Thread: Best Trails to Ride in Moab for a Noob Mountainbiker

Best Trails to Ride in Moab for a Noob Mountainbiker

All right all you experts out there, I'm interested in your top 10 or so trails that a beginner should first ride in Moab in order to develop skills, not get killed, develop a passion for riding, and see cool stuff.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well first off just ride the ole slick rock trail. Its for n00bs I think. Well depends on how n00bie they all are. I think your crew should be ok. Hmmmm...easier stuff then that? Others will have to chime in...
    I try to stick to the classic trails and some are pretty hard.

Not sure I can come up with 10 beginner rides but here's a few I recommend:

1- Klondike Bluffs- I really like this ride still, even though it's considered more of a beginner trail. There's nothing too technical about it but it does require some aerobic conditioning. Gives you plenty of slickrock riding and has a cool end of trail view. Out and back.
    2- Gemini Bridges- Dirt roads with a killer double arch at the end that you end up on top of and can walk across or ride- if you dare! Worth it for that alone. A couple of short, stiff climbs.
    3- Dead Horse Point- A new trail that I haven't ridden yet but form what I understand is fun and family friendly. You will have to pay to get into the park.
    4- Hurrah Pass- Another dirt road ride but has some cool rock formations along the way. In the Amassa Back area.

Not considered beginner but doable if you're careful and don't ride beyond your ability. There's no shame in walking over a tough section:

1- Slickrock Trail- I'm amazed at how many people treat this as a beginner ride. It is not. It is technical and challenging. You could start out by riding the Practice Loop then decide if you want to try the whole thing.
    2- Amassa Back- This is one of my favorite Moab rides. Love this trail. It is an out-and-back and you are mostly riding on a Jeep trail. Walk over the first part that drops you down toward the creek. The next 4-5 miles are uphill but it isn't a brutal climb. You will probably need to walk a few sections but, again, there is no shame in doing so. I would definitely try this one.

Check out the detailed trail descriptions on utahmountainbiking.com.

Have fun!
    Are we there yet?

I really like the Sovereign Singletrack for a not so technical trail. I haven't been down there lately, but this trail might be snow covered right now. The trailhead in near the turnoff to Dead Horse Point.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/sovergn.htm

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Well first off just ride the ole slick rock trail. Its for n00bs I think. Well depends on how n00bie they all are. I think your crew should be ok. Hmmmm...easier stuff then that? Others will have to chime in...
    I try to stick to the classic trails and some are pretty hard.
    I'm never so quick to recommend that people just go out and ride Slickrock. Too many people get the wrong impression of that trail. I guess that's why on the Emergency Room board tally, Slickrock is by far the most common culprit. (I know, I know, it has more people on it than any other trail.....). It is much more difficult for new riders than many think it will be. I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from riding it. If you have basic bike handling skills and a little common sense you will be fine. I've just seen way too many people 1/4 mile in wearing jeans and a backwards helmet.....

Anyway, I would also recommend Klondike Bluffs. The exposure to slickrock there will quickly let people know if they are interested in stepping it up a notch.

Slickrock kicks my butt every time too. It's definitely popular and there are always families there, but it does have a ton of brutal climbs on it.

I'd suggest Sovereign Singletrack as well:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9050

I would also steer away from Slickrock if you are a true beginner... it's a lot harder and technical in spots then people realize, and, it's long (12 or 13 miles). Definitely do the practice loop (2 or 3 miles), though, and see how your group does then you can decide if you want more.

I would go for Klondike and Gemini for new riders. Cool stuff to see on both. Gemini is easy, but there are some big climbs and it feels really long (maybe because I'm bored by the time I'm halfway back) - make sure your group is up for that.

Hurrah Pass is nice, but again, it's a dirt road, and feels long... it gets feeling really long by the time you are heading back.

Sovereign I love and is a great trail for newer riders, but there are definitely some techy spots, always have the option to walk anything you are not comfortable with.

Try Barlett Wash... it's simply a big playground of slickrock... totally varies in ability and it's a great learning/practice area for Moab area ridinig... fun stuff!

There are quite a few new trails out there, too (new in the last few years) - ask around at the bike shops. One by Klondike, one or two out by Slickrock.

DONT do Porcupine!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    DONT do Porcupine!
    One of the gals we rode this with literally kissed the pavement at the end. What a roadie.

There's also a short loop around Courthouse Rock on the way out to Monitor and Merrimac Buttes. The buttes themselves are also cool but riding all the way out to them and back involves cranking through what seems like a two mile long sand trap.

There's also the Hidden Canyon ride. I've only done it once on my first trip to Moab about 10 years ago. I was a beginner then and the other two rides we did ate me alive. I remember some route finding was involved but I don't remember the riding being very technical and the views were great.

Whatever you do, learn to love the sand.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Dead Horse State Park has put in an excellent beginner single track up there. Has a short loop and a long loop. The long loop is 9 miles.

If you do Gemini and can arrange a shuttle, start on the deadhorse road and ride DOWNHILL all the way to town or the lower Gemini parking lot.

Bartlett slickrock is a good area for all around riding.
    Klondike is fun just drive out to the slickrock and don't pedal in.

If doing the slick rock trail, just stay around the start on the practice loop. This gives you a warm up for what slick rock is like. After getting warmed up around the practice loop just ride the main trail out to the intersection where the loop starts and turn around and head back. Nice warm up.

Porcupine is the epic ride but that's hell on wheels if your a noob.

The absolute best complete beginner ride is the bike trail thru town. It's fun.

But if you are planning to go anytime soon Moab is covered in SNOW.
    Mark

I don't think I can really add to this list of trails. Beginner?? PLEASE don't do SlickRock Trail. Try hiking it first. I nearly always end up helping unfortunates out on that trail. I like to. I prepare for it. It's the 'Good Samaritan' feeling, and you're guaranteed to practice it on SlickRock.
    I have to agree about the rides through town. Also, with Klondike Bluffs and Bartlett Wash. Also, DRIVE up the Gemini Bridges road until you get up on the 'hanging valley' area, park and ride down the road. You'll get a take of rough and sand and have an escape vehicle.

Go and buy a moab trail guide.It will be your best bet.And whatever you do, don't ride the slickrock trail.You have to have your skills honed before you ride that one.it's very hard.

You could get seriously hurt on it dude.I aint kidd'in.

I would start out on merimac bute,then the klonedike.Get use to slickrock before you ride the slickrock trail.

The Moab Trail Guide is a must have as well as the Trails Illustrated Maps of Moab East and West. Go to the information center on Main St.(center of town) and you'll find these and more.

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    DONT do Porcupine!
    One of the gals we rode this with literally kissed the pavement at the end. What a roadie.

My friend took me on the Whole Enchilada for my first trail ever on a mountain bike, and we did it in August. But I had a blast and can't wait to do it again. Porcupine was my favorite part of the trip.