Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FreezeFlop VIII (Update 12/31)

FreezeFlop VIII (Update 12/31)

It was going so well. Conditions were brutal, but we were operating. 4-5 feet of snow in canyons, bridges, beautiful stuff. We persevered. After one group went through, it was more viable for the next groups, hopefully setting it up for the next groups this weekend. Did I mention the canyons are extremely beautiful?

Leprechaun took 3 hours, full wetsuits, and came out grinning looking like frosty the snowman. We tried expanding out hard day, went to bed last night full of enthusiasm, only to wake up at 1:30 this morning to hear a funny sound...

So here we are sitting at the Off Shore Marina, with 3-4 inches of fresh snow, eating really bad food, and looking out to a huge blanket of neverending snow... The thing that really matters, this fresh snow completely does it in. We can't get on any slickrock. Complete coverage.

Bottom line, there's nothing to do out here.

As of right now, a handful of us are planning on sticking it out. But if you come, come prepared. We are still praying for a miracle and hoping to do the black hole somehow, someway on January 1st. Someone come keep us company.

Signed - Dan, Ram, Aaron, Chris, Rich, Mike, and company....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don't give up! Have fun, damn it, have fun!

Hope you can make the Black Hole thing work. If not, I'm sure the stories are great!

Hang on hardy canyoneers... good food is coming. I see a modified surf and turf in your future on Friday night. (How does clam chowder and dutch oven roast sound? Oh and the warm desserts too.) Save some snow for the rest of us.
    Life is Good

So here's the deal - Many of us are sticking it out. If you want to come down, just know it's pretty nasty. We are going to do some conservative canyons from the bottom the next couple days, and hope to fix ropes on the exit of the black hole, and try and make it happen. At the very least, we are staying until New Years.

So if you're coming down, still come. Just know conditions have changed... And canyons may be out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    So here's the deal - Many of us are sticking it out. If you want to come down, just know it's pretty nasty. We are going to do some conservative canyons from the bottom the next couple days, and hope to fix ropes on the exit of the black hole, and try and make it happen. At the very least, we are staying until New Years.

So if you're coming down, still come. Just know conditions have changed... And canyons may be out of the question.
    So far you have said nothing to change my mind. In fact, I really want to see the winter wonder land in the desert. I still intend to come. I think the Mapleton boys, at least some of us will still come down for Friday and Saturday.
    Life is Good

Thanks for the update....

Stick it out!

('Hope someone brought avalanche experience. Tee Hee)

I propose switching the fun...draiser criteria from the # of folks who drop into the depths of The Black Hole to the # of folks who stick out it out until the New Year.

'Still wish I was there.

Great photo! Stick it out!

If you're not home by June, I'll come & bring you some warm clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L

Or we could call the local S&R, they should be plenty experienced by now

Re: FreezeFlop VIII (Update 12/29)

only to wake up at 1:30 this morning to hear a funny sound...
    What was the sound?

James

Re: FreezeFlop VIII (Update 12/29)

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    only to wake up at 1:30 this morning to hear a funny sound...
    What was the sound?
    Weeping?

Actually, I'm going to guess snow against the tent.

Sorry to hear that friend. I hope you guys have a great time and are rewarded for your dedication and I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L

Tell them not to bring sandals on this rescue mission.

Bogley BigShot
    Sounds Fun! No Canyons.. lots of men. I should be there instead of sunny, warm LV.

OMG!!! Thanks a lot you jerk! You almost made me choke on the food I was eating I laughed so hard! There should be a warning before I read a comment that funny.

They probably don't do rescues when it's snowing though. You would have to wait a bit.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

BTW, no disrespect to S&R folks by any means. Those guys rock.

How are you hard core canyoneers doing down there? We need an update!

BTW, no disrespect to S&R folks by any means. Those guys rock.
    Good recovery!

I'd hate to have them be disheartened by this group.

I've been consumed with disappointment in having to cancel my trip to ff, but I'm over it now. I can't wait to see pictures of all the snow!

How are you hard core canyoneers doing down there? We need an update!
    The latest ('tis no flop!)

Just heard from the FreezeFolk...

Conditions continue to be tough, but rewarding ("sublime," even). Snow-covered slickrock has forced the devout to make overland approaches from above to canyons such as blarney and shillelagh. And they are loving it!

Other news:

15 new arrivals last night - total of 36 so far.

- a group of 10 did maidenwater today. 6ft snow in places with heavy spindrift - "sublime" said Ramoo
    - 2 groups did blarney, one all female
    - another group in shamrock
    - and another slid a hog

This aft is a black hole recon for the New Year's Day descent to see if fixed ropes are necessary. Wish I was there!

Sweet. Thanks Hank for the update. I am still slated to feed on Friday night weather permitting. My one and only concern is an early morning departure from Mapleton through Spanish Fork canyon with another storm looming. If I am a no show, that is the reason - Highway 6 in the snow.
    Life is Good