Thread: Static or Dynamic

Static or Dynamic

Just like the title suggest, which type of rope if preferred for Canyoneering? I know when I cave I prefer to use a static rope because it is easier to climb with ascenders than Dynamic rope. I haven't seen anything on the subject here so I am assuming it doesn't really matter. Does one type of rope pull easier than the other or snag less. Is there a generally accepted preference?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hi Vader
    Canyoneers are very fond of Static(low stretch) ropes. Canyons are a harsh environment. A high % of our anchor set ups take our ropes over abrasive sandstone. The less stretch a rope has, reduces the abrasion on both our ropes as well as the usually soft sandstone. A dynamic rope can of course be used, just don't expect to see any form of long life out of it.
    Also, when a rope gets wet, they have a tendancy to be "bouncy". This can be mitigated somewhat through friction settings on your device, but if ropes are wet and you are on a longish rappel, smoothness is close to impossible.
    Once again, this is somewhat evident even on ropes with a small % of elongation, very evident on ropes with a higher %.
    I personally like ropes with less than 2% elongation, once they get upwards of 4-6%, they get quite bouncy.(these %'s are based off a 300lb load).
    Kurt

static.