Thread: Bike comparison question?? I'm a complete noob!

Bike comparison question?? I'm a complete noob!

So here is the deal, I'm heading out on an LDS mission and require a bike. The bike shop in San Antonio has 2 options for missionaries. They are:

1- 2008 raleigh mojave 8.0 with helmet, fenders, lights, and lock for $615
    2- 2009 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disk with same equipment for $450

This bike will be ridden just about everyday, all day, for 2 years. I'm wondering which is the better deal, better bike, better for me?

I'm 6 ft, 175lbs.

Also, I also buy local if I can, so is it worth jumping up to $720 for a Gary Fisher Wahoo with the same extras? I would then have to have it shipped and reassembled in Texas.

I REALLY appreciate the help. I've done all the research I can and would just like some experienced knowledge.

Jaden Cook
    better off outdoors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

accadacca and I will tell you flat out, it's all about the warranty.

For street riding, suspension may work against you unless you want to play around a bit.

If you know for sure that you'll be riding every day for 2 years, maybe you'll go through 2 bikes no matter what model?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    price and warranty go right out the window.. it's the geometry you got to look at..

demo the bikes and ride them around a lot, for the kind of riding your going to be doing, you want to be comfortable.

between those two bikes the 2008 raleigh mojave is more of a trick bike and in most cases the seat is meant to be lowered so it can do tricks.

the 2009 GT Avalanche is a much better choice because the rise of the frame in the back is a bit higher..
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

i'd get one with a motor.

i'll admit i know nothing about missions, but you are doing your mission in texas? aren't there already some young mormon lads in texas? do they do there missions in utah? just curious.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    price and warranty go right out the window.. it's the geometry you got to look at..
    Sorry, that's a little inside joke. acca and I beat our mission bikes to hell. We were in the shop about twice a week

For street riding, suspension may work against you unless you want to play around a bit.

If you know for sure that you'll be riding every day for 2 years, maybe you'll go through 2 bikes no matter what model?
    Thanks for the fast response. I checked up on it and the warranty is the same for them all. Basically they take good care of us.

demo the bikes and ride them around a lot, for the kind of riding your going to be doing, you want to be comfortable.

between those two bikes the 2008 raleigh mojave is more of a trick bike and in most cases the seat is meant to be lowered so it can do tricks.

the 2009 GT Avalanche is a much better choice because the rise of the frame in the back is a bit higher..
    Sweet, thanks for some technical info. I've also been able to talk with a friend's mom who has been riding the GT on his mission for a year each day and he is really happy. I'm going to test ride one tomorrow and if I like it I'm going to go with the GT.
    better off outdoors

Cookiecutter,

Why does the bike store have just 2 options for missionaries? Has the church made arrangements? Just my opinion, but if you can wait until you get there and ride them that would be my choice. If not head into one of the bike stores around here and get some ideas. I have not looked these bikes up but I assume they are some crossover mtn bike? Go for something comfortable and not alot of suspension. On lower end bikes the supsension absorbs alot of your pedal power. But if possible wait until they tell you where you are headed. Yes the Pres tells you to get a bike but you could,...... wait for it it is coming...... end up in a car . there will be alot of small towns in your mission with large areas and bikes will not be practical. I went to arkansas was told to bring a bike hauled one there and never rode the dog. Got lucky started in a car and never looked back. You may not have any choice but if you can wait I would try to. Even if you can quiz the boys in the office they can give you some direction. Alot of if's here but even buying it in your first area if possible would be better then hauling the dog around. Cars rule bikes don't.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i'd get one with a motor.

i'll admit i know nothing about missions, but you are doing your mission in texas? aren't there already some young mormon lads in texas? do they do there missions in utah? just curious.
    You and me both!

Good questions about missions..I'll be serving in the Texas San Antonio mission. The area covers most of south west Texas, its border being the Mexican border, and is goes east just past Austin. Your right, there are quite a few of us Mormon lads in Texas. Over 100 in the San Antonio mission alone. There are missionaries in Utah also, along with all over the World. I have close friends in Russia, another in India, Korea, just to name a few. We go where we are told, I'll be speaking Spanish in Texas. Can't wait!
    better off outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Cookiecutter,

Why does the bike store have just 2 options for missionaries? Has the church made arrangements? Just my opinion, but if you can wait until you get there and ride them that would be my choice. If not head into one of the bike stores around here and get some ideas. I have not looked these bikes up but I assume they are some crossover mtn bike? Go for something comfortable and not alot of suspension. On lower end bikes the supsension absorbs alot of your pedal power. But if possible wait until they tell you where you are headed. Yes the Pres tells you to get a bike but you could,...... wait for it it is coming...... end up in a car . there will be alot of small towns in your mission with large areas and bikes will not be practical. I went to arkansas was told to bring a bike hauled one there and never rode the dog. Got lucky started in a car and never looked back. You may not have any choice but if you can wait I would try to. Even if you can quiz the boys in the office they can give you some direction. Alot of if's here but even buying it in your first area if possible would be better then hauling the dog around. Cars rule bikes don't.

Mark
    Man, I hope your right. I can already feel the air conditioning

About the missionary options, the Church hasn't made any arrangements but there is a bike shop right by the mission home that has been helping out the missionaries for a while now. They give us pretty good deals on bikes, plus take care of real well in terms of warranty and work while we are there. Another benefit is that I don't have to buy one and ship it.

My original plan was to wait like you said and worry about it once I get there, but I got a call from the mission home telling me I need to have a bike there before I enter the MTC. I luckily have a good buddy from high school in my same mission. Been down there for about a year and has ridden a bike the whole time. He has also said that some haven't ever been on a bike like you mentioned. I think I'll just play this one safe and get one. At the very least I'll have a better bike when I get home than the huffy I have sitting in the garage
    better off outdoors

You're lucky you get to ride a bike. I had to walk or ride the bus everywhere I went. My mission only had two cars when I got there. One for the AP's and the other for the president. After the AP's wrecked their car, we only had one.

Brasil is a different place though and I wouldn't have wanted to drive there anyway. Good luck and have fun in Texas. It's truly an adventure that you won't forget.

Oh and the others are right about the bikes. Don't bother with suspension and look for something that is comfortable for you to ride. When you get back and decide that mountain biking is awesome, drop us a line and we'll all go.

I was on a bike in Georgia for about 6 months then had a car the other year and a half. When I went out there wasn't any such thing thing as a mountain bike. They were all 10 speeds. 5 months in to my mission, my bike was stolen. We went into a house for 2 minutes, came out, and it was gone. Don't know how anyone not close to my height could have hopped on the thing to ride it away. Anyway, I had to buy another brand new one, had it for a month, then was put in a car. I ended up selling it to another tall missionary. So, even if you don't ride it, you should be able to sell it to another Elder. Good luck! Missions are the best!
    Whichever bike you choose, I'd have them mounted with semi-slicks. They'll roll faster, and won't have the knobby vs. pavement chatter/vibration.
    Are we there yet?

Whatever bike you get, I would suggest getting a high riser bar so you don't have to bend your back as much. I rode my mission on a gen1 mountain bike (when mountain bikes were first introduced, they had riser bars) with fat street tires. I like the fat tires because you have a better contact patch for wet/loose where skinny tires are more likely to wash out.

Either way, you will beat the crap out of your bike and you don't really have time to do the kind of upkeep you need to keep them tip-top, so I wouldn't spend a fortune on it. On the other hand, put a little more into the bike for quality components and you will have a better ride. When I take noobs mountain biking, I always fit them or have them rent a bike rather than riding a Costco Huffy.

You should also consider looking at Performance Bike online. They probably have shops in San Antonio. Look at the hybrid or commuter bikes. They will sit you more upright, which is more comfortable when you spend all day in the saddle. Also, look at getting a rack and some sort of bag you can throw on the rack to avoid wearing a backpack, which will be miserable for riding and make your back sweatpot. Comuter bikes sometimes come with racks and fenders (which are handy to keep your tires from spraying your clothes with water when you ride).

Just my 2c.

I served in Arkansas and was on a bike for 2 months. I chose to buy my bike new locally there. I rode the bike just for exercise and fun. The balance of the time I drove a car. At the end of my mission I sent the bike home by ups. It was a 1989 giant igauna. To my suprise, I was able to sell it for about 2/3's of what I paid for it new 3 years later.

I really appreciate all the help. I went with the GT avalanche, it will be sitting for me at the mission home when I get there. Hopefully I won't have to use it much, but if I do I think I'll be good. I'll take a look at the high rise bars as well.
    better off outdoors

Whatever you buy, wrap up the frame with duct tape, make it look worn out. Thieves look for the nice shiny frame and think the bike is awesome.

My brother used this method and succeeded. His companion's bike was stolen 3 times, locked up right next to his.