Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Calendar Started at Year 1!

The Calendar Started at Year 1!

Why are we being bombarded by "Best of the Decade" type crap from the stupid media? Are people really that retarded that they don't understand that there's still one more year left in this decade? 2010 is NOT the start of a new decade goddamnit!

Look it's simple... 2010... they even put in the number 10 to make it easier.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: The Calendar Started at Year 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Are people really that retarded that they don't understand that there's still one more year left in this decade?
    Yes. Yes, they are.

But what about 1970, was that one of the sixties or the seventies? Years from now will we think of 2010 as part of the aughties or just great vision?

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    But what about 1970
    Dumb people think it's part of the 70's (1970-1979). Smart people know it's part of the sixties (1961-1970).

But I stopped trying to explain that to the average air sucking Walmart shopper long ago.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Look it's simple... 2010... they even put in the number 10 to make it easier.
    So 2001 was the first year of the new century? They even put in the number 1 to make it easier.

So when I was born I was really age 1?
    That's how the Chinese do it anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I think most people use the word "decade" as defined in the dictionary rather than making up their own definition. That could be the cause of your frustration, Iceaxe. Seriously, look it up, and I don't think you'll find any requirement that a decade be defined relative to any particular starting point.
    Blog | FB

Oh.... I think I understand now.... so you are arguing for the illogical concept of time rather than a mathematical one?

2010 is NOT the start of a new decade goddamnit!
    well yes it is, there is a new decade every year. i would say 1996 - 2005 was a pretty good decade. and in May of 2010 i'll be two decades old.

I see what your saying, but it gets kind of confusing when you say 70's and what you really mean is 1961 - 1970. so when you throw around the word decade just insert "ten year(s)"

just found this for you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade

both have there place but both are right and/or wrong depending on how they're used

a cultural reference, an ordinal reference
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

The 1970's were the 10 years that begun with the 197_'s. I don't know if there's any other way to explain it.

The argument however, is when did an imaginary 10 year period start and finish.

A decade begun on May 3rd 1973 and ended May 2nd 1983. It's still a decade.

No matter how you look at it, it has been 10 years since we entered "the year" 2000, and so December 31st 2009 at 11:59:59 pm will be one complete decade from the beginning of 2000.

As far as the argument goes, has it been 2000 years since the beginning, that's irrelevant because we measure "The Year of Our Lord" 2000, whether you're Christian or not. Before this, time was measured since other significant events like certain changes in government.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    As far as the argument goes, has it been 2000 years since the beginning, that's irrelevant because we measure "The Year of Our Lord" 2000, whether you're Christian or not.
    Also known as the "Common Era". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

I'm going to include 2010 in the teens, and 1970 in the '70s. I'm not an "average air sucking Walmart shopper", but neither am I pedantic. Common usage works for me.

Time begins at zero, not one. For example, if I have a kid that's less than one year old, he has still acquired age, whether it's two minutes, two weeks, or two months. With that in mind, 1-1-70 would be the first day of the seventies, and 12-31-79, would be the last day of the seventies. Thus it's entirely appropriate for the best stories of the decade to be aired now.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Time begins at zero, not one. For example, if I have a kid that's less than one year old, he has still acquired age, whether it's two minutes, two weeks, or two months. With that in mind, 1-1-70 would be the first day of the seventies, and 12-31-79, would be the last day of the seventies. Thus it's entirely appropriate for the best stories of the decade to be aired now.
    but there never was a year zero. So if a decade has 10 years, than 1 AD (ce for Kev) to 10 AD (ce for Kev) is ten years.

The concept of zero as a number & value didn't happen until 9th century.

So which decade only had 9 years?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    but there never was a year zero. So if a decade has 10 years, than 1 AD (ce for Kev) to 10 AD (ce for Kev) is ten years.

The concept of zero as a number & value didn't happen until 9th century.
    Time is measured SINCE something happened, hence "It's been 8 years since 9/11", 67 years since Pearl Harbor....

If something happened last month, the 1 year count is not in effect. The "year 1" only starts after it's been 1 year since the significant event, and in our case, "The Year of Our Lord". We could call it the Common Era, but it's still the same measurement.

Let's say for some reason we decided to change our whole calendar, and start counting time from some significant event, like the city of Atlantis rising from the ocean or making contact with another alien life form on March 2 2011.

On March 2 2021, it will be 10 years since.... and if we would count that as "10 years after". On another note, 10 years after, would also be "in the 11th year".

That's the real argument. Am I 33 years old, or am I in my 34th year of age?

Dumb people think it's part of the 70's (1970-1979). Smart people know it's part of the sixties (1961-1970).

But I stopped trying to explain that to the average air sucking Walmart shopper long ago.
    Iceaxe: Gimme your best decade.

Walmart pharmacist: What?

Iceaxe: You know, whadyacallit, Niagara, the blue pill thingie.

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    Iceaxe: Gimme your best decade.
    Oh... the 80's were my finest decade... I was the king of the world in the 80's....

Young, single, well to-to-do, professional athlete.... yeah... the 80's were a tough time in my life....

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    So which decade only had 9 years?
    None of them. As Sombeech says, it began with an event. The event was the year of Christ's birth. Whether zero was a concept unknown until the 9th century or not, that was when our modern system of dates began. Thus, one year after Christ was born, was A.D. 1. That year is thus accounted for.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    None of them. As Sombeech says, it began with an event. The event was the year of Christ's birth. Whether zero was a concept unknown until the 9th century or not, that was when our modern system of dates began. Thus, one year after Christ was born, was A.D. 1. That year is thus accounted for.
    No it wasn