Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe Winterfest Feb 5-6 2010!

This Polish girl has never had Polish booze so Kapitan, it's ON!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I'll likewise go where the majority go without a problem but it would be easier for me to stay in SLC. Not a problem though if not
    I've decided that if most of the activities take place in SLC, I'll be staying there as well. It's just easier to shave off some drive time on the way back home. As much as I'd love to slumber party with Chere again, it wouldn't make sense for me...*plus she may be having her own kinda slumber party going on* Oops! I didn't say that. And I'll follow the majority.......

Now I'm going to shoot down my own suggestion. The hot spring would be a fun destination but I don't want to discourage anyone from coming. It would be nice to see a turn out as big as last year! So I'm thinking we should keep the snowshoeing nearer to the big valley.

(If anyone else is free Friday morning we could hit the hot spring then...)

Where then for Saturday? One of the Cottonwoods? Mill Creek? Up by Park City? Some neat stuff up American Fork canyon, that's northern Utah county, much closer than Diamond Fork and shouldn't scare anyone off...

Also, Allison, your not paying for a place to crash in SLC are you? I've always got a couch for you! Hell, I'll even clean the toilet. In fact I'd be happy to host a slumber party if Chere has her own thing going on... Friday or Saturday night or both, whatever. Wade, need a place?
    Maybe we could play some cards or throw some darts or something...

We really need some fresh snow now!

I'm not going to be able to make this one. However, if you're looking for some route suggestions--the north fork of American Fork Canyon has some great routes--especially if you link into the Ridge Trail. The trails on Box Elder that start in that area should be good for at least a few miles too. I've made a few trips up there in the past week and the snow has been nice. There was a new 9" to 12" by the time I got off the trail today

Have fun, folks. I'll see if I can link up for Saturday evening.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Hey guys sorry I have ignored this thread for the last few days. I was sorta off the grid.

Anyway we will move plans back to SLC.

I may have someone special staying at my house during the snowshoe fest but that does not mean the rest of you are not welcome! But I do understand that staying in SL is probably easier.

ALL OF YOU PRAY FOR SNOW!!!! Hell it will be nothing but a hike if we don't get snow. I will up date the first post in the thread later tonight I just got home and need to unpack everything.

GHB, YEAH!!!!! I am so happy you will be coming. Hey bring me some armor, after this weekend I am sick of trail rash. It hurts and I can't seem to stay on my bike. IDK maybe I need bubble wrap.
    Chere'

Don I may take you up on the sleepover offer but I am checking with family in SLC right now first( I will have 'errands' to run to family).
    Chere', I have some arm and leg armor in stock I can bring down to see what fits & such. Always best to try on first but I'll bring stuff that will probably work well

A quick search came up with two bars offering Karaoke on Saturday nights. I've never been to either place.

Maggie McGee's at 6253 Highland Dr., Salt Lake City
    http://www.maggiemcgees.com/

The Highlander at 6194 S Highland Dr., Holladay
    http://highlanderutah.com/

Both are upper east side which works well if we snowshoe Mill Creek or one of the Cottonwood Canyons and plan to stay on the east side. Means we need to find dinner over there.

My opinion; I like the Highlander web site, I like the name (there can be only one) and they're offering 40,000 songs for Karaoke!

I don't like Maggie McGee's 'cause the ex's maiden name is McGee. Not really a reason to dislike a bar I guess.

Some east-side food ideas:

The Porcupine Grill
    http://www.porcupinepub.com/

The Hog Wallow
    http://www.thehogwallow.com/

The Cotton Bottom
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/54/59057...Salt-Lake-City

The menu at Porcupine Grill looks pretty good IMO!

I'm not a fan of sports bars mostly because I hate televisions in bars (especially with sports on them)....I know, I know. I'm an ambiance/wine cellar/jazz club kinda of girl. Also if it's a sports bar, usually means it's not dance friendly unless of course we decide to dance on the bar? So yea........let's do a bit more searching IMO. If not, just sit me in the corner with a pitcher of beer- at the sports bar- and I will be ok.

PS- I don't like either of the names. They both sound sportsbar-ish. I'd prefer one called Bar Luxe or The Starlight Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    The menu at Porcupine Grill looks pretty good IMO!

I'm not a fan of sports bars mostly because I hate televisions in bars (especially with sports on them)....I know, I know. I'm an ambiance/wine cellar/jazz club kinda of girl. Also if it's a sports bar, usually means it's not dance friendly unless of course we decide to dance on the bar? So yea........let's do a bit more searching IMO. If not, just sit me in the corner with a pitcher of beer- at the sports bar- and I will be ok.

PS- I don't like either of the names. They both sound sportsbar-ish. I'd prefer one called Bar Luxe or The Starlight Lounge.
    Yeah, Porcupine Grill is my first choice too, but on a Saturday night in winter it may be crowded and we might want to consider a back-up plan.

Not sure we're going to find a cool lounge kind of a place with dancing and karaoke. It sounds like cool-lounge-dancing is the priority over karaoke, which is cool with me. I'll come up with some more bar suggestions...

I am easy...yeah that too.

Is the plan to meet around noonish to snowshoe and then grab a bite somewhere near the bottom? Then you midnight oil burners are going to meet later (8-9-10? No clue when the cool people meet) in the evening after showers, etc for an encore performance of solid gold n' drinks/karaoke?

If this is the case we could meet at the Bohemian Brewery for an after snowshoe get together to grab a bite and drink. A few have been there before and really like it. Its one of my favs: www.bohemianbrewery.com

Just throwing in my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    If this is the case we could meet at the Bohemian Brewery for an after snowshoe get together to grab a bite and drink. A few have been there before and really like it. Its one of my favs: www.bohemianbrewery.com

Did we meet there last time? The Bohemian? I can't remember. If so, it was really good and the beers were delish too! Too bad you can't come out and burn the midnight oil with us.

@Don- Don't mean to be a pain in the rear. Just speaking up because darnit, if I'm driving ALL THAT WAY to hang out with you guys.....let's at least find a half way decent place to chill and be fools. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

Did we meet there last time? The Bohemian? I can't remember. If so, it was really good and the beers were delish too! Too bad you can't come out and burn the midnight oil with us.

@Don- Don't mean to be a pain in the rear. Just speaking up because darnit, if I'm driving ALL THAT WAY to hang out with you guys.....let's at least find a half way decent place to chill and be fools. Ok?
    I'm good for the Bohemian too if that's the place on Fort Union kind of up the street from Hooters. I'm good for anywhere really. but that area would put me right in the middle of all my family - convenient for sleeping arrangements too.

Yep abirken we met there last time. It is kitty-corner from Hooters. So it has that going for it too.

http://www.liquidjoes.net/

Liquid Joes has the Spazmatics on Saturday nights. Play 80's music, they are a blast to watch, lots of dancing but very loud so not much talking. But close to Bohemian.

http://www.thegreenpigpub.com/

In downtown SL new to the scene I have been there on the Santa Pub Crawl it was my favorite bar of the night. Love the guy that greets ya at the door he is pretty cool cat. This bar would be more of the sit enjoy the music and chat, maybe a little dancing. We danced that night but then there were 50 Santa's in the mood.

http://www.tavernacle.com/

No dancing unless you want to dance with the piano guy. Fun there are two piano's and they try to out sing each other. This in downtown SL as well.

There is also Green Street near trolley square.

If we go to Green Pig and decide we want to move on there are several other bars in the area with in walking distance we could just wander from bar to bar.

Sounds like Bohemiam has won for dinner. Tell me which bar and I will update everthing.
    Chere'

Liquid Joes is always packed you won't get a table, likely won't get a chair and it's way too loud to hold a conversation.

The Tavernacle can be fun but again packed; get there early if you want to sit down. And no dancing; it's a piano bar. They take requests (if you tip) and play your favorite song (regardless of genre, rap, pop, rock whatever; they sing and play it on piano) unless someone pays more than you did to get them to stop playing it. Kind of annoying.

Green Street is big; plenty of room. Has pool tables, dancing and a separate, quieter bar area where we could chill by the fireplace...

Never been to the Green Pig.

I've been meaning to try A Bar Named Sue. It's gotten a lot of good reviews (local media and from friends). 42 beers on tap...

I am interested to know where is the after-party after the party?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

What about Lumpy's?

I am interested in Bar named Sue.
    Chere'

I can guarantee you an hour wait on a Saturday during ski season at the Porcupine.

Bohemian rarely has a wait.

HogWallow is great - they usually have a little band there and a small dance floor... a great casual vibe and now that you cant smoke in there is pretty cool. Pool tables, too.

Wish I could join the Saturday fun - always bad timing with me and Bogley events. Will be at sushi on Friday though (with a couple of out of town friends).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

A bar named Sue sounds killer just b/c I'm a Cash fan. But really, any of the above sound good to me with exception of Liquid Joes. Green Street sounds good too just because of it being spacious AND it has dancing. I think it would nice to be in an area where we can start at one place and move on if we wanna.........bar hop! Why not do them all???? Kapitan- After Party is at your house.

Bohemian sounds like a nice dinner plan.

A Bar Named Sue has my vote for sure. Just talked to a friend who loves that place.

Alison, speaking of Cash, did you see my FB post a week or so ago about the new album? American VI - Aint No Grave new material recorded between May of '03 (when June died) and September '03 (when Johnny died)comes out February 23!