Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering packs

Canyoneering packs

Ive been in the hunt for a canyoneering pack for some time now. I was wondering if anyone has used the Metolius Canyoneer pack. If you could give me any reviews about it that would be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Although I can't comment 1st hand on the pack, a friend uses a similar pack and he loves it. His is durathane all over, just like this one, so it will take a lot of abuse, especially in North Wash slots and most Escalante slots (read, very tight and lots of sandstone). Ergo, it will handle 99% of slots just fine.

Your packpack is about 39L which is big enough to carry a 60m rope (below 9mm) and still leave a little room for your other essentials. And the price at $139 is great! And it has lots of built-in daisy chain loops and drain holes, which is necessary.

solicited advice:

I personally, use the Mountain Hardware Dihedral Pack, and its a bit bigger (40L) and has external pockets which I need.

One thing to consider, a pack like you mentioned above, doesn't have any external pockets, so you will be in and out of your pack, a lot (depends on each person) but more so than a person who has zippers and pockets. The pack I use, I have removed the top flap and removable internal frame, and I can easily access my ascenders, candy (I'm a diabetic, so accessibility is important there), and it has easy access to your water bladder/camelback, headlamps and firestarters, and other essentials that I need - compared to opening the pack and diving in and searching the bag high and low to find it.

I like accessability, a lot! And I rather have things, the important things, with ease of access. So I'm not a big fan of grocery bag packs. And my pack isn't perfect, but I can't find a better one that meets my wants (yet).

/end solicited advice

Thank you for your input. But i just went ahead and bought it. $80 bucks was a hard deal to pass up

Several of my friends and I have the Metolius Canyoneer pack.

For a class "C" canyon or canyon with swims it can't be beat. It's extremely durable, drains so fast you hardly notice you got water in it, and has very few things on the outside to catch debris in the water.

My biggest problem with it is the straps aren't very comfortable. It's not really a pack you want to put all your gear in and walk 6 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by reddman
    Thank you for your input. But i just went ahead and bought it. $80 bucks was a hard deal to pass up
    Who is selling them for $80? Or was this a one shot deal....

Where did you see the Metolius for $80? Thanks.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Blog Entries
    cheapest Metolius pack I saw was on Backcountry for $98.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Minions?? Where's my minions???

Tom

For my back and shoulders, you can't beat the FIT,FORM, and FUNCTION of Imlay canyon packs. They are comfortable enough to wear for long days if necessary, drain very well, and are durable especially since the hybrids came out. They also provide for all the things you want out of a pack. On top of dealing with the abuse and specifics of canyons. My favorites are the Kolob hybrid and the Leprechaun. By far the best bang for your buck. Especially compared to the Metolius. My .02 $ any way.

Sorry Tom.... I was waiting for someone to ask what all the cool kids are wearing....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen
    Where did you see the Metolius for $80? Thanks.
    You can get their Mescalito model for that, then retro the drainage with a grommet kit. Easy to do (that's how I rigged mine). Bit smaller, which, might work for some canyons.

A bit bigger is the Shield (99 bucks), and, the one that's the same size as the canyoneer is the Express, which is 109 retail.

Not sure if the Canyoneer model allows you to remove the shoulder and waist straps, but, the climbing models do. Pretty handy for hauling.

I like mine. Very durable. Carries ok. Fits the Curtec kegs nicely (both a 3.6 and 6.4 keg).

-Brian in SLC

I absolutely love my Imlay packs. They're incredibly comfortable and durable.

Currently rocking a Spry, Kolob, and Lep.

Love my Imlay pack but nothing beats some cheap random piece of crap from a thrift store for North Wash canyons...

Me, I'm poking holes and throwing grommets (that I got for Christmas) into my cheap old 30L pack, and waiting for it to wear out so I can get an Imlay pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Love my Imlay pack but nothing beats some cheap random piece of crap from a thrift store for North Wash canyons...
    don't ya mean: nothing beats (up) some cheap random piece of crap from a thrift store LIKE North Wash canyons? :)

- Imlay Leprechaun for best balance of comfort/durability with some organizational capacity (i.e. inner zippered pocket and bladder-ready). Carry handle makes spots like the "Slanty Shanty" (in Shennany) a relative breeze and doubles as a positioning hoop for carrying stuff on the outside (shell, rope, etc.). Very durable, but not quite as much as...

- The Petzl Classique w/cc foam liner for ultimate durability, handling, with minimal comfort and no organizational features. I've used the *same* pack in N. Wash since October 2001 and still going. It's absolutely bomber - but no es comfy. Internal organizing means using kegs and/or stuff sacks.

If you do skinnies only a couple times a year, do the DI route as Don suggests. For intensive use, go qualit

Were firm believers in Imlay Packs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Were firm believers in Imlay Packs.
    "Were", huh. What changed your mind?

Was it the chopped bolts in popular canyons? Or, the needling and calling out of accident victums?

Ha ha.

Anything that goes through the North Wash abrasion cycle ought to be fully dunked in some type of vinyl sacrificial layer of sorts. Wonder if there's a paint on type stuff that would be cost effective? Maybe some of that resin folks make homemade kayaks out of?

Hmmm....

Actually, Hanks old tomato(e) makes a functional little canyon pack too.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/vert...acks/alcanadre

I got one Imlay pack...doubt I'll ever wear it out. Carries nice (understatement). Older model, not as abrasion proof, but, I don't tend to go that way...so...

A rope bag with shoulder straps might be perfect for some stuff too...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Ya, the leprachaun is way better than thrift store packs for north wash in my opinion. Cheap packs never last more than a couple trips for me, my lep has survived AT LEAST 50 skinny slots and it slides through skinnies easier than any other pack I've used. You can fit a lot in them too if you strap your wetsuit to the outside. I own a petzl canyoneering pack, it's uncomfy and sucks to swim with, Imlay packs are more pricey but very comfy and durable.

5 years with my original Lep pack and it finally gave up the ghost during FF 09. Not the pack but the zippers. I'm pretty rough on a pack so I think that it was a pretty good investment.

had one person say to me that "he had seen me in 7 canyons and I never carried anything but a Lep". Well I do have a permanent "no carry" rope pass from Ram due to my advanced age and at other times it just seemed like the best way to go.

bruce from bryce
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Anything that goes through the North Wash abrasion cycle ought to be fully dunked in some type of vinyl sacrificial layer of sorts. Wonder if there's a paint on type stuff that would be cost effective? Maybe some of that resin folks make homemade kayaks out of?

Hmmm....

I got one Imlay pack...doubt I'll ever wear it out. Carries nice (understatement). Older model, not as abrasion proof, but, I don't tend to go that way...so...

A rope bag with shoulder straps might be perfect for some stuff too...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
    I've got an older Imlay/Kolob pack that I've beat the crap out of since 2005. I used Tool Dip to protect the pack against further abrasion. I painted it onto the seams and bottom of the pack and that stuff has worked out really well. It's extended the life of the pack. I went through a lot of different pack variations until I came across the Imlay line. Tom has made some good stuff there. They're very durable, comfortable and in my opinion, well thought out for canyoneering. And I'm with Eric that the Lep is awesome for the North Wash slots.