Thread: Help picking a bike

Help picking a bike

Hey guys,

I would like to get into more biking this year and my fully rigid 20 yr old mtb is a little too hard on my old bones. So I am looking for a full suspension all-mountain bike.

Most of my riding will be up AF canyon and maybe places like Mueller park or the new park in Eagle Mountain. We will also take a few trips to Moab every year. I rode the slick rock practice trail for the first time last year and I really liked it.

To save some money, I am probably going to by used. Here are a few that I am looking at on KSL.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&cat=191&lpid=

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&cat=191&lpid=

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...cat=191&lpid=1

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...cat=191&lpid=1

I would appreciate any advice. Are these the right types of bikes for the riding I am planning? Any input on any of these brands of bikes or the components? Should I get platform petals or clipless?

Thanks for your help, maybe I can join some of the group rides this year.

>> Corey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a friend that has the same specialized bike. He rides almost everything in Moab. I have seen him even take it off drops. I think that it is the best choice from the bikes listed. As for pedals, I think that their is an entire thread discussing the pros and cons of plat forms verses clips somewhere in this forum. I prefer platforms. With that being said, It took me several attempts to get the right pedal and shoe combination for them work for me. With clips your foot stays locked to the pedal. I couldn't seem to release my foot quick enough to prevent disasters. I do like them for my road bike.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    First thing I noticed about the four bikes is frame size. You have one large, two med, and one that doesn't say. You need to find out what frame size you should buy. It does make a difference to be on the right size bike.

I am partial to the Stumpjumper I have the women's specific Stumpjumper and I love it.

I ride with platforms because I can not release my foot fast enough from the clipless. It gives me more confidence to try stuff I wouldn't if I know I can get my foot down with out resistance. I would like to someday go back to clipless because it is more efficient but until I can ride the Ogden BST the entire way, both directions, with out putting my foot down I won't do it. But I am a natural clutz so....
    Chere'

I would recommend going down to your local bike shop and have them help you figure out what size of bike you need. Just let them know you're in the market for a bike and take some time to see what they have and what kind of deals they can make you. At least give them a chance so they're not mad at you when you do bring in your used bike from KSL and need them to work on it (which is a likely scenario).
    I also ride a Stumpjumper which has held up really well. I put on a ton of miles. I ride AF Canyon 3-4 times a week during the summer/fall and it has never failed me.
    A good place to practice your riding skills, if you've been off the bike that long, is Lambert Park in Alpine. It becomes ride able in the early spring before the canyon opens up.
    Now is a good time to buy a used bike. If you wait 2 more months they will be in higher demand and you most likely won't find as good a deal.
    Enjoy!
    Are we there yet?

Of those I would consider the GT or the Specialized. I, too, had a Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail) and loved it. The most important thing in buying a bike is to make sure it FITS right. As Chere' pointed out, these are different sizes and that can make a huge difference in how the bike handles for you. Sometimes you can make an inexpensive adjustment - like a different stem or seat post and the bike will feel great, but not always the case.

I will not ride on platform pedals - opposite of Chere' I feel totally out of control on platforms... I feel very unstable - and I have never had an issue getting out of them, even when unplanned! You can adjust the pedals for easier unclipping.

Good luck!
    Karen
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

i started on a treck, went to fisher had two fishers, this time i went with a specilized, only i went with the enduro...love it like no other bike i hve ever owned. it is a little heaver, 27lbs if i remember right so does not climb as well as the stump jumper but man what a ride. the shocks are unreal, let my son in law take it on one of our rides, told me it was like riding a cadilaic---he is riding a trek.
    as for platforms or clipless..i am a clipless man, have tired both, but feel like i have so much more control of my bike with them cliped on..but it is all a personal choice..my oldest boy will only ride with platforms and swears it has not effect on his climbing..i call bs..but he swears by them.
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

bike

I also have a Specialized Enduro SL it is an awesome bike.
    My wife has a women specific Stumpy and has been happy with it.

If You are between 5'10 to 6'1 the size large stumpy should fit you and would be a good choice.

Like Tallsteve said it is a good idea to get fitted at a local bike shop but if you are around 5'10 or UNDER most people that height like mediums.

I love clipless pedals, they have helped me fall into the buckbrush and rocks a few times but for the most part they help me control my bike up and down hill. I could not ride without them now.
    If you do go clipless ride in a grassy park a few times and clip in and out before you head up the trail.
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

Got on this one a bit late but these are all good suggestions, one of the best being go to several bikeshops and ride the bike brands you are looking for on the KSL listings. The FIT MAKES THE RIDE. You will find that several brands seem to fit you and fell better after you've gone for a ride on them. Likewise, you'll find that ones that 'look good' might not feel good after a ride. GO TEST RIDE! You wont be sorry for your investment in TIME to do this. Having said that I really like Rocky Mountain, Kona, Gary Fisher, YETI, Santa Cruz.....Salsa, Surly, GT.....

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I had been shying away from going to a LBS as I intend to buy used, and did not want to waste their time. However, they may have reasonably priced used one, so maybe I will go and have a look.

Thanks again.

>> Corey

If you are looking at buying from your local bike shop, the best time to get a good deal on a rental bike or a new bike is in August or a little later as the next new year models begin to arrive.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey
    Everyone, thanks for the advice. I had been shying away from going to a LBS as I intend to buy used, and did not want to waste their time. However, they may have reasonably priced used one, so maybe I will go and have a look.

Thanks again.

>> Corey
    You are not wasting their time. You may not buy a bike from them but you are learning which bike shop you will return to for repairs, parts and advice. After my shopping adventrue, out of the three LBS near my house I will not go to one, they are too snooty. They wouldn't even let me test ride their bikes out of their parking lot. I have always been partial to Bingham as I bought my very first bike at 13 from them. But found I really like the third shop, the owner took the time to really explain all of the bikes he carried and price ranges. He was great! I didn't buy my bike from him because in the end he still couldn't give me what I wanted and until my warranty runs out I will continue to take my bike to Bingham but when it runs out guess who is getting my business locally. But my favorite bike shop and I have never been there is in Green River, WY! Same with my favorite bike guy for advice.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey

Thanks again.

>> Corey
    You are not wasting their time. You may not buy a bike from them but you are learning which bike shop you will return to for repairs, parts and advice. After my shopping adventrue, out of the three LBS near my house I will not go to one, they are too snooty. They wouldn't even let me test ride their bikes out of their parking lot. I have always been partial to Bingham as I bought my very first bike at 13 from them. But found I really like the third shop, the owner took the time to really explain all of the bikes he carried and price ranges. He was great! I didn't buy my bike from him because in the end he still couldn't give me what I wanted and until my warranty runs out I will continue to take my bike to Bingham but when it runs out guess who is getting my business locally. But my favorite bike shop and I have never been there is in Green River, WY! Same with my favorite bike guy for advice.
    awe...thanks Chere'!