used be be a big log jam as well that was "nearly impossible" to get through. Do you know of the log jam is still there?
    I actually don't know anyone who's made it out to the lake in the last few years, so i'm not sure. I have no intentions of going out the lake, personally. I'd rather go up crack in the wall. Or better yet, take packrafts and just backpack up and out coyote gulch to chimney rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Like Dan, i have explored the options of doing a slot/float rip down the escalante. Never has happened due to flow levels. Even on a good year there is a lot of portaging. From the research I have done, a solid canoe would be a nightmare. Inflatable kayaks are the only feasible way to do it from what I understand. That gives you the option of packing them out Coyote Gulch or having a boat pick you up. I would opt for the boat. Anyhow I would definitely be down for a trip if the snowpack cooperates
    That's because you're soft reedus.

I know people who have done it each of the last 4 years. But, canoe's are never a good option. Duckies and packrafts baby. That's the way to do it. I'm taking a packraft. 4.5 pounds of pure escalante goodness. I know others who have done it in a hardshell kayak too. Whatever option you use, you gotta be willing to portage it at least a few times, unless flows are over 200cfs, which rarely happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    That's because you're soft reedus.

I know people who have done it each of the last 4 years. But, canoe's are never a good option. Duckies and packrafts baby. That's the way to do it. I'm taking a packraft. 4.5 pounds of pure escalante goodness. I know others who have done it in a hardshell kayak too. Whatever option you use, you gotta be willing to portage it at least a few times, unless flows are over 200cfs, which rarely happens.
    Having personally climbed HITR, that would completely wipe any smile off your face from the trip down if you had to drag a hard shell up that. Of course that is coming from someone who thinks going through the Black Hole in January is just nucking futs. Maybe that puts me in the soft category. Anyhow, still would be down with putting a trip like this on the back burner and see what happens with the snow melt.

Having personally climbed HITR, that would completely wipe any smile off your face from the trip down if you had to drag a hard shell up that. Of course that is coming from someone who thinks going through the Black Hole in January is just nucking futs. Maybe that puts me in the soft category. Anyhow, still would be down with putting a trip like this on the back burner and see what happens with the snow melt.
    not hole in the rock. crack in the wall. two very different places. but like i said, almost everyone goes back up crack in the wall. it's almost impossible to get out the lake, except in unusual circumstances, or unless you want to thrash through the delta and logjams.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    not hole in the rock. crack in the wall. two very different places. but like i said, almost everyone goes back up crack in the wall. it's almost impossible to get out the lake, except in unusual circumstances, or unless you want to thrash through the delta and logjams.
    Ya, never been up the crack in the wall. Hiked Coyote Gulch, and that would suck too with canyoneering gear and a duckie. Looks doable with a car spot at the top of crack in the wall. Wonder how far the waters of Powell back up at the current elevation. having taken a boat up the Escalante River arm in low water conditions, you hit river about explorer canyon. Not sure where you would be with the river up. I was just thinking it would be cool to hit the escalante canyons with duckies, roll down to Powell, have someone there with a boat and hit a bunch of other canyons that are off the radar. Would make for one epic trip.

I'm still interested in the Escalante trip. Think it will be flowing in early May or will it have to be late May? I have access to a two man IK, although its going to be heavy to pack out Crack in the Wall. What's the estimated distance for that hike?

Which packraft do you have again? How much have you used it? What are your thoughts on durability?

it's flowing right now...

i'm planning on late april. it's going to run for awhile i think. it hit 50 cfs yesterday.

How many days do you think it's going to take Dan? I am still interested if it's not much time off work. I'd be down on buying a light IK or a packraft for that. Need one for my kid anyways.

it's roughly 65 river miles from the bridge to the crack in the wall. so, 5 or 6 days, 4 if you really hurried.

CarpeyBiggs,
    I've got access to an IK and have semi-flexible time.
    Where's the sign-up sheet?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    bump to pwn