Thread: Marijuana Stores Outnumber Starbucks In Denver

Marijuana Stores Outnumber Starbucks In Denver

Quote Originally Posted by portfolio.com
    If you want more proof that selling legal pot is a booming business, consider this statistic: Denver has more medical-marijuana shops than Starbucks Corp. locations.

Denver's City Treasurer Steve Ellington tells ABC New affiliate Channel 7 that at least 390 pot dispensaries applied for a sales-tax license recently. That compares to 208 Starbucks in the entire state of Colorado, the station reports. Denver's city council took a step toward regulating the marijuana stores last night, and the businesses are filing their tax applications.

The Denver statistic sheds light on a business that is becoming more institutionalized as local governments try to figure out ways to raise revenue. The Denver council will hold a public hearing and take a final vote Monday. Only a day later, on Tuesday, a California Assembly panel is expected to vote on a bill that would legalize pot across the state.

Denver is an example of how desperate politicians are to collect taxes on this burgeoning industry. The marijuana dispensaries are rushing to get their sales-tax applications filed to beat a deadline as part of a new law being considered. The change in law: No marijuana store can be within 1,000 feet of schools or child-care centers unless you get your tax application in before a deadline.
    http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs...cks-in-denver/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Marijuana Stores Outnumber Starbucks In Denver

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

Quote Originally Posted by portfolio.com
    If you want more proof that selling legal pot is a booming business, consider this statistic: Denver has more medical-marijuana shops than Starbucks Corp. locations.

Denver's City Treasurer Steve Ellington tells ABC New affiliate Channel 7 that at least 390 pot dispensaries applied for a sales-tax license recently. That compares to 208 Starbucks in the entire state of Colorado, the station reports. Denver's city council took a step toward regulating the marijuana stores last night, and the businesses are filing their tax applications.

The Denver statistic sheds light on a business that is becoming more institutionalized as local governments try to figure out ways to raise revenue. The Denver council will hold a public hearing and take a final vote Monday. Only a day later, on Tuesday, a California Assembly panel is expected to vote on a bill that would legalize pot across the state.

Denver is an example of how desperate politicians are to collect taxes on this burgeoning industry. The marijuana dispensaries are rushing to get their sales-tax applications filed to beat a deadline as part of a new law being considered. The change in law: No marijuana store can be within 1,000 feet of schools or child-care centers unless you get your tax application in before a deadline.
    http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs...cks-in-denver/
    What I htink is funny is many of the dispensaries have signed leases and started setting up shop before the rules restricting locations were announced. Typical stoner move.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Re: Marijuana Stores Outnumber Starbucks In Denver

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    at least 390 pot dispensaries
    This sounds like a business opportunity. Anyone know where I can get ahold of 390 Doritos trucks?

My small town, population 9000 has 7 now. Our valley has 30. It's quite ridiculous. I don't really care but it's like opening 7 McDonalds in a row.

Sounds to me like instead of the business opportunity, they are applying for a "get out of jail free" card. Cop busts you with some pot, no way man - I'm a dispensary and am just delivering some pot to my customer.

Sign me up.

Yup and the number one medical condition in order to get yourself a prescription for medical MJ is "anxiety".

Also you are allowed to apply with the state for a grow license. This allows you 5 plants in your home to grow for sell to the dispensary. Most plants go for $3000+ so it can become profitable. Problem is, how would we explain the grow rooms to the kids?

Oh and the newest business in town is now GROW SUPPLIES! A supply store for you to buy everything you need to grow a profitable little garden.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Yup and the number one medical condition in order to get yourself a prescription for medical MJ is "anxiety".

Also you are allowed to apply with the state for a grow license. This allows you 5 plants in your home to grow for sell to the dispensary. Most plants go for $3000+ so it can become profitable. Problem is, how would we explain the grow rooms to the kids?

Oh and the newest business in town is now GROW SUPPLIES! A supply store for you to buy everything you need to grow a profitable little garden.
    The trick though is to buy a big house and get 3-4 "roommates" who will live rent free in exchange for getting a grow permit. So 5 plants per person = 20 plants X $3000 = $60,000 per 40 day grow cycle. Rent is covered and after expeneses comes to about $35,671 profit per month. And that includes a $2550 dollar mortgauge, $2341 electric bill, and roughly $10,000 setup in the expenses. Of course the 2nd month the setup fee disappears and the profit jumps up. You reinvest that money into CO2 tanks to get your grow cycle down to 31 days and make even more money. Or so I hear...
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket

The trick though is to buy a big house and get 3-4 "roommates" who will live rent free in exchange for getting a grow permit. So 5 plants per person = 20 plants X $3000 = $60,000 per 40 day grow cycle. Rent is covered and after expeneses comes to about $35,671 profit per month. And that includes a $2550 dollar mortgauge, $2341 electric bill, and roughly $10,000 setup in the expenses. Of course the 2nd month the setup fee disappears and the profit jumps up. You reinvest that money into CO2 tanks to get your grow cycle down to 31 days and make even more money. Or so I hear...

And when do we start this up?

I'm all for legalizing drugs. Pot especially!
    (I don't smoke it & I don't want my kids smoking it), but I don't have a problem with other people smoking.
    Prohibition did nothing to curb alcohol consumption, but only opened up a whole new market for crime syndicates.
    As long as there's a demand for drugs - there will be a supply, and the only way to stop the crime syndicates from controlling the market is to legalize it. I think that too many people are of the mindset that legalizing something (whether it's drugs or gay marriage) is going to make it more appealing to people.

Funny how Pot is frowned down upon as a medical remedy, yet doctors frequently & freely hand out pharmaceuticals (extremely addictive chemical substances) for everything from anxiety & depression to ADD and ODD (Opposition Defiant Disorder), and a myriad of other symptoms of normal life. Can you believe that normal rebelliousness of teenagers is defined now as a disorder? Unbelievable!!!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Agree with Randi! Thing is, our small town already is overloaded with dispensaries. There's one on EVERY block. And we only have a few blocks in town. I really think they should have made some sort of stipulation that only so many could open per square mile. It is quite funny because on one side of our Glenwood Springs Chamber of Commerce is a GO GREEN dispensary and an A1 CHINESE MASSAGE PARLOR that's open 24 hours (which has been busted for prostitution). I can say it's a little disappointing because it does kind of make our cozy and quaint little town look a bit seedy.

Anyhow regarding weed- I say go legal for sure. I've had my fair share. And I don't care if others smoke it. I do agree it's a more natural choice for certain medical conditions. I also agree that it should be for adults 18+ only. I also think that it should come with label warnings as well. However, the state should have clarified a bit more on some of the details that are now arising as a result of it's legalization.

And when do we start this up?
    Hehe! My brother knows a guy that does this in CA. He actually quit his job at Oracle making around $85k/year to grow pot full time. Well not full time... More like he makes sure his water and ph levels are correct and goes rock climbing for a week in Brazil. What a rough life. :P I'll see if I can dig up the pictures he had of his setup on facebook.

If I lived in CO I would so be all over this. There are videos on youtube and easy instructions on the internet. I can't believe those plants are easy to grow as weeds and sell for that kinda insane money. Just blows my mind really.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Good conversation.
    My little sister and bro-in-law are moving to Castle Rock, CO this weekend. I might actually be helping drive down there. I keep teasing her about all the pot in Colorado and saying that her little boy might end up a stoner.

Anybody know anything about Castle Rock? I have been reading a bit on Wikipedia...

Castle Rock is another suburb of Denver......white picket fence kinda thing.
    They are safe from all the lunacy.