Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowardly Google?

Cowardly Google?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow. I have loved Google until this very moment. I find that very lame.

Yeah, I saw this a couple of days ago. Very very lame.

Not only that, but to to Google and type in "Muslims are" or "Shi'ites are" and you get the same thing. Then try "Mormonism is".

I am really irked over this but unsure of how far I should take this.

The staff at Google don't pre-enter the autofill data. It's based on analysis of web activity and most popular searches. In other words, it's not Google's fault.

[i]Is Google Censoring Islam Suggestions?

By Ryan Singel Email Author
    January 7, 2010
    2:23 pm

Confused about what Islam is? Join the party

So, the article seemed to say in the beginning that it's a glitch but went on to say that someone likely got a complaint and put the word Islam on a list of skip words.
    Seems clear that some employee, rather than the Google organization, made his/her own decision about this. It could have been for personal political/religious reasons or it could have been (as implied in the article) for dumbass reasons.
    I say it seems clear because if it were a company decision I'm quite sure they would have put all religions on the skip list if they put one.
    Too bad. It does make Google look bad.
    I wonder how long it has been like this.

[quote=Google]Google says it filters out

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    So, the article seemed to say in the beginning that it's a glitch but went on to say that someone likely got a complaint and put the word Islam on a list of skip words.
    Seems clear that some employee, rather than the Google organization, made his/her own decision about this. It could have been for personal political/religious reasons or it could have been (as implied in the article) for dumbass reasons.
    I say it seems clear because if it were a company decision I'm quite sure they would have put all religions on the skip list if they put one.
    Too bad. It does make Google look bad.
    I wonder how long it has been like this.
    In addition to wondering how long it's been like this it will be interesting to see how long it stays like this.

Does any one seriously believe that this is or has been google policy? They are publicly traded for hell's sake.

Its obviously a fluke or actions of a single person.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    That seems to be the general feeling around here it would seem...and yet there were many publicly traded newspapers (maybe not publicly traded, but definitely there to inform the public), who refused to run the Danish cartoons making fun of Mohammed--even though it was a serious world story with all the riots and things like that, so you never know.

Does any one seriously believe that this is or has been google policy? They are publicly traded for hell's sake.
    I have probably been a bigger Google advocate than anyone on this site. I have been a long Google supporter and I believe this. Google is a lot more accommodating with China than they are with the U.S. because they have to be to do business with them. I believe this is the same type of appeasement used towards China being used with Islam. Squeaky wheel gets the oil sort of thing.

hmmm...Could it be SATAN!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[quote="jimflint1"]
    so you never know.
    yip...
    It must be the devil
    Attached Images Attached Images      

hahahah thats funny. Google goes to a LOT of trouble to build these filters and ANY filter is the subject of much debate inside google. This particular filter is a huge issue inside google. Currently thye are thinking of extending this to cover all religions. They get TONS of email about it.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

to think that some rogue Google employee went in secret and set this filter behind everybody's back is, well, ungoogley.

The proof is in the end result. If we're supposed to believe that this "isn't Google's policy" and that they're all scratching their heads wondering how to reverse this, because there are no computer techs that work at Google....

If it's fixed this week, they're justified. If not, it actually is Google's policy. They've paid somebody to work for them that accomplished this, and they haven't fixed it.

People can believe what they want. Somebody's feelings are always going to get hurt. I think once these things are brought up to Google they are working on a fix for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    well, ungoogley.