Thread: DC Quickster

DC Quickster

With slow fishing for the past few weeks, there hasn't been any reason for me to post any reports. Most days were long and cold with very little action, but each week I was able to bring at least one fish home. DC and Strawberry have been my destinations, since they're pretty close.

The Berry has only given up one fish to me and that had to go back (20" cutt). My buddy got about the same treatment over the last trips. Deer Creek gave me one fish per trip, but the fish I got were pretty plump and feisty.

One of the other forums had a little gathering at Rockport and it sounded like fun, but I found myself needing to stay close to home for family festivities later tonight. My kids both have birthdays 2 days apart (yesterday - daughter, tomorrow - the boy) and any fishing this week had to be finished by noon.

Originally, I wasn't going to go at all, but I realized that this would probably be my last chance to use the borrowed auger that I've been using. I'm glad I went.

Deer Creek was covered in a thick fog right before first light, as I made my way down the steep, snow covered hillside by Antenna Rock. Two quick holes were drilled about 15-20 feet from shore and in the first went a pink gizzy bug on a glow shrimpo head, tipped with a big meal worm. The second hole got a big pearl tube jig with a chub minnow on it.

Within 10 minutes, my gizzy rod was bouncing and I was forced to take my time fighting in a nice 20" rainbow with a grudge. I was relieved to finally get it onto the ice, since it was constantly ripping drag the other direction. Nice fish. Better than I've gotten previously, at DC.

A couple of other bites were missed and I got another nice bow about an hour later, which taped out at 19". Looks like my DC trout curse is kicked!

Both of the big guys hit the gizzy bug with a mealie, as well as the misses. It felt good to finally shake the dry spell of poor fishing, especially on a limited agenda.

The tube jig didn't get a bump until I threw a meal worm on it and then I missed a couple of bites before pulling up a smaller bow at about 15", which went right back in the hole.

Several more bites were missed on either rod and a couple more fish also hit the deck, none under 15". The bites were strong and very noticeable for the first couple of hours and then they seemed to get weaker as the day went on. The last couple of fish I caught were barely nibbling. Most bites came in 15 feet of water, just a couple of cranks off the bottom.

It was a good day and I was glad to get out and have decent fishing at a place that has burned me so many times. Looks like I can finally give DC the respect it deserves.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Those are some fat pigs. Very nice!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum