Thread: Customizing a Canyon Pack

Customizing a Canyon Pack

Student loans don't stretch as far as I need them to so I'm making some sacrifices. After much consideration I decided that cutting back on gear purchases is safer than (but not necessarily preferable to) selling my kidney in Tijuana. So...instead of buying a new climbing pack and a canyoneering pack I'm just buying a new pack and modifying my current pack into a canyon pack. (yes, I just said "pack" 5 times in one sentence) My climbing pack will work well; it's beefy, doesn't have external pockets, and is the perfect size. I know I need to throw grommets in the bottom of the pack but that's about where my knowledge ends. Any advice from you experienced (or just opinionated) canyoneers on how to best modify a climbing pack into a canyon pack?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I bought my wife a nice Vaude climbing pack. We didn't put grommets in it and she loves it. As long as she keeps the top dry the water doesn't leak in. It is made of Cordura. I don't know if the cordura is waterproof or if there is some kind of a coating. She hasn't taken it into any skinnies yet. When it gets its first natural hole and isn't waterproof anymore we will put in grommets.
    The man thong is wrong.

When making a canyoneering pack start with about ten 1/2" drain grommets mounted in the bottom. The grommets drain the water out of the pack quickly upon exiting a pothole. Any pack in the 2500 to 3000 cubic inch range which fits you will work well. A pack with few or no pockets is preferred since that allows less places for water to become trapped.

The big secret to a canyoneering backpack is placing grommets in the bottom to drain the water out quickly. A Grommet kit is available in most fabric stores for around $10. I suggest placing at least one grommet in each bottom corner of the pack and several across the bottom. Grommets placed in the bottom have a tendency to become clogged with items inside the pack such as your dry bag sitting on top of them, which is the reason for grommets in the bottom corners.

Info from: http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

I'm a big fan of "preventative" maintenance. This stuff is badass:

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Home Depot carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    I'm a big fan of "preventative" maintenance. This stuff is badass:

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Home Depot carries it.
    I haven't had good experience with Tool Dip - peels off way too fast for my liking. Anyone else used an alternative for covering large areas (not just shoe seams)?

Aquaseal works pretty well for covering large areas, especially if you apply it in several coats. It is not the cheapest thing around, but is very durable when applied to porous surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    I haven't had good experience with Tool Dip - peels off way too fast for my liking. Anyone else used an alternative for covering large areas (not just shoe seams)?
    Ditto that for me too. I used a bunch on a wall haul bag and it kinda just peeled off. Pretty thin, too. Not really for fabric. Used some on a descender (SBG) to keep the jingle jangle noise down, but, it didn't really stick well to that either.

I've used Freesole a bunch. Did the butt, elbows and knees in my dry suit and many a pack bottom (and shoes, etc). Goes on thick, and, sticks. Handles abrasion well. Seems like its around 6 bucks or more a tube, though. I bought a bunch on closeout somewhere, so...wasn't too spendy but I used it all up.

Been using Seamgrip a bunch, but, its not as thick as Freesole.

-Brian in SLC

Re: Customizing a Canyon Pack

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx
    Student loans don't stretch as far as I need them to so I'm making some sacrifices. After much consideration I decided that cutting back on gear purchases is safer than (but not necessarily preferable to) selling my kidney in Tijuana. So...instead of buying a new climbing pack and a canyoneering pack I'm just buying a new pack and modifying my current pack into a canyon pack. (yes, I just said "pack" 5 times in one sentence) My climbing pack will work well; it's beefy, doesn't have external pockets, and is the perfect size. I know I need to throw grommets in the bottom of the pack but that's about where my knowledge ends. Any advice from you experienced (or just opinionated) canyoneers on how to best modify a climbing pack into a canyon pack?
    Went to Ace Hardware and bought their largest diameter brass (?) grommet kit, comes with mini anvil things that allow you to put them in. You just need a hammer and a wood block. Spread them out over the bottom of your pack and maybe a few on the backside.

10. Likes StarFangledNut liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Customizing a Canyon Pack

Quote Originally Posted by nonot
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx
    Went to Ace Hardware and bought their largest diameter brass (?) grommet kit, comes with mini anvil things that allow you to put them in. You just need a hammer and a wood block. Spread them out over the bottom of your pack and maybe a few on the backside.
    I think you will find the punch that comes with the kit is really bad. Can buy a better punch in the correct size for a couple of bucks, generally right in the same area. I always found the ACE in Olympus Cove to be pretty well stocked. A large log with both ends flat will allow you to put the pack over the log and pound away.

Tom

FWIW: Kirkham's in SLC will also put the grommets in a backpack for you. I was in a hurry one day and had them do a pack. They charged $1 per grommet and it took them about 5 minutes. If you are only doing one pack the cost is about equal. Just thought I'd toss that out there....

13. Likes StarFangledNut liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    FWIW: Kirkham's in SLC will also put the grommets in a backpack for you. I was in a hurry one day and had them do a pack. They charged $1 per grommet...
    That's a great deal.

I bought my grommet kit from Tandy Leather (on State Street in SLC). Its a cheapie, can't recall how much, but, its the "Handi Grommet Kit" by Lord and Hodge, inc. 48 brass grommets, size 1 (5/16"). The punch works just fine (wouldn't want to do 1000 holes with it, to be sure). Also comes with a little piece of wood (for use with the "cutter").

I think I've done 4 or so packs with mine. Can't recall a single grommet that hasn't worked. Spiffy.

-Brian in SLC

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I bought a grommet kit and threw some grommets in my old climbing pack. I don't look as cool as you Imlay pack wearers, but it works great. I also bought some backpacks from the DI and put grommets in them to use as rope bags. They fit my 200 foot 9mm perfectly and have the added bonus of making me look like a badass. It's impossible not to look hardcore while rocking a rope bag with stars or dinosaurs on it. I look like I beat up a Girl Scout troop and stole their gear, but it works.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

16. Likes StarFangledNut liked this post