Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain Bike Comparisons - help

Ooooh...Kona. What size do you need? This a medium with a fox lockout and Hayes brakes.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&lpid=&search=

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Ooooh...Kona. What size do you need? This a medium with a fox lockout and Hayes brakes.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&lpid=&search=
    That looks good. I'm a little uncertain not being able to see it or a way to get it. I'm also not familiar with Kona. I think one of the biggest problems I'm having is not knowing how all these bikes rank. Like I hear good things about Diamondback but then the guy at the bike shop told me they were crap. Who knows. I've been comparing I did find this Jamis http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t+Bike+08.aspx. Looks reasonable with the clipless pedals already installed. But i cant tell if the front and rear shocks lock out.

So I've been reading on the MTBR forums and got turned onto BikeDirect. This bike is a 29'r http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm is pretty sick and seems to have much better components than what I've been looking at.

This bike http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ff29pro_xi.htm is a Windsor but looks to pretty much have what I'm looking for.

Anyone know anything about these MotoBecane Bikes? Thoughts?

This is such a PIA!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

They're good values but bikesdirect bikes will require some assembly and a good tune-up including some wheel truing and tensioning. Unless you're good friends with a good wrench, you'll have to take it to a shop at some point. Most shops will treat it like any other bike but a few will hold it against you for buying online.

Diamondback isn't crap any more than any other manufacturer with lower end bikes in its lineup.

BTW, I wasn't particularly impressed with the Gary Fisher Sugar I rode. Too flexy for my tastes. I like my bikes rigid and stiff.

Something tells me one of two things is going to happen: one of these bikes will eventually start talking to you and make you buy it or you're going to end up with a deadline involving friends and a local trail and you're just gonna have to pick one and not look back.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I have a full-suspension bike that I love for trail riding. However, I also have a hardtail 29er that I primarily use for commuting. I have two sets of tires for it. Knobbies for trail riding and then 32mm road tires for commuting. Basically two bikes in one. With the road tires, it is comfortable and fast to commute, and with the knobbies it is great for mountain biking. My fork does not have a lockout, and I don't really feel like I need it to commute. It's just not that big of a deal (I also have a 10 mile round trip commute).

I disagree somewhat with what some of the detractors have stated. I notice that the 29er is slower to accelerate, but is a faster climber overall than any other bike I have ridden. Although the bikes to feel different than a comparable 26er, one you get used to the nuances, You can still make it around the same switchbacks and other technical features. The one thing I don't like about it is the fact that it is harder to bunny hop and loft the front wheel than on a bike with 26" wheels.

For your purpose, I would definitely recommend a hardtail 29er. Set it up mainly as a commuter with skinny road tires. Then, throw the stock knobbies on it for mountain biking adventures. Two bikes in one! You have no need to worry about the availability of tires, tubes, and forks. 29ers are definitely here to stay and they are growing in popularity.

Wow, reading this thread could give a guy analysis paralysis--so many choices. I've worn out several hard tails and full suspension mountain bikes over the decades (and several road bikes too).

I approach buying a bike like this--get the best components you can for your money. A frame is a frame, all the hype about geometry and composites is marketing hype unless your a competitive rider. I've never been on a ride and had someone bitch about their frame, be it hard tail or full suspension, but they do bitch about the shifters/brake drag/etc.

Myself, I prefer full suspension and disc brakes anymore. Unless you can drop $1,500 or more you'll be compromising the components by going with a full suspension bike so I suggest a hard tail.

You been hiding under a rock or something? Only a few tire choices and forks for a 29'r we are not talking about the year 2000 any more.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    A 29er bike is what I believe to be a marketing ploy. They have been slow to catch on. You are limited and probably will be limited to few choices for tires, tubes, and forks. I think that it is just a fad like the single speeds. If I were commuting on the road, I would buy a road bike. Any bike from giant or specialized in the standard 26 inch tire. is what I would recommend for mountain bikes. If you are 5'11" or taller you would be more comfortable on a large bike 18, 20, or 21 inch especially if it is mostly being used for road pedaling.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    You been hiding under a rock or something? Only a few tire choices and forks for a 29'r we are not talking about the year 2000 any more.
    Hiding under a rock, far from it. I have been riding mountaincycle and its products since the early 90's. Some people even say that Robert Reissinger invented mountain bikes. He introduced the first fork and pro stop disk brakes for bicycles. It took years for others to catch on. I have been dedicated to mostly downhill type bikes the past 15 years $5000.00 and up. I can speak from past experience with buying unique and exotic bikes and components. The first 29" bike that I can recall was in the early 90's and was a Bianchi. Some people probably think that this 29" bike is the latest and greatests because of the marketing that started around 2006. Your brand choices are still limited the same goes for replacement parts. I have had numerous headaches and expense because of choosing to have something unique. You can not just go into any bike shop and purchase a 29" front fork. If you taco a wheel in Fruita, co. You better hope that you have a spare wheel with you. I still have a bike with a 26" front and a 24" rear rim by my choice. Not every bike shop can lace a 24" wheel. In fact I only know of one shop than can do this in Salt Lake county. That reminds me of how the bigger wheels are more vulnerable to getting out of true. These bigger rims, tires, tubes, longer chain, and longer spokes also mean additional weight and rolling restistance weight or mass. Of course I don't worry too much about weight, but to some it matters. The great thing about bikes is that if you buy one you will probably want more bikes and this means variety. Perfect example is Greyhairs collection.

I've heard good things about Motobecane / BikesDirect. Two guys I know raced them and had no big complaints.

I think you'd be happy with any of the bikes you've been looking at. I think hardtail makes more sense for you - more bike for your $, full suspension a waste riding on roads, works fine for non-epic trail rides. But if you find a killer deal on a full suspension that would work.

Pretty much all the decent bikes these days ride good. I don't think you can go too wrong. And getting back into mountain biking I don't think you'll notice the nuances a seasoned (and picky) rider will. So just get the best bike you can stand to shell out the money for and start riding. As you ride you'll figure out what kind of riding you most enjoy, and if you find you like MTB your next bike can be a step up and a better fit for the riding you prefer. Don't get too focused on getting the perfect bike now, because frankly you don't know what that is yet.

Get a bike and start riding.

Hall..f'ing...elujah. Found one, or should I say I finally made a decision. After visiting about 6 shops here in town, looking at over 8 craigslist bikes, and countless hours on the internet, I finally found one. You want to know what made the decision, THE SHOP. I went to All Mountain Cyclery in Boulder and I felt joey (yep, we're on a first name basis) was completely genuine and there to help. I told him I wanted to look at the Felts, Diamondbacks and Specialized. I rode them all. He talked candidly with me about the internet deals and the pluses and minuses of each brand.

So in the end I decided I was too new to mtn biking and that I didn't want to deal with an internet company. So I scratched the Motobecanes off the list. So in the end it came down to the Felt, Diamondback, and Specialized. They all had a similiar range of components at the $700 range. Here is where the guy was super helpful. After riding the Felt it didn't feel 'RIGHT' but the Specialized did. So I ordered a new white and brown Hardrock Sport Disk 29. //www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=51625&scid=1000&scname=Mountai n. I'm pretty excited.

In the end I figured that I would rather have a frame that I knew was bomber and that had the support of my local bike shop that I could upgrade and grow with. I wheeled and dealed and managed to get the bike shop to knock a bit off the price as well as throw in some $60 clippless shimanos, plus 15% off any other accessories. I'm finally happy and complete. It'll be here in 5 days.

Name:  6308..jpg
Views: 843
Size:  135.0 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Once again you must be under a rock, every brand now has 29'ers in thier lineup, Trek, specialized, giant, cannondale, santacruz, ellsworth, titus, kona, salsa, niner, (really brand choices are limited?)etc, etc, etc, 29'er are no longer unique or exotic bikes, and yes you can go into any shop and buy 29'r parts, what kind of tires you want kenda, maxxis, wtb? all have 29 inch rubber for you no problem, look what what just reated the best trail bike for 2011.....Rumblefish....Trek...29'r You know a 29'er is just the mtn bike equivelent of a 700c road tire? Personally I have ridden both and was so impressed with my recent test ride of the superfly and the santacruz tallboy that I am looking to buy on of these two bikes for the upcoming season. And you better find a new bike shop if they cant lace up and 24 inch rim, I just called the Bike shoppe in Ogden talked to Ralph, and Bikers edge in Kaysville they said no problem on lacing up a 24 inch rim they could have it back to you by tommorow. Its graduated from a fad, it's not going away anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    Hiding under a rock, far from it. I have been riding mountaincycle and its products since the early 90's. Some people even say that Robert Reissinger invented mountain bikes. He introduced the first fork and pro stop disk brakes for bicycles. It took years for others to catch on. I have been dedicated to mostly downhill type bikes the past 15 years $5000.00 and up. I can speak from past experience with buying unique and exotic bikes and components. The first 29" bike that I can recall was in the early 90's and was a Bianchi. Some people probably think that this 29" bike is the latest and greatests because of the marketing that started around 2006. Your brand choices are still limited the same goes for replacement parts. I have had numerous headaches and expense because of choosing to have something unique. You can not just go into any bike shop and purchase a 29" front fork. If you taco a wheel in Fruita, co. You better hope that you have a spare wheel with you. I still have a bike with a 26" front and a 24" rear rim by my choice. Not every bike shop can lace a 24" wheel. In fact I only know of one shop than can do this in Salt Lake county. That reminds me of how the bigger wheels are more vulnerable to getting out of true. These bigger rims, tires, tubes, longer chain, and longer spokes also mean additional weight and rolling restistance weight or mass. Of course I don't worry too much about weight, but to some it matters. The great thing about bikes is that if you buy one you will probably want more bikes and this means variety. Perfect example is Greyhairs collection.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Looks like a nice bike. Seems like it should work well for you. Have fun riding.

Looks like a nice bike. In reality, the only really bad bike is the one that gets bought and just sits in the garage.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    In reality, the only really bad bike is the one that gets bought and just sits in the garage.
    Ain't that the truth. I have seen this happen far too often...what a shame.

Nice job in getting a new bike. I can relate to the long research and obsession of getting the best deal. I drove my wife crazy while spending 2 years trying to get the bike that I wanted. When I finally located the bike in Santa Barbra, I drove 11 hrs there the very next day to pick it up. Have fun riding !

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Hall..f'ing...elujah. Found one, or should I say I finally made a decision. After visiting about 6 shops here in town, looking at over 8 craigslist bikes, and countless hours on the internet, I finally found one. You want to know what made the decision, THE SHOP. I went to All Mountain Cyclery in Boulder and I felt joey (yep, we're on a first name basis) was completely genuine and there to help. I told him I wanted to look at the Felts, Diamondbacks and Specialized. I rode them all. He talked candidly with me about the internet deals and the pluses and minuses of each brand.

So in the end I decided I was too new to mtn biking and that I didn't want to deal with an internet company. So I scratched the Motobecanes off the list. So in the end it came down to the Felt, Diamondback, and Specialized. They all had a similiar range of components at the $700 range. Here is where the guy was super helpful. After riding the Felt it didn't feel 'RIGHT' but the Specialized did. So I ordered a new white and brown Hardrock Sport Disk 29. //www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=51625&scid=1000&scname=Mountai n. I'm pretty excited.

In the end I figured that I would rather have a frame that I knew was bomber and that had the support of my local bike shop that I could upgrade and grow with. I wheeled and dealed and managed to get the bike shop to knock a bit off the price as well as throw in some $60 clippless shimanos, plus 15% off any other accessories. I'm finally happy and complete. It'll be here in 5 days.

Name:  6308..jpg
Views: 843
Size:  135.0 KB
    You have chosen wisely grasshopper. That is a climbing machine! Enjoy!