Thread: JEM Trail Debrief Part I: Jump Choice and Preparation

JEM Trail Debrief Part I: Jump Choice and Preparation

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20011

Now let's analyze the hell outta this thing

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

well first we need ground rules for discussing this.. but i'll be the first to admit that someone shouldn't have been standing there.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

First rule. No derailing this thread with childish antics.

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    well first we need ground rules for discussing this.. but i'll be the first to admit that someone shouldn't have been standing there.
    nah, Mark's glad you were there.

Besides, it was the best position for displaying the steepness.

Well clearly he should have been going a lot faster. He only rolled over 3 or 4 times. Never achieving supersonic speed is a party foul.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Yeah, but you dont want to end up like I did and spend a year recovering.
    Seriously, you barely made it outta that one without a broken bone. I watched the vid carefully and you rolled well....almost tried to catch yourself with your arm - that would have been bad! I always tuck and roll now - no matter what. I do think however that you would do well with a 'flak jacket' style of upper body front and back armor. one of the best buys I ever made, and it kinda helps with boosting the confidence a bit.

Re: JEM Trail Debrief Part I: Jump Choice and Preparation

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20011

Now let's analyze the hell outta this thing

LOL. Those canyoneers sometimes take things way too seriously.

Greyhair Biker,

What kind of 'flak jacket' armor are you wearing, and is it comfortable/cool enough for xc rides?

After my first serious crash (concussion), my better half made me buy leg & arm armor & a FF helmet. They lasted about 2 rides before I ditched them. I just started wearing knee pads again during the winter. I don't know if they'll last during the summer though.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

I'm going to disagree beach. Had Mark made the jump we would never heard about this trip other than a successful TR.

Sure there were mistakes made, too much weight going forward instead of over the rear wheel, when he realize he was out of control should have called back up to you beach and asked fro a belay over the steep part, too much weight in those pack. But all those are trivial.

The important thing to remember is that when it hit the fan mark kept it together and toughed it through and was prepared for a self rescue if needed.

How many trails has this group previously done? Have they mainly been beginner friendly or have they thrown in a few say Porucpine rim to prepare themselves for severe drops. I personally do not feel a camel back should be worn. Your water should be carried in the bottle holders on your bike. This will help to lower your center of gravity. Also trying to film an action video will also make someone take chances that they would probably of not of done. They should of waited for someone else to check the drop for them first. But all and all a helicopter was not dispatched and you learn from your mistakes so probably a successful trip.

Here are a few links to check out:

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...f-04839b09964e

661 used to make what was called a 'flak jacket' - a short sleeve full torso padded jacket with shoulder pads, chest protectors and a spinal protector built it. Now, as with every year, the names & models change but the idea is the same or improved greatly.
    Now the closest thing they have to it is called the assault pressure suit.

I wear one of two smaller CamelBaks with mine and dont seem to have a problem with center of gravity issues but that maybe fixed simply by lowering your seatpost......Gravity seatposts make a great seatpost you can lower or raise with the push of a button or lever:

http://gravitydropper.com/

other body armor choices:

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...ds&menuLevel=0

http://www.raceface.com/apparel/protection/1/

Hope this helps a little.
    Check with GoRide bikeshop. They'll have everything you need

I see a lot of guys on porcupine wearing motocross chest protectors.There pretty light.

Mark

One other thing on a chest protector. When wearing a pack it seems like it isn't even there. The plastic shoulder pads spread out the weight.I haven't tried it on a mtn bike but on a dirt bike it's nice. If doing serious downhill may be something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    One other thing on a chest protector. When wearing a pack it seems like it isn't even there. The plastic shoulder pads spread out the weight.I haven't tried it on a mtn bike but on a dirt bike it's nice. If doing serious downhill may be something to look into.
    At first the added weight of the CamelBak will throw you off but try adding weight gradually & riding around easy trails first, then start adding more items until you get used to it. After a while you'll hardly notice it but you will feel too light without it. I never ride trail without a CamelBak even if I dont use it because I'm used to it AND it centers between the hard shell shoulder padding of my armor( can be a bitch to get off though).

Another thing I've tried is to go hiking with the armor and a heavy CamelBak - I've tried it several times. You sweat alot but you get used to that too

I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. Mark has body armor, he just wasn't wearing it at that time. All of us looked at the drop several times before riding it. Mark and I can be seen in the full video landing the drop sucessfully. This second attempt simply failed because he took too severe of an angle to land on the trail and then he turned the wrong direction. He landed fine, he was just headed off of the trail. The video really doesn't show just how steep the hill side was. I had to lock my back wheel to help steer and stay on the path immediatley upon landing as shown in the video. I ride 100% of the time will a camelbak. Even while I am the only one racing with a camelbak, I have come to realize that I feel balanced properly with it on my back. It has been a great water cushion for numerous crashes. Hopefully none will ever be on film. I have forgotten how to crash. Yes it is important to know how to crash in order to minimize damage to yourself.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    The video really doesn't show just how steep the hill side was. I had to lock my back wheel to help steer and stay on the path immediatley upon landing as shown in the video.
    please see

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    when he realize he was out of control should have called back up to you beach and asked fro a belay over the steep part

wish I could have come this time, but it was bad timing with work & family.
    maybe next time when I'm in the area with you all.

It was obviously due to the size of his pack(age).